• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching Search Digest *Welcome Coach Manning!**

I merely point out that you guys think that Wellman, who nearly put a the nail in his own coffin going to the mat for the coach he hired, would actually have a bigger effect on Shaka as compared to Shaka, who is a borderline God VSU, having to wonder if the will suffer the same fate as Bzdick. You and I know that Shaka won't suffer the same fate, because unlike Bzdick he'll get a chance because instead of being one of the worst hires in college sports even from the get-go, Shaka looks like a homerun to everyone including the fans. But, Shaka is got to be considering that and when you juxtapose his current status with the current status of the last coach here, I wouldn't at all be surprised if that's hard to get over.

Seriously, the fact that we even discuss Tim Myles as our next coach makes me throw up in my mouth. The fanbase will rebel and contributions will completely die if the BOT allows Wellman to screw this hire up. Wake is widely regarded as one of the top two positions available and there are a number of good candidates out there, particularly if Wake is willing to pay what we have heard, or even half of that amount.

Maybe the BOT needs to fire Wellman and hire the AD from either Wichita State or VCU to take his place.

Maybe the BOT needs to fire Wellman and hire the AD from either Wichita State or VCU to take his place.

I think they are full on the culture train, and don't want any Gary Clark issues. Even though we all know that's bullshit and not a risk. They are all just stupid old Fucks.

If Virginia Tech ends up with a better hire than Wake Forest, I will puke in my WF hat.

If Virginia Tech ends up with a better hire than Wake Forest, I will puke in my WF hat.

Very likely at this point.

Whatever happened at Mack. I kind of assumed that's as bad as it would get and I'd be excited about having him.

I know I'll get hell for this, but I could get excited about a Manning hire. He was a super college player (national champion) and a good pro too. He could definitely help develop our post players and I think he could be a good recruiter because he would have name recognition with prospects' parents. I'm concerned about him not having a lot of coaching experience, so while he wouldn't be my 1st choice (Shaka), I can see him as a 'Plan B'.

He's a goober, but would be an acceptable hire as far as mid-tier guys go. The guy has won at places not used to winning. There's nothing that really jumps out on his resume, but nothing bad either, and he has a lot of seasons under his belt. Would be a LOWF hire, but I think it would be a safe one. Have no idea how his recruiting skills are, however.

Rate these 4 coaches based on biographical info, winning percentage, postseason appearances, and kenpom progression (including the year before they got there).

Coach A: 47 years old, 2 years mid major HC
.567, 1 CBI, 1NCAA, KP: (93), 178, 72

Coach B: 43 years old, 4 years HC low major
.507, 1 CIT, 1 NIT, KP: (250), 225, 252, 149, 89

Coach C: 47 years old, 7 years HC (high major)
.469, 2 NCAA, KP: (100), 266, 183, 145, 78, 95, (150), 130, 45

Coach D: 57 years old, 7 years HC (various levels)
.514, 1 NIT, 1NCAA, KP*: (49), 47, 28, (210), 121, 179, 88

*KP only available for last two coaching jobs

Last edited:
Rate these 4 coaches based on biographical info, winning percentage, postseason appearances, and kenpom progression (including the year before they got there).

Coach A:
47 years old, 2 years mid major HC
.567, 1 CBI, 1NCAA, KP: (93), 178, 72

Coach B:
43 years old, 4 years HC low major
.507, 1 CIT, 1 NIT, KP: (250), 225, 252, 149, 89

Coach C:
47 years old, 7 years HC (high major)
.469, 2 NCAA, KP: (100), 266, 183, 145, 78, 95, (150), 130, 45

Coach D:
57 years old, 7 years HC (various levels)
.514, 1 NIT, 1NCAA, KP*: (49), 47, 28, (210), 121, 179, 88

*KP only available for last two coaching jobs

D, C, A B

And would you take any of them over these two:

Coach E:
44 years old, 5 years HC mid major
.661, 4 NCAA, KP: (20), 17, 39, 48, 77, 59

Coach F:
37 years old, 7 years high major asst. 3 years mid major HC
.705, 2 NIT, KP: (245), 182, 90, 34

Both of whom should be available for a reasonable price

Coach E is Mack and I think he would be a great hire. 4 NCAA tourneys. Enough said.

Coach E is Mack and I think he would be a great hire. 4 NCAA tourneys. Enough said.

Agreed. I'd give that hire a B. Which is frustrating because there are 7-8 guys who range from plausible to very gettable. Getting a B on this hire shouldn't be that hard.

My worry is that Wellman doesn't realize he is going to have to pay a premium for what has happened over the last 7 years under his watch. I'd rather grossly overpay one of those 7-8 rather than settle for a C-.

Has anyone checked in on dirk?

I've posted on other threads. It's time to appoint Battle as head coach whether he fucking likes it or not. If we hire some of the dumb fucks talked about in the last eight hours I am done with this shit. Danny fucking Manning? Are you kidding me? Battle has forgotten more about coaching than that dipshit will ever know.

I tried Moon... I really tried, but I read this stuff and I'm a little unhinged. Don't get me started on the prospect of Tim Myles...

Or maybe nobody wants to work for petulant fans who cuss his ass out and start websites devoted to his ouster before he's through his second season. Or maybe they don't want either, and the combination of the two is enough to make them decide to stay at some crappy school in Richmond.

Delete.

Also, your facts are wrong.

Back