• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

If the ACC stays intact for another five years (let along 13) at the current payouts, its member institutions will be so far behind the B1G, SEC, and even the Big XII, that schools will be suing to leave and will pay whatever it takes to get out in hopes that they will one day be viable again.

This is scary, but very possible.

Far behind in money? Yes. But where is that money going and is it going to change the current balance of power in college sports?

Change is inevitable. I root for Wake because I went there. If I’d gone to a d3 school I’d root for them for the same reason. It’s not like we’re good at anything anyway

We’re in the ACC but we’re not a sports school. What difference does it make other than we don’t have to lose to teams we dislike anymore. Lose to a historical rival or a new made up enemy. Doesn’t matter to me. A loss is a loss.

Hope is just despair deferred

Far behind in money? Yes. But where is that money going and is it going to change the current balance of power in college sports?
This is the big question. Everyone is chasing money but what is that money doing? It’s certainly not helping the Big 10 be competitive. The ACC has done fine on the actual fields/courts against these other conferences.

Is Missouri any closer to playing for a national title in football than Wake?
Nope. And FSU missing out on so much money is not directly correlated with on-field success like their AD wants you to believe.

None of this is about fans. Do you think Clemson fans will be happy when they are making more money but aren’t playing for national championships? Just like others said, Maryland and Nebraska fans certainly aren’t happy. FSU can barely compete in the ACC anymore. Good luck somewhere else.

I do think that Currie has a plan. So I’ll just trust that. It sucks since we’ve been more relevant than most of these schools on the actual field in recent times.

This. Wake has beaten the crap out of the "magnificent 7" and has the 2nd longest bowl game streak to clem's son.

Good riddance to them.

Well, I'll say this much. If God was ever looking after Wake Forest sports, he gave us John Currie at this time and place. With that previous assclown, we had ZERO chance. With Currie, we might have a fighting chance of remaining relevant when all of this implodes.

Well, I'll say this much. If God was ever looking after Wake Forest sports, he gave us John Currie at this time and place. With that previous assclown, we had ZERO chance. With Currie, we might have a fighting chance of remaining relevant when all of this implodes.
He does have Big 12 connections…

ADs came out of a four hour meeting in Amelia Island this evening under a gag order.

Change is inevitable. I root for Wake because I went there. If I’d gone to a d3 school I’d root for them for the same reason. It’s not like we’re good at anything anyway

We’re in the ACC but we’re not a sports school. What difference does it make other than we don’t have to lose to teams we dislike anymore. Lose to a historical rival or a new made up enemy. Doesn’t matter to me. A loss is a loss.

Hope is just despair deferred
Yeah, we really suck at baseball and women’s golf this year. Ranked #1 in both. And we have only been to 7 straight bowls in football. That’s really bad. Tennis and soccer have never won anything. Neither has men’s golf. You are right.

Back