• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Classy

RJ -

The head of the nail has been hit.

And if I may add....no depth at all.

Reality is in short supply here....as I suspect it is at GT and BC these days.

I'm beginning to think RJ doesn't watch the games so you must not either of you're actually agreeing with him on this.

To start the second half we gave up something like a 10-0 run. We went about 6 minutes without scoring. That's fairly normal for us. What the hell does that have to do with depth?

If we had been down by 5 instead of up by 7 at half time it would have been a blowout by 15 minutes to go in the second.

Last edited:
I feel like if you break down a lot of "coach speak" it is inaccurate. How many times in blow out wins (not ours of course) have you heard the winning coach say,"Our opponent has a lot of talent and really hustled today. They have a great squad and are well coached."

Sure, sometimes that's true but most of the time your team won by 30 because the other team didn't have lots of talent, didn't hustle, and were poorly coached.

Agreed. UVA was up 40-19 at halftime and started the second half on a 10-2 run to push it to 50-21. I have no clue what to call that, but it's not purely a depth issue.

Their six-man rotation wore us down. Same thing with State in Raleigh. Tough to compete when the other team gets 27 minutes and 2 points from their bench.

To start the second half we gave up something like a 10-0 run. We went about 6 minutes without scoring. That's fairly normal for us. What the hell does that have to do with depth?

Obviously our players are getting worn out on the walk between the court and locker room.

Racer -

Originally Posted by RJKarl
You can't win or keep games close if your talent is deficient. You can dream about it, but it isn't reality.

Less talented teams can't win or keep games close?

Respectfully, there's a distinct difference between deficient and less talented.

You can't win or keep games close if your talent is deficient. You can dream about it, but it isn't reality.

Boston College blows this argument out of the water.

The levels that people sink to in sad attempts to defend this terrible coach is astounding.

Respectfully, there's a distinct difference between deficient and less talented.

Since it's distinct, please define the difference for me.

Seems like it's far from distinct and is very very relative/subjective. Take UNCG for example. At one point in the season, many would say they were "talent deficient" compared to their league. With a new coach, suddenly opposing teams now appear to be "less talented."

Last edited:
Why do people keep pointing to BC as some sort of paramount of overachieving? Are you forgetting the fact that we beat them by 15 on their own floor? And it's not like we have a recent tradition of conference road success

TBR -

Nothing at all.

Just like our 11-0 run in the 2nd half had nothing to do with depth.

Why do people keep pointing to BC as some sort of paramount of overachieving? Are you forgetting the fact that we beat them by 15 on their own floor? And it's not like we have a recent tradition of conference road success

Probably because on the same night we regressed to being blown our by UVA, they improved and knocked off the hottest team in the ACC. They are a talent deficient team that has improved over the season and has been coached up to beat more talented teams. Getting better over the course of the season is hardly a lofty goal, but one that evades us nonetheless.

rjkarl: deflecting blame from management since 1908.

Racer -

Since it's distinct, please define the difference for me.

Again respectfully....I'm confident you get my POV drift.

Does anyone think that BC has more talent than we do? They don't get blown out as often as we do or by as much. Heck, we beat them in Boston.

Does anyone think that BC has more talent than we do? They don't get blown out as often as we do or by as much. Heck, we beat them in Boston.

:D

Exactly. Folks claim we are talent deficient, so when BC's win over FSU is brought up, it's quickly countered that we beat BC at home. So, they must be more talent deficient than us, right? But, how does a talent deficient team beat FSU? Such a conundrum.

Last edited:
Racer -

Again respectfully....I'm confident you get my POV drift.

I don't even know what a point of view drift is. If there's such a distinction between "talent deficient" and "less talented", I would assume you could easily explain it to me.

Near the end of the game (before Ty's 2 pointer), the announcers pointed out that neither team had any bench scoring. - Does allow a discussion about depth.

Back