• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach Manning Announces New Basketball Pregame Student Tailgate Area

This is a great way to motivate your most important fanbase. To call this a dorkfest is to demonstrate that you are old and tired, not to mention out of touch.

Great idea. I know there will be some diehards who wont go because they're camping out to be first in the door, but it's a great option for pretty much everyone else.
As a former die hard, the secret is to go in the door hours early to get your seats, then go continue to drink in the Hoops Room. Or do a WFDeacon04 and bring an entire fifth into the game.

This is actually awesome. And for the love, let's hope someone has decided to keep ale away and that ppl can drink without calling so much attention to themselves that enforcement needs to be involved.

What's the age limit to be a student?

Ie. could I get in with a student ID? (A really, really old one?)

Awesome, awesome, but lol at "beverage" singular.

126a5c8b37a33627329ab9396d1eba11.jpg

So it's inevitable that Wake screws this excellent idea up, right?

So it's inevitable that Wake screws this excellent idea up, right?

They're only allowing 20 students in at a time. After the first 20, people in line have to wait for someone to leave.

They're only allowing 20 students in at a time. After the first 20, people in line have to wait for someone to leave.

This isn't real, right?

Generally the Wake student section "dorkiness" is inversely proportional to how good the team is. Students are perceived as passionate when we win and dorks when we lose.
Ph I too was not sure if serious, which speaks volumes about our AD's ability to eff things up.

Generally the Wake student section "dorkiness" is inversely proportional to how good the team is. Students are perceived as passionate when we win and dorks when we lose.

This is spot on. The"Deacon Spirits" were the group before the Screamin Demons started, and were seen as dorky(thanks Bob Staak) when I was there, while Odom came the first year of the Screamin Demons, and they were cool.

it's a joke about the new "bar" behind the scoreboard at Groves

That's what I thought but I couldn't be sure they wouldn't repeat their mistake.

This is spot on. The"Deacon Spirits" were the group before the Screamin Demons started, and were seen as dorky(thanks Bob Staak) when I was there, while Odom came the first year of the Screamin Demons, and they were cool.

this is a case where perception likely fits reality.

There are very few kids who come to Wake that are already die-hard wake fans (I knew less than 10 in my freshman class that grew up as wake fans and that number has probably dropped). For those that come who aren't already die-hard wake fans there are a few main reasons to go to basketball games:

1. They like college basketball (this number is dwindling as we get more kids from places, like the northeast, where pro sports are more prevalent). Which means they are only going if we are good or playing someone good.

2. It's a social event. College kids who aren't dorks like to go to social events where the majority of people are also not dorks. If everyone in group #1 (mostly male) is going to the basketball game it becomes the social event of choice. If not, then it's seen as a "lame" social event and non dorks don't show up.

3. They feel an obligation to support their university's athletic teams no matter what because it's part of the "college experience". This is a pretty dorky view. This view makes a ton of sense when your friends and classmates are the ones out there on the field/court competing. The way modern college athletics functions, even at a school like wake, is an almost total separation between high profile athletes (football, basketball, men's soccer to an extent) an the general student population. Not many people I knew (guys especially) were close enough friends with an athlete to feel an obligation to go to the game.

4. They have nothing else to do. a.k.a. dorks.

College basketball, even for the students, is an entertainment industry not some 1950's exercise in school spirit and shared camaraderie. When it's entertaining more people come. Those that come when it's not entertaining are far more likely to have grown up loving wake forest and/or be dorks. NTTAWWT

YMMV, but I think Wake is pretty unique wrt #3. I had some friends on several varsity teams at Wake. Not like besties or anything, but as good as most friends at wake.

Yeah, as an HES major maybe 15-30% of my classmates every day were varsity athletes. I definitely went to more field hockey and soccer games than I would have otherwise if I hadn't had those classes with them.

Back