• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

When will being a clean program payoff? If Wake Forest never benefits from the downfall of dirty programs it competes with in basketball, then Wake should recognize the only way to win is to cheat like all the winning schools have been. That being said, I still hope that this will somehow lead to the downfall of these major programs and that Wake Forest will be able to capitalize and rise up.

At this point, and based on the way the NCAA sat on it's hands with UNC, I'd trade that for the last 8.5 years in a heartbeat.

Same.

When will being a clean program payoff? If Wake Forest never benefits from the downfall of dirty programs it competes with in basketball, then Wake should recognize the only way to win is to cheat like all the winning schools have been. That being said, I still hope that this will somehow lead to the downfall of these major programs and that Wake Forest will be able to capitalize and rise up.

That's cute.

After the UNC fiasco and the subsequent reaction of the NCAA and Accreditation organization, I think Wake should create its on 'Swahili' department with no classes and one paper (assisted / written by a tutor). You could be up front with the kids and parents about the major and it could be any field of study, as long as it creates a place for kids to easily stay eligible while chasing the nba or nfl dreams. It would need to be open to all students (but surely no one would pay 60k/yr to get a wake degree from a worthless program).

UNC created the model and I am sure many other P5 schools saw UNC got away with it and created their own Swahili majors. Add that to the shoe companies paying players' families and there is no wonder we can;t keep up.

ACC Schools with players or coaches named:

NC State - First they pay for Dennis Smith Jr., has anyone checked Lecque's family's bank accounts this week?
UNC - Nas Little and father Harold named but it was allegedly to get paid to go to Arizona, I'm sure he will still be eligible to play against us this year.
Louisville - Seemingly punished already after being stripped of title and firing Pitino, but Mack already has them back on track.
Miami - Larranaga should be canned if Pitino was, multiple players and coaches named.
Florida State - Malik Beasley? He was ok I guess, not worth the investment.

Because they don't pull big-time recruits. If they are throwing around that kind of money, you would think they would land a top-75 recruit every once and a while. Since Greg McDermott became head coach in 2010, they haven't had any top-75 recruits and only have had six top-100 recruits.

2019 - Shereef Mitchell (#188)
2018 - Marcus Zegarowski (#110), Sam Froling (#143), Christian Bishop (#163)
2017 - Jacob Epperson (#77), Mitchell Ballock (#94), Tyson Alexander (#113)
2016 - Kobe Paras (#137), Davion Mintz (#401)
2015 - Justin Patton (#85), Marlon Stewart (#292), Khyri Thomas (#326)
2014 - Ronnie Harrell (#84), Leon Gilmore (#136)
2013 - James Miliken (#93), Devin Brooks (#94), Toby Hegner (#385), Zach Hanson (#524), Darian Harris (#580)
2012 - Isaiah Zierden (#269), Andre Yates (#294)
2011 - Avery Dignman (#170)
2010 - Doug McDermott (#155)

ACC Schools with players or coaches named:

NC State - First they pay for Dennis Smith Jr., has anyone checked Lecque's family's bank accounts this week?
UNC - Nas Little and father Harold named but it was allegedly to get paid to go to Arizona, I'm sure he will still be eligible to play against us this year.
Louisville - Seemingly punished already after being stripped of title and firing Pitino, but Mack already has them back on track.
Miami - Larranaga should be canned if Pitino was, multiple players and coaches named.
Florida State - Malik Beasley? He was ok I guess, not worth the investment.
Louisville was punished for providing prostitutes and stripper parties for recruiting parties at their basketball dorm. The Brian Bowen payment allegations are a seperate investigation.

I see that Brian Bowen Jr's dad (Brian Bowen Sr) testified that Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma State, and Creighton all offered the family money for his son's services. Also said that Adidas paid them 100K for Louisville because that's what they paid that for Billy Preston to go to Kansas.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24895503/brian-bowen-sr-accuses-colleges-offering-cash-improper-benefits-son-attend

Billy Preston?

https://vimeo.com/178611166

Bill Self at Kansas implicated as having knowledge of payments per testimony from yesterday. HC now implicated for knowing what was happening. Not good for government theory of "defrauded universities" but could have NCAA issues for coaches.

What years? Potentially casts a slight shadow over Danny Manning.

As all of the big programs fall to scandal around us, and we have a slightest of hopes of getting back to being a contender in college basketball, it would only be fitting that we go down with them as a reward for the last 8+ years of self-induced penalties. Manning was probably Self's bag man.

What are the chances that so many big name schools will be implicated that they decide to allow the player's to be paid?

I'd be shocked if anything happens from this.

Well, Louisville already fired Pitino because of this scandal. So, guess that you are already shocked.

Anything at the NCAA level. Major sanctions or rule changes. Louisville probably would regret acting so soon if they didn't get a top coach out of it and they got a top coach because Mack probably didn't believe anything would happen from this.

Back