• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching Search Digest *Welcome Coach Manning!**

I think Mack would be a solid hire.

Solid versus what? Home run? He'd make us respectable again I guess. But is he a poor man's Archie Miller? And where does that ultimately get us. I've wanted Jay Wright from the get go because he has a track record of success and in a big time conference I think he would thrive. The Big East is dying on the vine. If VT can get Buzz Williams and Wellman can't land a Wright or an equivalent he should be fired. It's that simple. He's not selling the program effectively or more importantly he is putting road blocks in front of top line coaches that are turning them away. It's all going to come out and Ronny better be on the right side of things. Four more years of Bz under a different name is the end of the program for over a decade.

He's no Danny Manning, though, amirite?

No I would prefer Mack to Manning. Mack is solid tier B (and much more realistic for Wake than a "tier A" candidate like Buzz Williams who builds his roster with a bunch of jucos).

Solid versus what? Home run? He'd make us respectable again I guess. But is he a poor man's Archie Miller? And where does that ultimately get us. I've wanted Jay Wright from the get go because he has a track record of success and in a big time conference I think he would thrive. The Big East is dying on the vine. If VT can get Buzz Williams and Wellman can't land a Wright or an equivalent he should be fired. It's that simple. He's not selling the program effectively or more importantly he is putting road blocks in front of top line coaches that are turning them away. It's all going to come out and Ronny better be on the right side of things. Four more years of Bz under a different name is the end of the program for over a decade.

Buzz Williams builds his roster with jucos and transfers. No way in hell is Wake going for that.

Why is Mack a "poor man's Archie Miller? Dayton had a nice run with a favorable draw with some struggling high seeds.

Last edited:
And would you take any of them over these two:

Coach E:
44 years old, 5 years HC mid major
.661, 4 NCAA, KP: (20), 17, 39, 48, 77, 59

Coach F:
37 years old, 7 years high major asst. 3 years mid major HC
.705, 2 NIT, KP: (245), 182, 90, 34

Both of whom should be available for a reasonable price

I disagree, but the fact that you could reasonably put D first should automatically eliminate C, A, and B from contention.

The last three are Miles, Manning, and Turner. D's #'s are from 2010.

E and F based on your numbers seem to be better option on the whole over hat you originally listed.

Though I would hope Wake could get a coach better than almost everything you put out there.

I swear Wellman is leaking shit on purpose. Just to get me to post insane rants. Well, I did and I am happy to say it was all in jest. Just do your job Ron. Make the hire. Love and kisses.

E and F based on your numbers seem to be better option on the whole over hat you originally listed.

Though I would hope Wake could get a coach better than almost everything you put out there.

Me too. E (mack) and F (white) should be the absolute floor in this coaching search.

Here's Skip's resume at the time of hire fwiw:

50 years old, 8 years HC (7 mid-major)
.679, 2NIT, 5 NCAA, SR*: (61), 57, 108, 20, 9, 32, 56, 46

Based on his recruiting and performance so far I would say Mack projects to about 90% of that (if he were to coach 2-3 more years at X). If you told me our floor was 90% of what Skip gave us I would take that in a heartbeat.

*Kenpom unavailable so I used Sports-reference rankings.

Last edited:
What about Coach G:

51 years old, 5 years high major asst., 6 years mid-major asst., 4 years mid-major HC, 4 years high major HC
.563 (.652 at his high major job), 1 NIT 3 NCAA, (299), 309, 249, 207, 125, (88), 51, 77, 43, 76.

What about Coach G:

51 years old, 5 years high major asst., 6 years mid-major asst., 4 years mid-major HC, 4 years high major HC
.563 (.652 at his high major job), 1 NIT 3 NCAA, (299), 309, 249, 207, 125, (88), 51, 77, 43, 76.

the internets would break. I'd put him in the initial group with Turner, Manning, and Miles to be honest.

Or maybe nobody wants to work for petulant fans who cuss his ass out and start websites devoted to his ouster before he's through his second season. Or maybe they don't want either, and the combination of the two is enough to make them decide to stay at some crappy school in Richmond.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DuncanDeac again.

Coach E is Mack and I think he would be a great hire. 4 NCAA tourneys. Enough said.

While I understand after not having been to the tourney in a while, it's easy to want that pretty bad...

But making NCAA tourneys wasn't good enough when Dino was here, so why should it be good enough now?

Or maybe nobody wants to work for petulant fans who cuss his ass out and start websites devoted to his ouster before he's through his second season. Or maybe they don't want either, and the combination of the two is enough to make them decide to stay at some crappy school in Richmond.

Anybody who thinks like this is chicken shit, and who would want chicken shit as a head coach for anything, much less ACC basketball?

Back