• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Collins to test NBA, update: he has signed an agent, per Jeff Goodman

Probably the best indicator of whether he has any intentions of staying or not

Yes, if he is not going to class the rest of this spring, he will not be playing basketball for Wake in the fall. Although I would be surprised if he wasn't going to class. I hope that would greatly disappoint the BB staff, as it would set a bad precedent. If he wants to go to the NBA, that is fine, but while at Wake he should be a Wake student.

At least under that scenario the staff would know he's gone and could use his open scholarship.

The waiting on a decision is what sucks.

Saw a mock draft this morning from NESN that has Collins going 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think a student would have posted here if JC wasn't attending classes anymore as that would be an obvious signal he is gone. Haven't seen anything like that posted, unless I've missed it.

Do any of his fellow students know if Collins is still in school and attending class? I heard from a fairly reliable source that he is not.

If true, he's definitely not coming back

Saw a mock draft this morning from NESN that has Collins going 9

So we have seen recent projections as high as #9 and as low as #29?? I don't think I remember a player with projections varying as widely? I am sure he is getting, or will get, more definite and reliable info directly from the teams but such variability indicates to me that there is risk associated with him coming out.

So we have seen recent projections as high as #9 and as low as #29?? I don't think I remember a player with projections varying as widely? I am sure he is getting, or will get, more definite and reliable info directly from the teams but such variability indicates to me that there is risk associated with him coming out.

Now that the college season is over, NBA and NCAA writers both will focus a lot more attention on the draft, and you'll start to see some more consensus on player evals than you have now. Personally I think 9 is kinda absurd for a player so defensively lacking and of relatively small build and short range as Collins is (at this point).

Yeah I think both 9 and 29 are extremes. I would see his going anywhere from 18-22. Somewhere in between the projections. But if the "source" saying he isn't going to class is right then he's not leaving himself much of a choice but to leave.

He couldn't take a semester off to focus on the draft and then take full loads in summer school, if he decided to come back? Especially if he took summer school classes last year?

One thing to remember is that all these "mock drafts" are done by people who have no direct connection with the NBA and who get all their information through watching TV etc. If they only watched a few of Collins games, they might have very different opinions of him. Collins really blew up the second half of this season. He struggled against good teams early in the season (X. FSU, UNC) and didn't really start dominating offensively until mid January. Different people have different opinions about how Collins game will transition to the NBA.

He seems to be one guy who really needs to have the NBA talent gurus evaluate his current game, that is what he showed in February and March of this year and give him opinions on how it would do in the NBA. And tell him what parts of his game are not yet NBA ready. Watching his early games, and also seeing the times he sat because he had two personal fouls in the second half would give a really different picture than his dominating performances in Feb and March. Also, the mock draft people have different opinions on the importance of defense and the lack of it (probably under Danny's orders.)

Do current students even know this place exists?

He couldn't take a semester off to focus on the draft and then take full loads in summer school, if he decided to come back? Especially if he took summer school classes last year?

Didn't think of that but I've never heard of that happening before

That would be playing with fire academically at Wake.

Yeah I think both 9 and 29 are extremes. I would see his going anywhere from 18-22. Somewhere in between the projections. But if the "source" saying he isn't going to class is right then he's not leaving himself much of a choice but to leave.

I don't think 29 is that extreme, especially if a bunch of the maybes declare.

You guys realize the poster who floated that rumor was a [Redacted] supporter, and had the #hottakes that Daniel Green and Andre Washington would be solid contributors, right?

Didn't think of that but I've never heard of that happening before

It seems that we have had a few football players that have taken a semester or even year off for family/personal reasons and have returned to the team. I would think the feasibility of it would revolve around his academic progress up to this point. If he has passed all of this classes and went to both sessions of summer school, then he could probably easily catch back up in summer school. If he has had to drop a couple of classes and didn't take any/many classes last summer, then it may not be doable.

I am positive Danny and staff know what Collins' class attendance record is. Somebody on the BB staff probably speaks to every professor for everyone on the BB team on a regular basis. This is Wake Forest University, not some school with fake classes.

They legally can't speak about what they know. (Educational records privacy act.) But they can certainly use it to guide their interactions with potential recruits.

Back