• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coming Out

DieHardDeacon

Reaction score
With all of the focus on Amendment 1 today, has anyone had someone close to them come out? Does it help to know someone who is LGBT on a personal level? Would you encourage people to come out?

Had a really good friend of mine come out. Was shocked for like... a day. Then thought about it and it made sense. Didn't really impact my way of thinking at all. It did make him more comfortable around us and able to be himself.

Not sure how close it is, but my sister-in-laws brother came out to the family a couple of years back. But, it was already pretty assumed because he was already in his 30s and my sister-in-law already knew.

Nobody really cared, more of an "Oh, that's nice" - just meant that the guy he brought to Thanksgiving was now a boyfriend instead of his roommate.

I have friends that have always been gay since I've known them, but not one dude that I was friends with has come out while I've been friends with them. It seems to defy the odds.

One of my little brother's best friends and fellow poly sci major at GW came out a few years ago to everyone's shock. Not shockingly, he is a high ranking official in the Republican Party now.

I had a close friend from college come out to me. We all knew they were gay, but I guess we can credit their strict Baptist upbringing for their years of inner-conflict and turmoil.

I had a friend in HS come out to me. I was the first person he told and he didn't tell anyone else for a little while after. I had no idea, which I think made him feel relieved but he was a little surprised that I didn't have much of a reaction. I was just like "cool" and then we talked about which guys we thought were hot in our school.

My cousin-in-law came out late last year. I think the only one's surprised were his dad and step-mom. His dad felt like he had failed in some way and step-mom (wife's aunt) was distraught. My wife and I basically said "your surprised?" and "no big deal". Step-mom asked me if I would be upset if my son turned out to be gay and I said no. She seemed equally surprised by that.

Anyway, the cousin is in college in Florida and hasn't really talked to the family much. I think he feels he needs to give his dad some space and let him process it.

I have had friends come out since leaving high school (who I suspected might be). Not surprising since I went to a conservative, redneck school.

I had a close friend from college come out to me. We all knew they were gay, but I guess we can credit their strict Baptist upbringing for their years of inner-conflict and turmoil.

Is your friend also bi-polar? Or do you refer to him/her in the plural for some other reason? :thumbsup:

I've had a couple friends come out to me. One was less of a surprise than the other.

Had 4 guys in my fraternity that were always suspect. Two of them came out and turns out they were fucking while we were pledging (pledge bros). Now all I want is the other two to just admit it but they are the kind of guys that are obviously gay but say stuff like "what a bunch of fags". For instance, one guy has a model picture for his twitter profile pic, works in Miami in PR, tweets about fashion week and still tries to tell me hes as straight as an arrow. FOR GOD SAKES MAN!

Pretty much all my gay friends were already "out" when I met them.

A high school friend came out as bisexual in the first year or so of college, and I was sort of surprised, but then looking back it wasn't all that shocking (admittedly the stereotype applied: softball player). She was a really good friend then, but college life happened and we fell out of touch.

Saw this quote from someone I follow on Twitter earlier:

"Imagine waking up this morning knowing that strangers were deciding who you could marry."

Had 4 guys in my fraternity that were always suspect. Two of them came out and turns out they were fucking while we were pledging (pledge bros). Now all I want is the other two to just admit it but they are the kind of guys that are obviously gay but say stuff like "what a bunch of fags". For instance, one guy has a model picture for his twitter profile pic, works in Miami in PR, tweets about fashion week and still tries to tell me hes as straight as an arrow. FOR GOD SAKES MAN!

Not sure if trolling, but it's possible to be completely straight, yet effeminate in some ways.

One HS friend came out after we graduated; one Governor's School friend came out after college; and my two best male friends at WF both came out in the five years after graduation. Only one of those was a surprise at the time, but in hindsight even that one shouldn't have been.

Don't know if this counts, but when I got on FB I found out that three of my high school friends were gay. Two were kind of a shock... one was pretty much confirmation. I had another friend I met at GSA come out MUCH later, and was surprised.

Back