• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Credibile! (will reconsider if he sits Newman for another scrappy gym rat QB)

Playcalling is just questionable. Its the scheme that is unrealistic and unimaginative garbage. Its year four, and no change. Which means its never changing. Bye Bye Dave.

A lot of drama here for losing on the road to a good team. The offense was good in the first half. As Clawson said, we need to put that together for an entire game. That doesn't seem so far-fetched.

The 10-year contract means nothing, all that matters is the buy out. If you wanted to part ways.

I'm glad Clawson has raised the expectations around here......Ga Tech almost beat a top ten team on the road last week. they don't suck

The first half was the best play calling and execution all year. I think they adjusted at half and we failed to. Not so concerned about lack of wolford running..I believe they were tying to protect that shoulder. You saw he winced when he was sacked. The comment about Dortch is ridiculous. He was a decoy a lot of the game leaving the outside receivers one on one and opening it up for Hines. Despite that he had a lot of touches. Two things that concern me..I do not think Serigne was targeted the whole game-he is a huge weapon. Using Byrd the entire third quarter after Carney pounded them the entire first half. Not converting on third and 2 and fourth and one at the end is due to the scheme with our offensive line in two point stance-no way to fire off and push back the D-line. Frustrating loss but I can't blame this one on play calling

Love Clawson, not a fan of Ruggiero solely because of play calling. I actually really like us running the RPO’s and think it fits our skill set perfectly.

Plenty of blame to go around for this loss, much like the FSU loss. Defense gets negative plays, but also gives up big plays. They also dont force many turnovers. The offense can make big plays, but can't make the little plays to sustain drives and give the D a rest.

I think the coaches have put us in a position to win games with the game prep, but there are too many critical mistakes by players and coaches in game for us to win against teams we are evenly matched with.

The first half was the best play calling and execution all year. I think they adjusted at half and we failed to. Not so concerned about lack of wolford running..I believe they were tying to protect that shoulder. You saw he winced when he was sacked. The comment about Dortch is ridiculous. He was a decoy a lot of the game leaving the outside receivers one on one and opening it up for Hines. Despite that he had a lot of touches. Two things that concern me..I do not think Serigne was targeted the whole game-he is a huge weapon. Using Byrd the entire third quarter after Carney pounded them the entire first half. Not converting on third and 2 and fourth and one at the end is due to the scheme with our offensive line in two point stance-no way to fire off and push back the D-line. Frustrating loss but I can't blame this one on play calling

I completely missed it if Hines and Dortch were in at the same time. Hines is Dortch's backup.

I assume you're against Dortch (or Hines) getting carries, then?

Is Ruggiero worse than Lobo?

I think so, although I admit I'm biased.

Lobo is really smart. I remember a quote "This isn't rocket science, I should know, I almost was one." But he tried to adapt. We went to the spread with Riley Skinner, 4 and 5 WR a lot. Not sure that worked out better than if we stuck to a run dominated offense, but we won a lot of games and went to a lot of bowls. The talent on the last few Grobe teams was bad, on them for not recruiting better for sure, but hard to really tell how play calling was because we started STachitis at QB, and 3 offensive lineman that shouldn't have been on scholarship. I remember the first play Lobo got criticized for was the shotgun give to Barclay on 4th and 1 around their 20 down 6 or 7. That purdue D had, IIRC 4-5 guys on their D play in the NFL. Has Wolford taken a snap under center this year?

I don't know how you explain a run on 3rd and 8 in the redzone. I don't understand, down 7, how, after 2 straight first downs throwing the ball, you run 3 straight times, then throw a streak down the sideline on 4th down into double coverage. Lobo was charged with evolving the pistol offense that Calhoun ran that we ran pretty well into Riley Skinner's strength's, and then coming up with an offense after Wake's greatest QB ever graduated, with dwindling talent. I think he's over-criticized, and did some great things for us as an OC. Air force is 5th in the nation in their rushing attack. He's not a dummy.

This probably goes in the unpopular opinion thread.

Hell no. But the lowest of bars.

The 4th & 1 did bring back memories of Purdue '03 when we all began to realize what we were stuck with

Many teams run purely shotgun, so many teams run a shotgun on 4th and 1. That D had half NFL talent. The previous week, Lobo's O ran up 21 first half points on the Number 12 (iirc) NC State team. and finished with 38? (31 if we want to subtract the Idellette punt return). I don't think that purdue call said anything. We were just used to seeing the option. He tried to outsmart purdue by showing a pass look, then running it. Stuart Swiegert would have blown up ANY running play with how much penetration he got.

Purdue D:
DE Shaun Phillips (4th round pick), 11 year NFL career, pro bowler
DT Craig Terrill (6th round pick), 7 year NFL career
LB Niko Koutouvides (4th round pick), 9 year NFL career
LB Landon Johnson (3rd round pick) 8 year NFL career
S Stuart Schweigert (3rd round pick) 5 year NFL career
S Bernard Pollard (2nd round pick) 9 year NFL career
CB Jacques Reeves (7th round pick) 8 year NFL career

Sometimes the opponent is just better. So you say you don't run into that front 7, plus those safeties. IF we throw, Lobo gets crap for throwing the ball on 4th and 1, years later.

Last edited:
Hard to say he outsmarted anybody with a passing look on 4th and 1 when everybody knew what run was coming.

I think so, although I admit I'm biased.

Lobo is really smart. I remember a quote "This isn't rocket science, I should know, I almost was one." But he tried to adapt. We went to the spread with Riley Skinner, 4 and 5 WR a lot. Not sure that worked out better than if we stuck to a run dominated offense, but we won a lot of games and went to a lot of bowls. The talent on the last few Grobe teams was bad, on them for not recruiting better for sure, but hard to really tell how play calling was because we started STachitis at QB, and 3 offensive lineman that shouldn't have been on scholarship. I remember the first play Lobo got criticized for was the shotgun give to Barclay on 4th and 1 around their 20 down 6 or 7. That purdue D had, IIRC 4-5 guys on their D play in the NFL. Has Wolford taken a snap under center this year?

I don't know how you explain a run on 3rd and 8 in the redzone. I don't understand, down 7, how, after 2 straight first downs throwing the ball, you run 3 straight times, then throw a streak down the sideline on 4th down into double coverage. Lobo was charged with evolving the pistol offense that Calhoun ran that we ran pretty well into Riley Skinner's strength's, and then coming up with an offense after Wake's greatest QB ever graduated, with dwindling talent. I think he's over-criticized, and did some great things for us as an OC. Air force is 5th in the nation in their rushing attack. He's not a dummy.

Lobo is not the OC at Air Force. He's the OL coach.

Lobo is not the OC at Air Force. He's the OL coach.

Lobo's Oline has lead an Air Force's rushing attack to 5th in the nation. I'm fairly sure he has some input on play calls, given his relationship with Calhoun, though.

Hard to say he outsmarted anybody with a passing look on 4th and 1 when everybody knew what run was coming.

What play call would you run, Ph, into a 5 NFL front 7 guys, and 3 NFL Dbs?

Not sure what Play would have worked against this. Every run play was getting blown up. QB gets sacked immediately if we pass.

Last edited:

Your Oline has to pick up more than 2 guys of their blitzing 7 to have any chance at any play working.

Just a reminder of what we're talking about:

It's weird to hype of the offensive cred of an OC from a game in which the offense scored 10 points.

Back