• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Press Conference

Just be patient. Our cupboard is bare. We have 0 ACC QBs currently on the roster. It'll be year three before things start looking up.

Word. The cupboard is bare on every shelf except LB. We will have 2 lean years to endure before the sunrise is awesome.

Just be patient. Our cupboard is bare. We have 0 ACC QBs currently on the roster. It'll be year three before things start looking up.

I think it is far to early to make that call and we have at least one on the roster.

We have two more true frosh QBs coming in as well.

I may have to pull a Jaybone and take some bets of the negative talk keeps up.

Grobe inherited a 2-9 team that was far worse than this squad. Caldwell's last year was truly one of the worst on record with wins over a terrible Navy team and App I believe. He had CJ Leak transferring and James Macpherson and Anthony Young were unproven. In my opinion that was the biggest deal for the Grobe era, the impressive turnaround. Nobody saw 6-5 and 7-5 coming out of the gate. There is talent on Clawson's squad with similar holes. Calvin Pace was an unknown Junior, Mughelli was unproven, as was Tyson Clabo. They all became stars. In between was very suspect. In the end that turnaround was amazing and key to the Grobe era.

Clawson can maybe get away with the no talent excuse for a year. After that, you have to win. If he is still struggling in year 2 or 3, you wll have problems with recruiting and support. Especially with a new AD, which you have to think will be in the future as Wellman nears 70. Just the way big time college football is. I think everyone is excited about a new era, but I am in the wait and see mode before declaring Clawson a great hire. I remember the Jim Caldwell days and how impressive he was. Penn State pedigree, well spoken, etc. The offseason is easy to win. Hope to see similar success in the Fall. Think Clawson can be really good but with Louisville Clemson and FSU in your own division, it has to be really tough.

Last edited:
You wouldn't be over estimating qb talent again, would you?

I think it is a little early to write off Cameron is all. No one else is capable on the roster though which is why I believe one of the freshman will back him up, but we will see.

Grobe inherited a 2-9 team that was far worse than this squad. Caldwell's last year was truly one of the worst on record with wins over a terrible Navy team and App I believe. He had CJ Leak transferring and James Macpherson and Anthony Young were unproven. In my opinion that was the biggest deal for the Grobe era, the impressive turnaround. Nobody saw 6-5 and 7-5 coming out of the gate. There is talent on Clawson's squad with similar holes. Calvin Pace was an unknown Junior, Mughelli was unproven, as was Tyson Clabo. They all became stars. In between was very suspect. In the end that turnaround was amazing and key to the Grobe era.

Clawson can maybe get away with the no talent excuse for a year. After that, you have to win. If he is still struggling in year 2 or 3, you wll have problems with recruiting and support. Especially with a new AD, which you have to think will be in the future as Wellman nears 70. Just the way big time college football is. I think everyone is excited about a new era, but I am in the wait and see mode before declaring Clawson a great hire. I remember the Jim Caldwell days and how impressive he was. Penn State pedigree, well spoken, etc. The offseason is easy to win. Hope to see similar success in the Fall. Think Clawson can be really good but with Louisville Clemson and FSU in your own division, it has to be really tough.

Caldwell had no success as a HC prior to coming to Wake. Clabo, Pace, and Ovie are probably the best three pro prospects we have ever had on a team together (even if they had underachieved). I'm a Jim Grobe fan, but let's not make an equivalency out of thin air.

james -

I think it is a little early to write off Cameron is all. No one else is capable on the roster though which is why I believe one of the freshman will back him up, but we will see.

I think we've forgotten - I know I have - that Cameron was a top recruit. Compared to Sousa and the 2 frosh pups, you could make a case that Cameron had the best HS profile/list of offers. If he can stay healthy, I think he should be above average.

Again, again, again, it almost totally depends on what the new position coach can do with the OL. Somehow we just have to at least get to being 'average' with these guys.

Oh I definitely expect us to suck for a couple of years, but just watching that press conference, if a guy that can articulate a plan for success the way he has is ultimately not able to succeed at Wake (and I'm talking about winning records and bowl games, not winning the conference), then again I really wonder if anyone can sustain success here.

Clawson already has 9-10 guys he recruited himself. Next season, around 40% of the scholarship players will be his guys. The key to success is players who can contribute early for 3 or 4 years. Good chance they'll mostly be in the top half of the team in their recruiting rankings.

The idea that we're going to be worse for 2-3 years just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
I expect 6 wins, have a good feeling about this dude, plus people will be sleeping on the Deacs as they usually are...

Also, who is gonna be good in the ACC this year outside of F$U?

Ph -

The idea that we're going to be worse for 2-3 years just doesn't make sense.

Tough call....lotsa things have to break right for Clawson to be a legit 7-8 win team in year 2 or 3....so many things could go wrong - grades, knotheads, injuries, transfers....and just plain old bad luck. First, I think he somehow needs to get 5 W's this year. He/we should have enough returning to do that. That should be enough to keep the momentum going in recruiting.

Ph -

Tough call....lotsa things have to break right for Clawson to be a legit 7-8 win team in year 2 or 3....so many things could go wrong - grades, knotheads, injuries, transfers....and just plain old bad luck. First, I think he somehow needs to get 5 W's this year. He/we should have enough returning to do that. That should be enough to keep the momentum going in recruiting.

We had a bad team last year and finished 4-8 with three losses by 3 or less. The idea that we will be as bad or worse than that with a coach we are all optimistic about seems weird.

Last edited:
Unless one of these guys is the 2nd coming of Riley Skinner, I just have a hard time imagining we'll be very good next season with a brand new, inexperienced QB.

We had a bad team last year and finished 4-8 with three losses by 3 or less. The idea that we will be as bad or worse than that with a coach we are all optimistic about seems weird.

Our presumptive starting QB for next year has completed 29% of his passes (7-24) with three interceptions, and the guy who caught 60% of our passes last year before getting hurt graduated. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the pessimism is coming from.

Back