• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach Odom would have won today

I'm thinking same thing. From what I remember, Odom was pretty much ran out of town without being fired.

He had four consecutive underperforming seasons and was holding out for a big raise.

He als made statements about how tough it was not to recruit for the "the university of something".

Before his previous extension he was aleegdly talknig with State about coaching there.

He helped himself out the door.

I'm thinking same thing. From what I remember, Odom was pretty much ran out of town without being fired.

This and the fact that you don't leave Wake Forest for flippin' South Carolina. South Carolina is as bad as a coaching job there is. South Carolina hasn't been good since the '70s and their recruiting area is terrible (and you aren't going to convince many highly ranked GA or NC kids to come play in Columbia).

He had four consecutive underperforming seasons and was holding out for a big raise.

He als made statements about how tough it was not to recruit for the "the university of something".

Before his previous extension he was aleegdly talknig with State about coaching there.

I would disagree that he had 4 consecutive under performing seasons. I would agree that his last two years here didn't live up the expectations though. 1998 we were screwed by the committee and Florida State got in over us despite finishing below us in the ACC standings. Factor in what we lost from the year before and Loren Woods turning into a head case. In 1999 if ROK doesn't have one of his worst games in the ACC tournament we probably get in with that win over State. As I said, I will agree with you on 2000 and 2001 seasons though, both underperformed.

He was talking with State? Yeah ok...I call bullshit there.

After Dave left he pointed out the recruiting difficulties at Wake and felt recruiting at USC would be easier. I disagreed with him and I think he would agree that he wasn't as successful as he hoped at USC. Here's the record on what he said while at Wake. He was asked repeatedly by the national media how do you compete recruiting wise with UNC and Duke? He felt you had to go after guys that UNC and Duke over looked and that he often looked overseas to recruit guys to help fill that gaps because if you just went after the big names and they said "No" you were left scrambling. You can argue either way but that's what he said.

The Butler loss stung everyone, myself included and frankly had Wellman given him an extension after that game people would have been outraged. Rather then take the gamble of coaching another year at Wake and risk not having a contract, he went to USC.

For the record, I think it was time for a change and I felt Odom gave us all he had here for 12 seasons. But I disagree when I feel there is such a strong mis-characterization of him like I read at times on message boards.

I have often thought you did not know what you are talking about. Now I know it.

NIT is for teasms of frosh, losers and mid-majors. We're #67 Yippee!!!

Making return visits to the NIT shows you have not led your team to improve.

at this point who wouldn't take multiple trips to the NIT, it would mean we are at least playing competitively.

Back