• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching Search Digest *Welcome Coach Manning!**

The players and AAU coaches hated him at UCLA. He is a pain in the arse to deal with and that quality only gets amplified with age. Realize I am in the minority, but I am fine with any of the rumored candidates (Manning, Miller, White) other than Howland. I see a Howland hire ending very badly.

Agree with this. I've said all along that I would be surprised if Wellman was interested in him.

Don't ignore the link that Dan shares from the Tulsa writer at the bottom of his article http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_b39ca8bb-d426-5553-8e8c-dbe7606c84fc.html

Manning's open remark that "Wake Forest has shown a great deal of interest," really rubs me the wrong way. It's an obvious ploy to get leverage for renegotiating his contract. It's unbecoming.

Apart from Manning just not being the right guy for the job, in the event that he actually does pan out, he will obviously move on elsewhere if he has any success at Wake. His "ties to NC" are a bit dubious at this point. His dad played for a few years in the ABA in NC. So what? He ended up in Lawrence to finish out his HS career, and then for the next four years, and then he returned there after the NBA. So he has been in Lawrence for most of his formative years (16, by my count), and spent some years of his youth in NC. His ties to Lawrence are stronger than anywhere else. It just seems so fucking typical that a bunch of heavy-hitter, sweater-wearing, WFU money men would remember seeing Danny Manning play at Page and conclude that he's some "Carolina boy with Carolina ties."

We're so fucked. Thanks petulant d-bag fans.

4bc042e86708067271aa865c11830265.jpg

ELC,

Good points, but unless WF hires Russell Turner, Rusty or Childress (no, no and no), every candidate is going to have the potential to move back home or to a more high profile job at some point. If Manning does well enough to leave WF to take the KS job, that would mean Manning did very well at WF to get a top 5 job, which is a good thing. Also, I don't see Bill Self leaving KS any time soon.

Would agree that Manning making a public statement about WF's interest, probably did not help his chances with WF as the ability to keep communications confidential is a priority.

ELC,

Good points, but unless WF hires Russell Turner, Rusty or Childress (no, no and no), every candidate is going to have the potential to move back home or to a more high profile job at some point. If Manning does well enough to leave WF to take the KS job, that would mean Manning did very well at WF to get a top 5 job, which is a good thing. Also, I don't see Bill Self leaving KS any time soon.

Would agree that Manning making a public statement about WF's interest, probably did not help his chances with WF as the ability to keep communications confidential is a priority.

The potential, yes. But we can hire somebody where that potential is significantly lessened. (note: I didn't realize Self was still relatively young)

ah, here it comes. The blame-the-fans-and-not-the-asshat-that-fucked-Wake-Forest-hoops-for-four-years crowd.

Oh I blame him plenty. But you morons think are delusional enough to think you're the saving grace of WF university, when in reality your compounding the problem.

Plus, you're more fun to troll.

We're so fucked. Thanks petulant d-bag fans.

I wonder if a prospective coach would be more worried about what a career loser like Bz has to say about disgruntled fans, or what a 61-31 coach has to say about the asshat Athletic Director and his misguided culture/whisper campaign.

Dan's article is brutal. He knows Manning is a junk candidate and way below even an average hire for Wake. He is trying to prevent the hire with the power of ink barrels and the internet. Go Dan. Go!

Dan's article is brutal. He knows Manning is a junk candidate and way below even an average hire for Wake. He is trying to prevent the hire with the power of ink barrels and the internet. Go Dan. Go!

Way below average hire for Wake? Our last five head coaches that we've hired:

Jeff [name redacted] - 7 college HC seasons, 111-105 college record (51%), 0-1 NCAAT record
Dino Gaudio - 0 college HC seasons
Skip Prosser - 8 college HC seasons, 165-78 college record (68%), 1-4 NCAAT record
Dave Odom - 3 college HC seasons, 37-43 college record (46%)
Bob Staak - 6 college HC seasons, 88-86 college record (51%), 0-1 NCAAT record

Danny Manning - 2 college HC seasons, 38-29 college record (57%), 0-1 NCAAT record

Outside of Skip, Manning arguably has the best resume than any other candidate we've hired in the last 30 years.

eta, this doesn't include anything beyond college HC experience. Manning also has better college assistant coach experience than any coach we've had

Jeff [name redacted] - 7 college HC seasons, 111-105 college record (51%), 0-1 NCAAT record
Skip Prosser - 8 college HC seasons, 165-78 college record (68%), 1-4 NCAAT record

Danny Manning - 2 college HC seasons, 38-29 college record (57%), 0-1 NCAAT record

Outside of Skip, Manning arguably has the best resume than any other candidate we've hired in the last 30 years.

eta, this doesn't include anything beyond college HC experience. Manning also has better college assistant coach experience than any coach we've had

Dino coached at Army and Loyola

It's hard to compare to recent Wake hires though.

First of all he who shall not be named was just terrible and I don't think anybody is using that as a barometer for a good or bad hire.

Second, we had Dino because our coach died

Skip was a good hire

The other two hires were 25+ years ago and the climate is considerably different now than it was then.

Dino Gaudio - 7 college HC seasons, 68-124 college record (35%)

FIFY

This post is the definition of LOWF.

We are a much larger profile school than we were then. Wake was a regional southern university when most of the hires you reference were made. Wake didn't really catch a national stride until the 2000s (and I'm a 90's grad). Irrelevant to 2014 WFU.

It's hard to compare to recent Wake hires though.

First of all he who shall not be named was just terrible and I don't think anybody is using that as a barometer for a good or bad hire.

Second, we had Dino because our coach died

Skip was a good hire

The other two hires were 25+ years ago and the climate is considerably different now than it was then.

Brangus said that Manning would be a below-average hire for Wake BB. Looking at history, that is a completely inaccurate statement.

This post is the definition of LOWF.

We are a much larger profile school than we were then. Wake was a regional southern university when most of the hires you reference were made. Irrelevant to 2014 WFU.

Call me LOWF, but do you really blame Shaka or the high-profile coaches for turning down Wake? They've had more success in the past two or three seasons than Wake has had in the past 10 years.

Coaches like Shaka are going to wait until one of the top 5 positions comes up. There is absolutely no reward for taking a high-risk Wake job.

Back