• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson is a foodie (SI article)

Didn't know Clawson had recruited Bryce Petty and Tahj Boyd to UT before the staff got canned.

I think Grobe was let go right around the right time. Gotta remember 2011 we easily could've made the ACCCG but we did our typical piss a game away late deal vs. Clemson.

Given Ron's handling of other sports I'm actually pleasantly surprised he stepped up and made the move in 2013 and didn't allow things to get worse. We also may not have been as lucky to find a coach of Clawson's caliber who was interested in the job in other years

I think Grobe was let go right around the right time. Gotta remember 2011 we easily could've made the ACCCG but we did our typical piss a game away late deal vs. Clemson.

Given Ron's handling of other sports I'm actually pleasantly surprised Bob McCreary stepped up and made the move in 2013 and didn't allow things to get worse. We also may not have been as lucky to find a coach of Clawson's caliber who was interested in the job in other years

Fixed it for you.

I don't follow recruiting closely. Did Grobe really change that much over his tenure? I mean is there any recruiting at all involved at a service academy? I'm not knocking him at all. What he did for our program was amazing but I always saw him as a life-first kind of guy who relied on redshirting and snot bubbles and good defensive coordinators. Maybe others who follow things more closely can say better but I just think he is who he is.

Based on what I heard from a buddy who was on the staff pretty early in Grobe's tenure, this is kind of the impression I had. My buddy loved Grobe, but he has always been a big golf guy who didn't log the hours you hear stories of other coaches putting in. I don't think that changed much, I just think he couldn't keep the staff up at the level it needed to be when people left.

and golf

lots of golf

He put up an impressive 82 @ grandfather mountain cc in our group last month. Seems like he hasn't quit the habit.

Also of note, Will Healy from Austin Peay shot a 75. His name will become a lot better known in cfb very soon.

IIRC, one of Grobe's sons is a golf pro/instructor.

Steve Spurrier is one of the all-time coaching greats and golf was always a major priority for the Old Ball Coach.

Last edited:
One of my favorite Clawson quotes was from his opening press conference when he said something to the effect of “I don’t play golf. I don’t have that much free time. Any free time I do have I spend with my family.”

One of my favorite Clawson quotes was from his opening press conference when he said something to the effect of “I don’t play golf. I don’t have that much free time. Any free time I do have I spend with my family.”

I'm an avid golfer, but I liked that too.

So I take it Clawson and Grobe aren't going to be going to Waffle House together anytime soon?

he HAD to say this to appease the rabid wake forest football fanbase!

It is nice when your head coach has the highest expectations for the program of anyone, and doesn't make excuses

If it's good enough for Bourdain.

Posted this on the Football Recruiting Thread, but please, for the love of God, WILL THE WAKE FOREST SPORTS MARKETING DEPARTMENT PLEASE SIEZE ON A MOMENT??? Clawson "The Foodie" Coach needs to catch on! Have him post where he stops on the recruiting trail on Twitter. Rate the food at the concessions stands with Clawson gives it 5 Stars. Clawson needs to rate his recruits and recruiting restaurant stops by the 5 star rating system. This is a thing. Please run with it. We need to be promoting our program, the Clawson as a Foodie is a moment.

Coach eats gnocchi with chanterelle mushrooms. Spragoo LOSES HIS MIND !

Back