• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Concussion diagnosis

Why was he not redshirted last year?

Because we needed him to play, especially after Woods left school. But his sophomore year it was obvious that he wasn't going to play over Chas, Weaver and Woods. In fact he played in four less games that year. I remember also reading that he lifted weights with Nikita on a different schedule than the team did. There was no intent to play him yet Dino wasted a year of eligibility for no clear reason. Sure he could transfer, but then he would have to sit out a year, which is no different than redshirting.

Of course you can't force a player to redshirt. You can try, by not playing him, but the player has the trump card in that he can transfer. Since he hasn't played, he can transfer after the first semester, and play the next year. Even if the player agrees to redshirt reluctantly, you run the risk of him becoming disenchanted from not playing and transfer anyway.

Yeah, racking up those 2 minutes of pt in garbage time makes all the difference I guess.

You can defend plenty about Dino's tenure. The handling of Ty is not one of them.

Yeah, racking up those 2 minutes of pt in garbage time makes all the difference I guess.

You can defend plenty about Dino's tenure. The handling of Ty is not one of them.

Not defending Dino's tenure. Just disabusing people of the notion that a coach can "force" a player to redshirt. And those 2 minutes of garbage time did make all the difference in that it meant Ty would have had to sit out a year if he decided to transfer.

so back to the original question any word on Ty and any availability to play against Clemson?

Disagree. Strongly.

You should never force a basketball player to redshirt against his will. It would have an adverse impact on future recruiting when word spreads that you recruit kids to play in your program and then force a redshirt against their will. The damage done would be much greater than any good achieved by gaining a fifth year from a marginal player (definition: one you would recruit and then redshirt for other than physical reasons).

Ty was done no disservice. He was given a choice with a strong recommendation. He chose to go in another direction. Any fault lies solely with him. Frankly, he is fortunate to be here now. But, that is another story.

I agree with all of this.

so back to the original question any word on Ty and any availability to play against Clemson?

He's probably being evaluated every day. I bet [Redacted] won't know for sure until Saturday morning.

He's probably being evaluated every day. I bet [Redacted] won't know for sure until Saturday morning.

This is correct. In the past we had defined lengths of time before being allowed to resume activity depending on the severity of the concussion. The algorithm now is to wait until all symptoms have resolved and then gradually increase activity as long as the symptoms do not return. So it is a day to day decision.

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/mytakeonwake/entry/walker-will-play-if-recovered/

What Collins does know is that there is no conference or school policy that would prevent Walker from playing the next game after sustaining a concussion. If you were watching the FoxSports telecast of the Wake-Florida State game Wednesday, you might have heard differently from color commentator Mike Gminski.

Not defending Dino's tenure. Just disabusing people of the notion that a coach can "force" a player to redshirt. And those 2 minutes of garbage time did make all the difference in that it meant Ty would have had to sit out a year if he decided to transfer.

Either way it's a failure of leadership. So we trapped him here? That's your successful Dino defense? He didn't play a single meaningful minute for him. We'd have been much better off if he'd transferred his freshman year or redshirted him.

Instead we let a kid tell our head coach how to run the team, we used him like a walk-on for two years and damaged his career and hurt Wake Forest as well.

It's the head coach's job to make decisions like this. Kid, you're not ready. Sit a year or find another school because I'm not wasting your year for 40 minutes of garbage floor time.

I'm not excusing Ty. He screwed up and has admitted as much. Bottom line is Dino wanted him to redshirt. Ty didn't. Look who won and look at who is the head coach. Look at the results. There's no argument here. I don't think Dino would even argue it.

This is stupid. If Ty had shown a tenth of what he has done this season he would have seen more playing time. You earn time on the floor. This redshirt business is stupid. He had a chance to make an impact two years ago. Duncan didn't need a redshirt. Not every project needs a redshirt. He was a five fucking star center in high school... what coach thinks that guy should pump some iron for a year instead of blocking fucking basketballs?

And I'll add I am way in on the buy position on Ty. The kid finally figured out he's 7 feet tall with the wingspan of a 747 and his god given ability is to block fucking shots.

Ty, if you read this garbage... do what you do best. Get your head healed and get out there and block ten shots a game. I believe in you. You own that lane and nobody can take it from you.

The worst that happens is you get a Wake degree... the rest is gravy. But I have a feeling you'll get some love overseas.

This is stupid. If Ty had shown a tenth of what he has done this season he would have seen more playing time. You earn time on the floor. This redshirt business is stupid. He had a chance to make an impact two years ago. Duncan didn't need a redshirt. Not every project needs a redshirt. He was a five fucking star center in high school... what coach thinks that guy should pump some iron for a year instead of blocking fucking basketballs?

Search for articles on Ty before the season started. It was almost universally assumed that due to his lack of size and strength he would redshirt. His high school coach assumed it. The major scouts assumed it. Dino wanted it. Anyone who watched his brief freshman appearance instantly knew he should have been redshirted.

That is just ridiculous revisionist history.

Search for articles on Ty before the season started. It was almost universally assumed that due to his lack of size and strength he would redshirt. His high school coach assumed it. The major scouts assumed it. Dino wanted it. Anyone who watched his brief freshman appearance instantly knew he should have been redshirted.

That is just ridiculous revisionist history.

Well the kid wanted to play ball. More power to him. What he should have done is played for Wilmington and average 10 blocks a game and he'd already be in the NBA. It's one thing if you go into a program agreeing to redshirt. It's another when you get there and they throw that on you. I'm siding with Ty on this one. It didn't work out but I think this kid has finally found himself and that five star shit is coming out. I can't wait to see what he does the rest of this season and on down the road.

Well the kid wanted to play ball. More power to him. What he should have done is played for Wilmington and average 10 blocks a game and he'd already be in the NBA. It's one thing if you go into a program agreeing to redshirt. It's another when you get there and they throw that on you. I'm siding with Ty on this one. It didn't work out but I think this kid has finally found himself and that five star shit is coming out. I can't wait to see what he does the rest of this season and on down the road.

Then you aren't siding with Ty, because he has admitted that he should have redshirted.

Then you aren't siding with Ty, because he has admitted that he should have redshirted.

Well, hell yes he says that. He's a five star center and his coaches tell him he's not ready. Pump some iron. Deflate your ego. Sit in the corner. And a five star becomes a one star. Slow clap.

I would guess he's gained five pounds maybe. Maybe he benches twenty more pounds. Big deal.

The bottom line is he finally has his mind right and he regrets not having still another year to really show us what he's got. He had his chance. I am way into what he's doing. I can't wait to watch the rest of the season but this redshirt discussion wouldn't even be on the table if he was still pouting on the end of the bench this season.

Let's just say the kid finally got "it" and enjoy...

i love when dirk gets a little salty, presumably after a couple of cocktails.

The bottom line is he finally has his mind right and he regrets not having still another year to really show us what he's got.

The redshirt quote is from 2009. Not this year. He immediately regretted not redshirting. A simple "ok, we won't plan on a redshirt, you practice hard and when we need you, we'll play you" would have been enough. Instead Dino burned the redshirt in the first game possible.

I love his improvement and am looking forward to the rest of the year as well. But he should be looking forward to a senior year, not on the way out with Nikita in year 2 of a rebuild.

Back