• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Christian Music Recommendations?

ProfessorDeac

Reaction score
Response: It's all bad, you FSM-believing moron.

Okay, now that we've gotten that out of the way, I'd love to hear your suggestions. I've been wanting to listen to more Christian music, but I hate pop country and emo whining, which is just about all you hear on Christian radio. I like music with some real creativity and thoughtfulness, in both lyrics and composition. Right now all I've got is Handel's Messiah and some Sufjan Stevens (which I don't consider whining, though you may disagree).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
41XSfD2FURL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hillsong United is pretty big out there now and a lot of their stuff is upbeat. Chris Tomlin is also big right now.

+1 for Hillsong United. Started with their album 'Aftermath' and really enjoyed it. Not sure what kind of church you attend, but you may find that a lot of the songs you sing on Sunday are done by them (or at least covered - in all honesty I'm not sure if they wrote them).

+1 for Hillsong United. Started with their album 'Aftermath' and really enjoyed it. Not sure what kind of church you attend, but you may find that a lot of the songs you sing on Sunday are done by them (or at least covered - in all honesty I'm not sure if they wrote them).

I saw them a few months ago at the Greensboro Coliseum. They put on a heck of a show, and I was amazed at how they've grown from a simple church praise band Down Under.

I'm a long-term fan of Bruce Cockburn. Quite the artist, IMO. And a self-identified Christian, of a sort. But his art for the most part isn't overtly so.

Being that you like Sufjan you can try listening to David Bazan, Damien Jurado, Bill Mallonee or Dension Witmer.

Chris tomlin, casting crowns, mercy me, David crowder band are my favorites.

Try

All Sons and Daughters - Try brokenness aside first and go from there
Gungor - start with Beautiful Things
The above two are stylistically similar to the Civil Wars

Derek Webb
John Mark McMillan (he's actually the one who wrote the How He Loves song sung by Crowder in this thread) - I'd start with Death in His Grave and Skeleton Bones

Seeing him May 11 @ Summit it Durham/Raleigh. Love the whole label he created. Each & every one of them are great. Go to reachrecords.com & check them all out.

Back