• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Coaching" vs. "Talent"

I mean pretty irresponsible of Manning to not have a replacement ready for a guy who everyone knew would be gone after two years from his first game on campus. I mean if Manning has played him 30 mpg he would have been gone after 1 year.

Brey also had a starting guard and a key bench weapon get hurt? How awful for him!

(Just watch, we'll get Notre Dame in the first ACC tourney game with Bonzi back at full strength needing to win the ACC Tourney to make the NCAA's)...

I mean pretty irresponsible of Manning to not have a replacement ready for a guy who everyone knew would be gone after two years from his first game on campus. I mean if Manning has played him 30 mpg he would have been gone after 1 year.

yeah everyone here is saying that

Pretty much. People are claiming that JC didn’t actually make a huge jump between his freshman and sophomore years but instead that it was evident early in that if he was given 30 mpg his numbers would have been similar to his sophomore year.

Link?

Well first, it was a joke. Cause people say “say it ain’t so” when they’re serious a lot. Obviously it’s incredibly difficult in both situations.
Losing Dinos at the time we did may as well be the same since we had no time to replace him (with anything better than a non-starter on Marshall). Losing Collins, while rebuilding, is just as big if not bigger than any of those losses.

you and DC were obviously joking and obviously comparing Brey's situation to Manning's

which is funny, but not in the same way you two think it is

Not going to pull all the quotes from the JC thread but the general argument was that JC was obviously underrated coming out of high school, that his per 40 minute numbers were representative of what he would do with more minutes, and that he would have gotten where he did with or without Manning.

His per 40 minute numbers were 20/11/2 on 55% shooting. He was putting up those numbers early his freshman year. So apparently it was obvious to everyone in November 2015 that JC was already a 15 and 8 guy with a ton of upside. 15 and 8 freshman with a ton of upside don’t stick around more than two years.

That’s not the same as saying he didn’t make a leap.

You can pontificate all your want but we are heading towards the end of season 4 and Manning has 18 ACC wins. More wins.......less excuses.

I think we've found the perfect balance of poor coaching and mediocre talent.

you and DC were obviously joking and obviously comparing Brey's situation to Manning's

which is funny, but not in the same way you two think it is

I mean it’s not exactly the same but is comparable. We lost Collins and Dinos with no time find a suitable replacement (Sarr was a good late get). We also lost our leading scorer during the season in Keyshawn. It seems pretty comparable.

You’re right. My original point (that people are acting like it was obvious Collins was a 2 and done from early on his freshman year) still stands.

I haven’t seen anybody say that. It was obvious he was good and deserved to play more minutes though.

You can pontificate all your want but we are heading towards the end of season 4 and Manning has 18 ACC wins. More wins.......less excuses.

9 of which came last year, in where Helen Keller could have won with JC playing like he did. 2 in his first, 5 in his second and 2 so far this year. Buzz your girlfriend, woof...

Bottom line - this team sucks, Hoard better be a stud otherwise another year lost next year. (And the fact they want to use him at the 4 seems like a waste already. He reminds me more of Andrew Wiggins than John Collins or Devin Thomas)

Guys, quite frankly Clemson is just way more talented than us and we gave yeoman effort today just to stay in this game in my opinion! We only had 8 turnovers, shot great from the FT line. Clemson's defense is probably the best we have faced all year and we got a surprise effort from Mitchell who went 3-3 from the three point range in the 2nd half. We just couldn't get open and I am sure he didn't figure in their scouting report so they slacked off him from deep and he made them pay. We could not get the ball inside very easily to Doral, who had to actually shoot tough shots, and struggled for him shooting 4-9. Chalk this one up to a good effort but the better team, in 2nd place in the ACC, winning on the road.

Virginia plays better defense than Clemson.

We had many open looks to win the game, and we clanked them. End of story.

We were 13-17 from the FT line. That's maybe 1 point better than our average.

Not going to pull all the quotes from the JC thread but the general argument was that JC was obviously underrated coming out of high school, that his per 40 minute numbers were representative of what he would do with more minutes, and that he would have gotten where he did with or without Manning.

His per 40 minute numbers were 20/11/2 on 55% shooting. He was putting up those numbers early his freshman year. So apparently it was obvious to everyone in November 2015 that JC was already a 15 and 8 guy with a ton of upside. 15 and 8 freshman with a ton of upside don’t stick around more than two years.

Were those 40 minute numbers with 6, 7 or 8 fouls?

Even last year there were games were JC got his 3rd foul and the lane became wide open, since he wasn't going to challenge anyone.

Guys, quite frankly Clemson is just way more talented than us and we gave yeoman effort today just to stay in this game in my opinion! We only had 8 turnovers, shot great from the FT line. Clemson's defense is probably the best we have faced all year and we got a surprise effort from Mitchell who went 3-3 from the three point range in the 2nd half. We just couldn't get open and I am sure he didn't figure in their scouting report so they slacked off him from deep and he made them pay. We could not get the ball inside very easily to Doral, who had to actually shoot tough shots, and struggled for him shooting 4-9. Chalk this one up to a good effort but the better team, in 2nd place in the ACC, winning on the road.

Way more talented as in we let 2* guard recruits DeVoe and Reed combine for 46 points and 12 rebounds?

Back