• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cicadas: Brood II

WilmingtonDeac

Reaction score
Heard about this on the radio this morning and was wondering if anyone has seen any of these yet?

My Dad sent me a few pics of some this morning from Rockingham County, NC so I'm assuming they're starting to emerge today..

When Labs dream, Cicada broods are what they dream about.

First time I witnessed these little shits I was living in a cabin on the side of a mountain. You had to cover your drinks when outside to keep cicada crap out of them. My English setter went nuts chasing them around. The sheep dog was always trying to cut the setter off (drover's instinct), so it was quite a show. Cats will trap them, but apparently don't care for the taste.

I was working in rural Kentucky the last year these were a big issue up there. You couldn't go outside without getting hit by at least one flying around. It was ridiculous, and particularly treacherous to drive anywhere with the windows down. Catch one coming in the window when you're driving a mountain road at 45mph... yikes.

I hope my french bulldogs don't get sick from eating them. Those dumb dogs love chasing flying insects.

having an outdoor wedding reception on June 1 in central VA, keeping my fingers crossed it's not a big deal

I lived in MD during the Cicada-fest of 2004 (Brood X). There was just a constant drone of noise, and those fuckers were everywhere including cars, houses, businesses, etc.

How bad is it supposed to be in NC this time around?

Last edited:
having an outdoor wedding reception on June 1 in central VA, keeping my fingers crossed it's not a big deal

Do you have a tent, canopy or the sort? They're already hatching in parts of central VA. They'll be around 6-8 weeks, IIRC.

Epic (at least as defined by Urban Dictionary standards) fly fishing opportunities. They are like fish crack being sprinkled on the water.

Uh oh.

I was reading that they will really start coming out when the ground temperature hits like 63 or 64 or something, so they're predicted to come out in the DC area end of May/early June (and probably a little earlier in Central VA).

I was in DC summer of 2004 when Brood X hit and it was crazy. Have heard that II may not be as bad, but I expect it will be kind of nuts.

Basically I'm not sure if my fiancée knows about this. But she's so stressed about the wedding as is, so I don't want to add another thing to her stress, especially when it's something she has no control over.

We have tents, so hopefully it won't be too big a deal.

Here's a map showing where they've been seen so far:
http://www.magicicada.org/databases/magicicada/map.html

Check with your local agricultural extension office to see if the brood is expected to hit the area...not all of Virginia will get hit.

I just read the following from the Washington Post..."One woman told me her outdoor Montgomery County wedding was June 1 and asked what should she do,” Williams recalled. “I said you can make it a cicada-themed wedding because that’s what it’s going to be"

Last edited:
Good friend of mine (and fellow wake grad) is getting married at a winery in Charlottesville in early June.

Could be trouble.

I'm gonna be so disappointed if they aren't in my area. It looks like they should be, but we'll find out. Don't think the soil temps have gotten high enough for them to hatch yet anyways.

I don't think I've ever really experienced Cicadas since I grew up in FL...they seem fascinating. Bury in the ground for 17 years then all basically emerge at the same time for a mating frenzy before dying.

I was absolutely fascinated by them in DC 2004. Didn't think I'd see them again so soon, so I'm kind of excited.

They emerged during our baseball season and we would go to town on them. Our field backed up to the woods and during the hot days we'd cool off in the shade for a bit, shake the trees to get the cicadas out then have batting practice on them. Our bats would be covered in cicada goo, we'd just wipe them off and get back to work. It was great entertainment.

Ugh I hate these things, so gross looking.

Back