• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Press Conference

Oh I definitely expect us to suck for a couple of years, but just watching that press conference, if a guy that can articulate a plan for success the way he has is ultimately not able to succeed at Wake (and I'm talking about winning records and bowl games, not winning the conference), then again I really wonder if anyone can sustain success here.

Agreed. I'm excited and will actually go to some games this year.

Our presumptive starting QB for next year has completed 29% of his passes (7-24) with three interceptions, and the guy who caught 60% of our passes last year before getting hurt graduated. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the pessimism is coming from.

So I mean really, he was more like 10 of 24, right?

I think it is a little early to write off Cameron is all. No one else is capable on the roster though which is why I believe one of the freshman will back him up, but we will see.

Realistically, he's going to have to be heads and shoulders better than both of Clawson's guys to play.

I guess I'm drinking the Clawson Kool-Aid, but I think we get 6 wins and go bowling next year. I sense a turnaround similar to the one mentioned above in Grobe's first year. Difference is in 2014, we won't get left out of the bowl games with 6 wins, like we did Grobie's first year.

Realistically, he's going to have to be heads and shoulders better than both of Clawson's guys to play.

I think judgement on Cameron should be reversed until, 1- We see what how Clawson's staff coaches him up, and 2- he gets better opportunities to show his abilities than just in mop up time against 2 of the best teams in the country.

Ph -

We had a bad team last year and finished 4-8 with three losses by 3 or less. The idea that we will be as bad or worse than that with a coach we are all optimistic about seems weird.

Understand but don't have to tell you every year is a new ball game both for us as well as our opponents. On paper right now we look weaker/thinner as a whole on offense and despite losing our entire front 3 plus a decent LB, the defense looks maybe about the same/maybe a tad better potentially. Special teams ? Well, at least we'll have a designated coach in this critical area for the first time so that's a plus right there.

Our opponents ? Who knows ! FSU is loaded/reloaded, VT figures to be better, Duke now has a solid footing, Clemson maybe just very good....heck, I have no feel for ULM and I'm guessing Utah State is gonna be tougher than some folks think - paricularly out there.

Stating the obvious....we'll see.

I think judgement on Cameron should be reversed until, 1- We see what how Clawson's staff coaches him up, and 2- he gets better opportunities to show his abilities than just in mop up time against 2 of the best teams in the country.

True. Especially point 1. Tanner got worse under Grobe & Co. Pretty incredible.

So if you think he's a good player, you should think he's a bad player. And if you think he's a bad player, you should think he's a good player.

Cameron and Sousa will get their shot in the spring. If one is impressive, they will enter August as the starter. Otherwise, the competition will be wide open.

I think it comes down to the OL. If the Hogs up front can run block, then our QB's job will be easier. If the new QB has to save us because we have no running game (like last year) we're screwed. It all starts up front.

Ugh, schedule's tougher than I expected since VT and Louisville is on it.

Still there are 6 wins there.

Deac76 is on it. OL has been awful for last 2 years so tough to evaluate qb's. With an average OL in 2011, Price was good. Cameron was offered by everyone. So was Sousa. Doesn't mean they will be good but if either of those two committed right now with the offers they had out of high school, this board would go nuts. Agree with PH Deac, you have to expect a decent year if Clawson is all he is expected to be. If not, you will get a tough year.

How much contact has Clawson had with current players? We hear they love him, but has he given out playbooks, or anything like that? Will day 1 of spring ball be their first time with new plays, or do they have a playbook they can try out on their own?

Back