• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coaching Search Digest *Welcome Coach Manning!**

Call me LOWF, but do you really blame Shaka or the high-profile coaches for turning down Wake? They've had more success in the past two or three seasons than Wake has had in the past 10 years.

Coaches like Shaka are going to wait until one of the top 5 positions comes up. There is absolutely no reward for taking a high-risk Wake job.

LOWF

Nobody knows if anyone has turned down Wake yet. It's still nothing, but rampant speculation. For all we know, Shaka is negotiating with Wellman, and Danny Manning is just angling for more $$$ out of Tulsa.

Nobody knows if anyone has turned down Wake yet. It's still nothing, but rampant speculation. For all we know, Shaka is negotiating with Wellman, and Danny Manning is just angling for more $$$ out of Tulsa.

I like this. See? This is "not LOWF." See the difference folks?

Well, it's clear that at least some of the great "basketball minds" bought Wellman's spin that Buzz was a good coach and had a raw deal (like Bilas). If that's the case, it's no surprise we've been turned away by so many prospective hires.

Call me LOWF, but do you really blame Shaka or the high-profile coaches for turning down Wake? They've had more success in the past two or three seasons than Wake has had in the past 10 years.

Coaches like Shaka are going to wait until one of the top 5 positions comes up. There is absolutely no reward for taking a high-risk Wake job.

Then he's not leaving for at least a decade or two.

K will be replaced by Wojo.

Bill Self will be at KU for ten more years at least.

The last time UNC signed a non-UNC was Frank McGuire. That's over 50 years ago.

Calipari isn't going to the NBA. He absolutely SUCKED in the NBA. Only a moronic owner would hire him. Also remind again the last time a long time college coach did well in the NBA.

He didn't like UCLA. Sean Miller will be at AZ for decades. I'd be stunned if Izzo ever leaves Michigan State. Matta is set at Ohio State.

The only Top 10 job that may be open in the next decade is Indiana.

Wake's the best job that will be open in the next 5+ years.

Well unless you are LOWF through and through.

God, some your people genuinely concern me.

Agree with Waldo. All fans inflate their view of their program, but there is no historical evidence of WF hiring coaches with a resume better than Manning. BTW, when WF hired Skip (who had by far the best resume of any coach WF has ever hired), Xavier had transitioned from the low-major "Midwestern Collegiate Conference" to the Atlantic 10, which time was a mid-major conference. BTW, Skip also had 1-4 record in the NCAAs when he got the WF offer. Interesting that many here now think that a coach that just led his team to the C-USA championship is beneath the WF job.

FWIW, the reason why WF did well under Skip was not his coaching ability, but his recruiting ability. He recruited Jeff Teague and James Johnson as fall-backs when WF just missed on Oden and Conley. Unless Wellman can find the next Bo Ryan, for the next coach to be successful, he has to be able to recruit on the same level that Skip did. So, whether the next coach is Mack or Miller or Manning or White or even Russell Turner, WF will only be successful if it can recruit on a high level. I don't see Ben Howland doing that at WF, and I hope that vetting process will be focused on what coach can bring the best talent to WF, regardless if the hire is a "splash" or not.

Last edited:
Well, it's clear that at least some of the great "basketball minds" bought Wellman's spin that Buzz was a good coach and had a raw deal (like Bilas). If that's the case, it's no surprise we've been turned away by so many prospective hires.

What did Bilas say about that? I missed it.

I actually give rjkarl some credit for the fact Shaka DID in fact strongly consider our offer. A month ago, I thought it was an automatic no. I don't understand why rj is salty about it.

His ties to NC ARE a LOT dubious, imo.

Don't ignore the link that Dan shares from the Tulsa writer at the bottom of his article http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_b39ca8bb-d426-5553-8e8c-dbe7606c84fc.html

Manning's open remark that "Wake Forest has shown a great deal of interest," really rubs me the wrong way. It's an obvious ploy to get leverage for renegotiating his contract. It's unbecoming.

Apart from Manning just not being the right guy for the job, in the event that he actually does pan out, he will obviously move on elsewhere if he has any success at Wake. His "ties to NC" are a bit dubious at this point. His dad played for a few years in the ABA in NC. So what? He ended up in Lawrence to finish out his HS career, and then for the next four years, and then he returned there after the NBA. So he has been in Lawrence for most of his formative years (16, by my count), and spent some years of his youth in NC. His ties to Lawrence are stronger than anywhere else. It just seems so fucking typical that a bunch of heavy-hitter, sweater-wearing, WFU money men would remember seeing Danny Manning play at Page and conclude that he's some "Carolina boy with Carolina ties."

Agree with Waldo. All fans inflate their view of their program, but there is no historical evidence of WF hiring coaches with a resume better than Manning. BTW, when WF hired Skip (who had by far the best resume of any coach WF has ever hired), Xavier had transitioned from the low-major "Midwestern Collegiate Conference" to the Atlantic 10, which time was a mid-major conference. BTW, Skip also had 1-4 record in the NCAAs when he got the WF offer. Interesting that many here now think that a coach that just led his team to the C-USA championship is beneath the WF job.

FWIW, the reason why WF did well under Skip was not his coaching ability, but his recruiting ability. He recruited Jeff Teague and James Johnson as fall-backs when WF just missed on Oden and Conley. Unless Wellman can find the next Bo Ryan, for the next coach to be successful, he has to be able to recruit on the same level that Skip did. So, whether the next coach is Mack or Miller or Manning or White or even Russell Turner, WF will only be successful if it can recruit on a high level. I don't see Ben Howland doing that at WF, and I hope that vetting process will be focused on what coach can bring the best talent to WF, regardless if the hire is a "splash" or not.

How is that true? He recruited at a high level at UCLA. Also to say that he burned his ridges with AAU and high school coaches isn't valid. That's the west coast. I don't remember us recruiting many kids from California.

The only Top 10 job that may be open in the next decade is Indiana.

Wake's the best job that will be open in the next 5+ years.

Well unless you are LOWF through and through.

Syracuse though they might have next coach lined up

Texas Barnes retiring soon?

Maryland if Turgeon continues to struggle

Illinois?

How much longer will Pitino coach?

Are you really comparing Skip to Danny freaking Manning? I know many weren't happy with the Skip hire (but he won most of them over with his press conference), but the two resumes aren't remotely comparable. Yeah, Skip was 1-4 in the NCAAs. One of those losses was with Loyola, and 3 with Xavier. That's what usually happens with mid-major teams in the NCAAs until recently-- they usually lose. That's what Manning's team did too. Once. And the quality of the CUSA this year was nowhere near the quality of the A-10 during Skips years there, nor was it even the quality of what is now the Horizon League, which is where Xavier was prior to the A-10 (it was called something different then... MWC or something like that).

That should also be considered by those touting Mike White, who I think would be a better hire than Manning. The CUSA lost what would have been its top teams to the AAC this year.

Syracuse though they might have next coach lined up

Texas Barnes retiring soon?

Maryland if Turgeon continues to struggle

Illinois?

How much longer will Pitino coach?

Syracuse named their Coach in Waiting several years ago. I actually broke it on the Old Board about 7-10 days before it went public.

Texas is OK, but before Barnes got there is floundering. We're on par with them in basketball.

Our job is better than MD in the Big 10.

Our job is better than IL.

Pitino will likely be there 5 years or more. If Massiello gets his degree he's a likely successor. Pitino's son will be seriously considered.

Actually, he has a FF on his resume, which is more success than Wake has had in 50+ years.

I don't think anybody would blame Shaka for turning us down, but we absolutely would blame Wellman for helping that happen and if he settled for Manning after it leaked that he was "swinging for the fences." It's like he swung for the fences and hit a squibber off his toe. Dan was being generous in his inside-the-park HR analogy.

Back