• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Concussion diagnosis

I was thinking it was actually Ty's Sophomore season when he was strongly encouraged to redshirt.

This is how it should have been explained to Ty.

"Ty, you're not getting off the bench this year short of a season-ending injury. Nothing against you, you have all the upside on the planet, but we simply don't have a spot for you and you will not play. Whether or not you redshirt is completely up to you, but what is best for Wake Forest and what's best for the team is to redshirt you a year. The entire coaching staff believes it's best for you as well."

Instead he was told if he earned it he'd get playing time and that nothing was set in stone.

In 2009, Walker was quoted as saying "They offered me a redshirt and I feel as though I should have taken it."

When asked about the redshirt offer, Dino said, "I didn’t want to force it down his throat, but I also wanted to make sure he understood that he wasn’t going to play much.”

Dino's focus was on the immediate. He was a players coach and wanted to be liked which is what made him a good recruiter. But man, it was just a gigantic royal fuck up not to red shirt Ty. Instead of setting block records and likely earning millions of dollars straight out of college playing basketball, Ty will have to scratch and claw his way in Europe or the D-League to make a living. Not to mention we're out a dominant defensive center.

With CJ/Travis/Ty as our core coming back next year, lose Fields and bring in this class... We might be NCAA worthy. Instead I'm guessing bubble and another year to get there.

While I'm no fan of Dino, do you know for sure that was NOT what he said? Unless that's coming from you hearing the conversation, Dino or Ty, I'm not certain that it can be a "should have" post. I highly doubt that Dino said anything other than something along the lines of "if you outplay those in front of you in practice, you'll get PT." Basically, what any coach would tell a player, especially a 5*

While I'm no fan of Dino, do you know for sure that was NOT what he said? Unless that's coming from you hearing the conversation, Dino or Ty, I'm not certain that it can be a "should have" post. I highly doubt that Dino said anything other than something along the lines of "if you outplay those in front of you in practice, you'll get PT." Basically, what any coach would tell a player, especially a 5*

This is what I heard, that Dino said he was not likely to get much playing time but if he played well in practice he would play whoever earned it. It was intentionally not forceful, as his quote confirms.

I mean, let's say Dino WAS forceful in his language. He then played him in only 11 games on the year. 2 of which were less than a minute. If you look at any stat - rebounds, points, blocks, etc... In all those games he had a total of greater than 2 in any category exactly once - he pulled down 3 rebounds in the 2nd game of the year, a 120-88 laugher against UNC Wilmington in which he played 4 garbage minutes.

It's not like you have to declare a redshirt. If Dino knew he wasn't ready, knew he wouldn't play all year, WHY WHY WHY on earth do you play him in the first 3 games right out of the gate in garbage time? Those first three games were 40% of his entire season's worth of minutes. I mean, it's just completely asinine.

He treated a 5 star recruit like a walk-on instead of a scholarship because hey, who cares, we had 5 stars to burn and we were in the ACC hunt that year.

In the end it screwed over Ty and the team. Made Ty feel like he was failing by not earning more minutes. It also made him regret not redshirting the very next year and put him even further under the microscope and the transfer rumors started flying.

Saying "Ty decided, it wasn't up to Dino or the coaching staff" is nonsense.

Ty Walker is a shot blocking machine. He had 11 in a game when I saw him in HS over in Wilmington.

He had FSU's front line acting scared and looking all around.

Incredible.

After he sits out Clemson, he will have 10 games to show us what he's got and his rapid improvement lately has been a real pleasant surprise.

He should be 100% for UNC and that could be epic if he starts stuffing Zeller.

p.s. Play Daniel Green a lot at Clemson - we have NOTHING to lose and he needs experience.

Petter said incoming class, not current freshmen.

It would not be anyone from the incoming class and does not need to be.

If Ty was a RS junior and WF had the same 6 man class coming in, from the last 3 games "DNP Coaches Decision", it's clear who would/will not be coming back for the 2012-3 season.

With that said, agree that a player can not be "forced" to RS. Obvious that RSing was the way to go for Ty and his failure to follow the advice of those looking out for him explains many of his struggles over the last 4 years.

It would not be anyone from the incoming class and does not need to be.

If Ty was a RS junior and WF had the same 6 man class coming in, from the last 3 games "DNP Coaches Decision", it's clear who would/will not be coming back for the 2012-3 season.

With that said, agree that a player can not be "forced" to RS. Obvious that RSing was the way to go for Ty and his failure to follow the advice of those looking out for him explains many of his struggles over the last 4 years.

Of course a player can be forced to redshirt. Instead of playing 2 or 3 meaningless minutes in meaningless games like some walk-on, just don't play him.

11 appearances totaling 42 minutes as a freshman.

7 appearances totaling 48 minutes as a sophomore.

You knew he wasn't going to play his sophomore year over Chas, Weaver or Woods based on his lack of playing time his freshman year.

This whole thing is playing out the way most of us feared it would.

So saying that playing time is earned in practice is a bad thing? People will really say some ridiculous things in order to bash Dino.

So saying that playing time is earned in practice is a bad thing? People will really say some ridiculous things in order to bash Dino.

Nobody comes to school fired up to redshirt. Being Ty's buddy and giving him false hope of playing time was a huge mistake.

Nobody comes to school fired up to redshirt. Being Ty's buddy and giving him false hope of playing time was a huge mistake.

There's a big difference between saying that playing time is earned in practice and giving him false hope.

Sounds to me like Dino let him know that unless he radically exceeded expectations in practice he wasn't going to get a meaningful amount of playing time.

So why cave? Why play him pointless, trivial minutes amid a season of DNP's?

Clearly he didn't radically exceed any expectations. He had no place in the rotation.

By treating him like a walk on, Dino essentially let Ty coach him.

Wow, didn't really know this about 'redshirts'. Dino was an idiot.

link

" The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition."

Of course a player can be forced to redshirt. Instead of playing 2 or 3 meaningless minutes in meaningless games like some walk-on, just don't play him.

Of course you can't force a player to redshirt. You can try, by not playing him, but the player has the trump card in that he can transfer. Since he hasn't played, he can transfer after the first semester, and play the next year. Even if the player agrees to redshirt reluctantly, you run the risk of him becoming disenchanted from not playing and transfer anyway.

Last edited:
Back