• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

College basketball bribery scandal

I think there's a decent chance that the revelations from the trial could contribute to the downfall of "one and done." I would love to see "one and done" replaced with a rule similar to the draft rule in college baseball, i.e. you can go pro right away after high school but if you go to college then you have to wait 3 years to be drafted again.

To those who would object that this would "ruin" college basketball, I would reply that the change would make it much better. Furthermore, it would help the Wake Forest program, because it never gets one and done players (the roster might have one this year-we'll see about that). Though the problems of the Wake program go much deeper than the presence or non-presence of one and done players.

Well said, I agree 100% and hope what you said happens.

I think there's a decent chance that the revelations from the trial could contribute to the downfall of "one and done." I would love to see "one and done" replaced with a rule similar to the draft rule in college baseball, i.e. you can go pro right away after high school but if you go to college then you have to wait 3 years to be drafted again.

To those who would object that this would "ruin" college basketball, I would reply that the change would make it much better. Furthermore, it would help the Wake Forest program, because it never gets one and done players (the roster might have one this year-we'll see about that). Though the problems of the Wake program go much deeper than the presence or non-presence of one and done players.

There is zero chance the players union would ever sign off on this.

Harry Giles was bought and paid for by the shoe companies. You couldn't spend 5 minutes around his dad, without him saying as much.

Big-time college bball is corrupt to it's very core and the Evil one (K) and deputy dog Roy are right in the middle of it.

There is a call for the NCAA to review the Zion Williamson recruitment based on text messages released from KU's assistant coach that indicated that Williamson's Dad was looking to get paid 6 figures + an apt/house in exchange for his commitment.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-even-dare-investigate-zion-williamson-now-hes-duke-043518120.html

Duke literally swooped in at the last minute and signed Williamson - I'm sure it was just good old fashioned relationship-building, though.

There is a call for the NCAA to review the Zion Williamson recruitment based on text messages released from KU's assistant coach that indicated that Williamson's Dad was looking to get paid 6 figures + an apt/house in exchange for his commitment.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-even-dare-investigate-zion-williamson-now-hes-duke-043518120.html

Dad was looking to get paid, and the long-time assistant at Kansas said:

I’ve got to just try to work and figure out a way because if that’s what it takes to get him here for 10 months, we’re going to have to do it some way

which a reasonable person would interpret as, "we've paid Dads before"; and so it will be fun to watch Kansas and Duke play in the NCAA tournament under their Hall of Fame coaches who always do things The Right Way

Nothing is gonna happen or change guys.

Harry Giles was bought and paid for by the shoe companies. You couldn't spend 5 minutes around his dad, without him saying as much.

Big-time college bball is corrupt to it's very core and the Evil one (K) and deputy dog Roy are right in the middle of it.

burn it down

All of this. To clean up the NCAA, particularly in basketball, would mean to investigate and sanction/fire every single meaningful men's college and assistant coach, AAU coaches, agents, AD's and anyone else involved in the recruiting process.

It is beyond repair. So you either maintain the corrupt status quo, or you destroy the entire the thing. There is nobody who is clean and successful.

Last edited:
So you would say there are no virgins in college basketball?

Does this put any perspective on WF recruiting?

Naturally, sucking for 9 seasons has damaged WF recruiting profile, but it appears that if you don't offer cash (or have shoe companies offering cash on your behalf, and Nike has no interest in funneling talent to Winston), your school doesn't even exist for a large percentage of the top 25 talent (maybe even top 50). So, is WF one of literally 100+ schools going after recruits ranked 51 and above? In the alternative, if everyone is cheating, are we just worse at that than everyone else?

The NCAA will be so mad at Duke that Clemson (Merl Code's alma mater) will be put on probation. Being a Brownell fan, I hope Williamson's interest in CU was just a home state thing.

Back