• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cicadas

We have more than our share in northern Forsyth County. It sounds like the old War of the Worlds movie outside.

We got a good laugh the other day when my mother referred to them as quesadillas.

These bastards are all over my yard and are loud as hell except when it rains.

They're finally calming down here in western RIC after a month or so. I measured the din at 75 DB. Sounded like Mars Attacks.

Edit: I took this video three weekends ago I think, just to capture the noise.

http://youtu.be/uxT5DjE5_gI

everywhere in Stokes. You can go to any tree and grab about 50 if you wanted.

I was @ my parents' house in Stoneville, NC this past weekend and their neighborhood is overrun. You can go a mile down the road and not hear a one though.

You shouldn't.

http://www.cicadamania.com/pictures/main.php?g2_itemId=3618
main.php

Ahhh. Good to know. Thanks Racer.

They are very present here in the Pfafftown/Bethania area now. Each day seems a little louder than the previous.

I have a FB friend who lives 2 miles from me who was inundated. I have yet to see one.

Still haven't seen a live one. I've found a couple dead ones, some exoskeletons, and I've definitely heard them but not to 2004 mid-Atlantic levels.

Still haven't seen a live one. I've found a couple dead ones, some exoskeletons, and I've definitely heard them but not to 2004 mid-Atlantic levels.

Heard a few last night, but haven't seen a live one either. Or a dead one for that matter.

I was reviewing this thread last night, in particular, revisiting Racer's reminder that Charlotte will not be part of the cicada's periodic arrivals, when one flew into the house through my open back door. The thing is flying around my living room, screaming horribly, with me trying to swat at it with a dish towel. So, I did what any red blooded American male would do under the circumstances. . .I went and got my wife. She dug the creature out of the corner and picked it up. Knowing that she was about to fuck with me -- and not being particularly fond of insects -- I ran like hell for the front door.

Not one of my prouder moments. . .

I was reviewing this thread last night, in particular, revisiting Racer's reminder that Charlotte will not be part of the cicada's periodic arrivals, when one flew into the house through my open back door. The thing is flying around my living room, screaming horribly, with me trying to swat at it with a dish towel. So, I did what any red blooded American male would do under the circumstances. . .I went and got my wife. She dug the creature out of the corner and picked it up. Knowing that she was about to fuck with me -- and not being particularly fond of insects -- I ran like hell for the front door.

Not one of my prouder moments. . .

LOL.

We have Cicadas in Charlotte every summer...there are annual (2-5 year life span, but they aren't synchronized, so some appear every summer) and periodical (13 and 17 year broods that are synchronized and all appear together in a given area after their 13 or 17 year wait underground) Cicadas. As far as I can hear/tell by just walking outside or see predicted from any maps, Charlotte isn't in one of the 13 or 17 year cycles this summer. I think 2017 is our next round of 17 year Cicadas and 2024 is the next round of 13 year.

Same. I'm confused, though. 2004 was epic, as was (I assume) late 80's. I remember being a young kid and seeing them everywhere in the backyard. The video says every 17 years, so why are they around now if they were heavy in 04?

ETA: Guess we're dealing with Brood II now? I didn't know there were so many types.

Last edited:
LOL.

We have Cicadas in Charlotte every summer...there are annual (2-5 year life span, but they aren't synchronized, so some appear every summer) and periodical (13 and 17 year broods that are synchronized and all appear together in a given area after their 13 or 17 year wait underground) Cicadas. As far as I can hear/tell by just walking outside or see predicted from any maps, Charlotte isn't in one of the 13 or 17 year cycles this summer. I think 2017 is our next round of 17 year Cicadas and 2024 is the next round of 13 year.

Now you tell me. . .where were you last night when the fucking back door was wide open?!

:)

Same. I'm confused, though. 2004 was epic, as was (I assume) late 80's. I remember being a young kid and seeing them everywhere in the backyard. The video says every 17 years, so why are they around now if they were heavy in 04?

ETA: Guess we're dealing with Brood II now? I didn't know there were so many types.

Yeah. Brood X (based off your link) was epic in Maryland circa 2004. And on most of the East Coast.

Back