• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Christianity: Trying to disprove homosexuality for the past 2000 years

DeacFan2010

Reaction score
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/04/study-supporting-gay-conversion-challenged/

Study supporting gay conversion challenged

A study designed by professors from two religious universities says that some people can change their sexual orientation after undergoing years of a ministry program.

“Evidence from the study suggested that change of homosexual orientation appears possible for some and that psychological distress did not increase on average as a result of the involvement in the change process,” wrote the authors of a study published in The Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy.

The authors are both psychologists who work at religious universities. Stanton Jones is a psychology professor and provost at Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois, and Mark Yarhouse is a professor of mental health at Regent University, in Virginia Beach, which was founded by televangelist Pat Robertson.

Fuck Pat Robertson and fuck these stupid christian colleges that espouse this absolute bullshit across the United States. It is really a sad thing that idiots believe this stuff. Do you have nothing better to do with your time? Institutes of higher learning, my ass.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Lectro tells us that this works.

Facepalm

I expect this study to be discredited, either because it can't be replicated or because it used incorrect/misleading metrics (e.g., the difference between behavior and sexual orientation). But if it's confirmed and research ends up showing that something like 23% of people are able to change their sexual orientation, it doesn't seem like that big a deal, either. Each person, gay or straight, would know they have something like a 23% chance of being able to change their orientation, provided they go through extremely long processes that can risk making them depressed or worse.

Even if true what this "proves" is that sexual orientation is a "choice" even if unconsciously. That changes nothing in my view. I don't care if homosexuality (or heterosexuality for that matter) is a choice. I don't think people should receive preferential treatment or discrimination because of who they chose to sleep with.

[CousinEddie/] She falls in a well, she likes chowing box. She gets kicked by a mule, she goes back to the cock. I don't know. [/CousinEddie]

I expect this study to be discredited, either because it can't be replicated or because it used incorrect/misleading metrics (e.g., the difference between behavior and sexual orientation)..
Why, just because you don't agree with people trying to change their sexual preference?

This type of research is far broader in application than you think because it gets into the ability to change behavior that is hardwired. I see nothing wrong with these conclusions, or the desire of some to change their sexual preference.

Even if true what this "proves" is that sexual orientation is a "choice" even if unconsciously. That changes nothing in my view. I don't care if homosexuality (or heterosexuality for that matter) is a choice. I don't think people should receive preferential treatment or discrimination because of who they chose to sleep with.

Bingo.

Why, just because you don't agree with people trying to change their sexual preference?

This type of research is far broader in application than you think because it gets into the ability to change behavior that is hardwired. I see nothing wrong with these conclusions, or the desire of some to change their sexual preference.

The question is what if they are right? Is it really hardwired?

Ok, if this is true, and it is a choice, then it should be able to work both ways. Theoretically, you should be able to turn a straight person gay using the same methods. Right?

Ok, if this is true, and it is a choice, then it should be able to work both ways. Theoretically, you should be able to turn a straight person gay using the same methods. Right?

That's what the purple teletubby is for.

You can't have it both ways. Is it "hardwired" or changeable?

problem with people being "ok" with the "choice" thing being proven or whatever is that conservatives will use that as ammunition to continue to restrict the rights of certain people

No, because the bulk of the research has come out the other way. Actually, it's always seemed intuitive to me that whether you date guys or girls is influenced by both nature and nurture, genetics and choice, though more heavily on the genetics side. But my intuition doesn't matter. That's why we have science. And the bulk of the science says it's not a choice. As I said before, if it turns out not to be 100% genetics, I won't be too surprised, nor do I think it's a big deal. But I doubt this study is going to change everything--looks like it was designed a little too much with a certain result in mind (not to say there aren't studies on the other side that are also designed with the result in mind).

Also, I agree that, obviously, choice vs. genetics makes no difference w/r/t the need for full human rights.

The thread title seems misleading, IMO.

Who is trying to "disprove" homosexuality? Is anyone arguing that some people are not attracted to members of their own gender? I don't think so.

That's the line the Republican politicians will use to explain their bathroom dalliances.

You can't have it both ways. Is it "hardwired" or changeable?
That's not true at all. The brain is like an onion. It evolved in layers. There are many behaviors that are hardwired in many lower parts of our brain, but cognition gives us the ability to choose and change that behavior. The question really is, when that happens is the original wiring remodeled or have we bypassed it with a new set of higher level connections/synapses. What we'd really like to find out is what it takes to override or rewire hardwired behaviors. There are many such behaviors that are extremely destructive.

That's not true at all. The brain is like an onion. It evolved in layers. There are many behaviors that are hardwired in many lower parts of our brain, but cognition gives us the ability to choose and change that behavior. The question really is, when that happens is the original wiring remodeled or have we bypassed it with a new set of higher level connections/synapses. What we'd really like to find out is what it takes to override or rewire hardwired behaviors. There are many such behaviors that are extremely destructive.

I see what you're saying, but aren't most the hardwired/lower brain parts of our brain executed without the rest of our brain having to think about it? Our heart beats, our body knows to breath when we're sleeping, etc.

I don't consider being gay as "extremely destructive".

Can we all just agree that hot lesbians going at it, is hot? That feels like common ground to me. I don't want to convert that.

Back