• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Collins: Deacons returning to option

DinDC

Reaction score
“I remember we got [Tanner] knocked out at Florida State, so that got us nervous,” Grobe said. “So we said ‘Let’s quit running him,’ and we got more back to throwing the football. Then the past couple of years we’ve just been too cautious."

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/football/article_85b22ecc-9cb0-11e2-80c2-001a4bcf6878.html

Grobe and Lobo are always a day late and a dollar short. They never realize they have a problem that needs to be fixed until it's too late, and even then so many things just make them turn into pussies. Everything is in hindsight. It would be nice if they could discover a little foresight and some gumption.

spaghetti_on_the_wall.jpg

Also this line was very encouraging: “It’s the same stuff we were doing with Cory Randolph and Ben Mauk,” Grobe said.

Finally! That offense takes pressure of our defense as well by staying on the field. Despite what he said about 2011, we should have run a lot more option then as well IMO.

Dan is really writing around the fact that our offense has been poor for Lobo's entire time at Wake. I'm no Kent, so bare with me.

The clearest explanation for what happened to Wake Forest’s football team in 2012 can be found in the ACC statistics for scoring offense.

Right down at the bottom were the Deacons, with a paltry 18.5 points game. No other ACC team averaged fewer than 19.8 and three — Clemson, North Carolina and Florida State — averaged more than twice as many.

“Our offensive production was terrible last year and something had to change, and change drastically,’’ offensive coordinator Steed Lobotzke said Tuesday. “So that’s what we’re doing.’’

[OK, so 18.5 ppg, last in the ACC, and #114 in the nation is the breaking point.]

The proposed solution is to return to the run-oriented, option offense the Deacons used before Riley Skinner showed up as an 11th-hour recruit and ended up rewriting the Wake Forest record book for pretty much every passing category. Coach Jim Grobe said that Deacons fans won’t see anything this season they haven’t seen before.

“It’s the same stuff we were doing with Cory Randolph and Ben Mauk,” Grobe said.

[So the 2005 season is the standard for Wake Forest offense. We averaged 24.5 ppg, 8th in the conference, #71 in the nation. Interesting note: 3 teams scored 18.5 or below in 2005.]

Lobotzke acknowledges the Deacons made the mistake of expecting the same kind of results in 2012 that were enjoyed in 2011. The problem was that other than quarterback Tanner Price and wide receiver Michael Campanaro, the personnel of the 2012 offense bore little resemblance to that of the season before.

“We had a high talent level in our (offensive) line and wide-receiver position in ’11, so we scored a lot of points,” Lobotzke said. “We scored the third-most points (338) in school history.

[Oh so 2011 was a banner year for the offense? 26 ppg, 8th in the ACC, #68 in the nation.]

“And it was all just very conventional — turn around and hand the ball off and drop-back pass. We had good offensive linemen — real old, four seniors and a junior — (plus) Chris Givens on one side, (Michael) Campanaro on the other. So we had a lot of success.

“We tried to do in ’12 with all those linemen gone and Givens gone, and just realized we don’t have the bullets in our gun to be so conventional like that.”

[So the best we can expect under Lobo is 8th in a 12 team conference with an NFL WR and an experienced OL. That's the best we can do?]

The goal is to get more production from fewer passes than in 2011, when the Deacons averaged only 5.6 yards per pass attempt and finished last in the ACC with a pass-efficiency rating of 110.1. Price’s hope is that he’ll do more running for yards and less running for his life.

[Dan with the backdoor stat to put the hype in context. Nice work. We had to chuck the ball a lot to move the ball relatively little in 2011.]

“I like it a lot,’’ Price said. “I think it will be really tough for defenses to stop and I think it will be good for our passing game. I think it will open some things up. I’m excited about what we’re doing.

“I’m on board with whatever the coaches want.’’

-----------------------
What's interesting about last year's 18.5 is that our offensive scoring from 2006-08 wasn't that much better. The official stats in those years were 21.6, 27.9, and 21.0 a game. Of course, the 27.9 included almost a TD per game from defense/special teams.

I'm glad Ph reads Dan's articles the same way I do. Incidently, I'm glad we are going back to the misdirection. Our online is slow but short, so we've got to gimmick IMO.

As if our offense was that fantastic when Randolph and Mauk played

We could run the ball. We are more talented on defense than any of those teams were, too. So giving the defense a little more of a breather is going to be critical. I think going back "home" to this offense is absolutely the right thing to do.

Can we not make adjustments in season. We need to look at it after the season to determine that what we are trying to do isn't working and we need to change gears?

Maybe Grobe can start cut blocking again too? Remember when teams hated to play the Deacons and were whining an entire week before the game?

Maybe Grobe can start cut blocking again too? Remember when teams hated to play the Deacons and were whining an entire week before the game?
It was the first sign of things to come... #culturechange #tinfoilhat #WellmanOUT

We will I think. We do some as is, but I expect more. Nothing wrong with cut blocking IMO.

Can we not make adjustments in season. We need to look at it after the season to determine that what we are trying to do isn't working and we need to change gears?

Not sure if serious.

Lobo changes offense more than [Redacted] looses road games.

Tanner putting the happy face on. Good attitude. Hope he doesn't get killed.

We could run the ball. We are more talented on defense than any of those teams were, too. So giving the defense a little more of a breather is going to be critical. I think going back "home" to this offense is absolutely the right thing to do.

More talented on defense than in 2004 and 2005? The 2005 defense was basically the same players as the 2006 defense. 2004 was them minus the Fresh Deacs with Gattis, Ghee, Patterson, and Swanson in the secondary and a young Abbate among others.

I've never seen Lobo's option offense being anything other than a disaster. I seem to recall that Mauk was destroyed trying to recover a [typically] bad option pitch. Problem is, an effective option offense isn't a sometimes kind of thing. You basically have to run it exclusively to get the timing to an intuitive level, and we just don't do that.

And @PhDeac, those stats on Wake's offense just show the tragedy of Wellman's AD, where we don't aspire to a top 20 or a top 10 offense, but "hopefully" a top 68 offense. LOWF. I'm sure it's not only Wellman who's responsible though, and if something doesn't change at the top then we'll just see the same kind of mentality from Wellman's eventual replacement who is hired by the people who endorse Wellman.

we had Barclay back then, and he ran, and ran and ran some more. poor kid was so beat up after the games.

Back