• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching Search Digest *Welcome Coach Manning!**

I hadn't seen Dayton this year prior to the NCAAT. After reading more about him, watching them in the Dance and looking at pics of his wife, I'm much higher on Miller than I was at 1st. I now have him at the top of tier 2 over White, Manning and Howland in that order. If we don't land Smart, I'd be thrilled with Miller. Wouldn't have said that 2 weeks ago.

As for Shaka, it makes sense that he won't go to Marquette, even though he's from there. While their hoops history at least if not more than matches ours, the Big East is dead. If Wisconsin were open, he might jump at that. But if he's gonna leave VCU, it's going to be for a big boy conference, not a conference that is on par with the A-10.

The ACC is on par with the A-10. Our power teams are all in decline.

the people dishing out the TV money don't seem to agree...

I am not up to speed on Miller, but on the broadcast they said Miller was signed Tuesday to a long term deal with Dayton. How would he ever be able to get out of that a week or two later

All contracts have a buy out.

Hell, Alford extended with New Mexico like a week before becoming the coach at UCLA.

Hey guys, this thread should really only be posted on for bumps or to ask OGB to update something in the first post. If you actually want to discuss coaching candidates there's a thread for that, it's even stickied for you.

And that's basically a warning that any post not meeting those requirements is going to get deleted, so nobody is confused when their posts disappear.

The big news yesterday was Marquette getting shot down, but a couple of minor things overnight below.

I've now heard from three people that VCU has let Shaka know that their bball budget has been extended as far as it can go. They can't offer anymore than what they've committed to him, his staff, and the program that what is already in the works now.

Of course, VCU could have never competed with us on a strictly level playing field, but I think this news spins things slightly.
His talking to us is not a negotiating point to get more money from VCU on that information.

Take that FWIW.

Also, the VCU AD put out another wishy-washy statement, possibly recycle from Sunday, that a bunch of stupid people flipped out over. Smart 'Committed' to VCU.

Shy of an abrupt change of heart and a sudden/uncharacteristic willingness to torch bridges, yes.

Stranger things have happened, so, here's to hoping things get strange (where's DV7 with a sign when you need him?).

There has to be credible info before there's an update, and there hasn't been in the last ~24 hours.

As for Shaka having the weekend to mull the offer, this is the post in question.

From the same guy that told me the offer was at $3 million/year: Wellman gave shaka the offer Wednesday (like we've heard) and gave him the weekend to think it over. Said to expect an announcement or leaks on Monday or late Sunday (only leaks). Announcement shouldn't be later than Tuesday.

Again, can't say how in the know this guy is, but know that he's a big fan that isn't crazy like section 2 or anybody.

Given that YoungBuck says he "ha no clue how reliable this guy is," I do not consider that credible information. Which is not to say that I reject the possibility of that being the case. In fact, I think it more likely than not that the above scenario--save perhaps the amount of the offer--is exactly what's going on. However we have no better than informed (and even that may be a stretch) speculation on that point.

ETA: This was also posted this afternoon, but doesn't really change the calculus, IMO.

Down here at Dirty Myrtle with Donald Ross. FWIW, he has heard that Shaka was offered $3MM/year. Shaka has asked for the weekend to think about it.

Minor updates to the first post, included below for convenience.

Down here at Dirty Myrtle with Donald Ross. FWIW, he has heard that Shaka was offered $3MM/year. Shaka has asked for the weekend to think about it.

From the same guy that told me the offer was at $3 million/year: Wellman gave shaka the offer Wednesday (like we've heard) and gave him the weekend to think it over. Said to expect an announcement or leaks on Monday or late Sunday (only leaks). Announcement shouldn't be later than Tuesday.

Again, can't say how in the know this guy is, but know that he's a big fan that isn't crazy like section 2 or anybody.

Given that YoungBuck says he "ha no clue how reliable this guy is," I do not consider that credible information. Which is not to say that I reject the possibility of that being the case. In fact, I think it more likely than not that the above scenario--save perhaps the amount of the offer--is exactly what's going on. However we have no better than informed (and even that may be a stretch) speculation on that point.

Neither of the above would be worth posting had anything happened yesterday, so take with a spoonful of salt.

This is totally not a #scoop, but I was on campus Thur and Fri for Law Board of Visitors meetings. It's taken me until now to get caught up on this thread from Wed afternoon. Hatch spoke to the LBOV around 11am on Fri (absolutely not idea what he did after that). After he was done he opened up the floor for questions about "anything - the university as a whole, the law school, the basketball coaching search..." Everyone laughed, but one of the LBOV members said, "so, about the coaching search..." Hatch's response was that it was "progressing very well," that it obviously was taking longer and was anticipated to take longer than the Clawson hire - these things normally don't get done in 7 days, and that they were "really aiming high." Nothing new, but since I hadn't read anything on here since We'd early afternoon, the "really aiming high" part got me (and the rest of the LBOV members that care about basketball) pretty excited.

Really doesn't do anything but confirm what we already knew.

Ah, damn. I had second thoughts about posting so I tried to ninja-delete, but you caught me.

Its direct contact but I don't think anybody has heard much since Thursday. As time progresses, I think that's a better and better sign for WF.

I missed the initial post, but VTwhat now waffling on his "dream is dead" post. Again, take that FWIW.

Deleted all of the posts not bumping/supplying information (after my previous announcement). If you want to discuss with RJ his stance on Bzzout then do it over PMs. I'll continue to delete posts in this thread that aren't meeting the requirements set forth.

It's not possible to lock and allow thread starter to make posts/update or I'd just do that. So just stop being #dense and making cleanup necessary.

@HoosiersLive: Hearing Shaka Smart turned down Marquette due to waiting for IU UK or UL jobs, whichever opens up first. #iubb

IU is close to firing Crean who is burning bridges left and right. He is losing a good part of his team this year due to graduation, NBA, and transfers.

Smart would be the fall back option to Brad Stevens though for IU. IU will want Brad Stevens

Back