• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Collins to test NBA, update: he has signed an agent, per Jeff Goodman

You guys realize the poster who floated that rumor was a [Redacted] supporter, and had the #hottakes that Daniel Green and Andre Washington would be solid contributors, right?

I haven't been around that long so I was unaware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If true, he's definitely not coming back

This isn't true at all.

He could easily be working out in Florida and using this semester as a "career advancement" opportunity. That would have been cleared with the school from an academics standpoint before taking place. Otherwise it would have been announced that he is not returning and entering the NBA Draft.

Yes, if he is not going to class the rest of this spring, he will not be playing basketball for Wake in the fall. Although I would be surprised if he wasn't going to class. I hope that would greatly disappoint the BB staff, as it would set a bad precedent. If he wants to go to the NBA, that is fine, but while at Wake he should be a Wake student.

He's still on scholarship, right? Are there "official" requirements for athletes that involve attendance, etc?

let's take JC at his word that he is basing his decision at least in part on what happens at the NBA combine/draft workouts. whether he's leaning on going 90-10 or 75-25 or 50-50 we don't know, but there's at least a chance he's thinking about coming back as there's no need for subterfuge regarding hiring an agent.

that said, i think he is going to do very well at the combine and in workouts and we should expect him to be gone, that is by far the most likely outcome.

This isn't true at all.

He could easily be working out in Florida and using this semester as a "career advancement" opportunity. That would have been cleared with the school from an academics standpoint before taking place. Otherwise it would have been announced that he is not returning and entering the NBA Draft.

So an athlete could theoretically just say "I'm gonna take this semester off" and come back to play the next semester? Are there not credit hour requirements? Seems like there would be, otherwise athletes could do this whenever they wanted to.

Also, since he was playing January February march, would that mean he withdrew from his classes or just stopped going?

Also, since he was playing January February march, would that mean he withdrew from his classes or just stopped going?

It is also possible to take an incomplete for a class and finish the work later to complete the class. Some schools have time limits on the completion window and it would probably require instructor consent.

NCAA has mandated credit minimums for eligibility based on your entry year. Technically you can drop a few classes or fail them outright in the spring but there is no room for error in summer school and beyond if you want to remain eligible. You also need to be a full time student so you need to be enrolled in at least 12 hours.

Last edited:
It's been a long time since WF has had a basketball player facing the prospect of leaving early, and as a result, it's hard to know the current protocol when a player declares for the draft, but doesn't hire an agent to retain the right to return to school. Also, agree that if JC were a 100% gone, he would just sign with an agent as there are benefit's to doing that (like upfront cash).

Even so, if the report of JC dropping this semester's classes to focus on the draft is accurate, that fact strongly tips in favor of him not returning to WF for a number of reasons including the lack of daily contact with his teammates and the school, the daily contact with others with different priorities and the difficulty to make up for the lost classroom time. Maybe there are examples of others dropping their classes, and returning to school, but got to believe that vast majority (as in almost all) that take this step, do not return. Would love to be wrong.

What report? Is this published somewhere or is it just one post?

yeah but there's no reason to give any credence to the class story stemming from a 50 post user that somehow has 3 red bars

What report? Is this published somewhere or is it just one post?

Qualified by "if the report... is accurate". Well aware that anything anywhere can be fake.

Good to know that it's fake.

JC is going to class. This conversation is stupid. No wonder Fake News has been so successful.

This post is the good news/bad news about Wake. Athletes can't really separate from the rest of the student body. They go to class with other regular students and their whereabouts are known.

This post is the good news/bad news about Wake. Athletes can't really separate from the rest of the student body. They go to class with other regular students and their whereabouts are known.

Wake Forest demands accountability?!?!

JC is going to class. This conversation is stupid. No wonder Fake News has been so successful.

We're talking about "if" scenarios, because this kind of thing happens. No need to get so uptight about it

Back