• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Perhaps I am naive but why are they exploring leaving instead of poaching other schools to join. This is a dog eat dog world. The ACC needs to become the hunter, not the hunted. And I don’t mean for the Big East’s sloppy seconds. I mean real schools.

nobody is exploring getting schools to join the ACC because all the desirable schools would have to take a pay cut to do so

Perhaps I am naive but why are they exploring leaving instead of poaching other schools to join. This is a dog eat dog world. The ACC needs to become the hunter, not the hunted. And I don’t mean for the Big East’s sloppy seconds. I mean real schools.
That doesn't change the TV deal unless you can entice a big enough name or 6 to join. No one available would be enough to get a more lucrative deal and no one with a better deal is inclined to want to board a sinking ship.

It would have to be a school or two with enough panache to force disney to reopen contract negotiations. Right now we are are behind the others in TV revenue, so you're adding other teams and just diluting the pie. Need to grow the pie.
Yep. There aren’t any schools to add unless we have hard data that adding WVU or something would eventually make them more money than they’re making in the Big 12 with a new ACC deal.

Edit: that does not include the PAC-12 schools. Some of those could theoretically sweeten the pot.

Plus wasn't there an NIL article where Bubba sayins NIL is going to hoops and football and lowering contributions and support for non revenue teams. He could be looking for ways to fund women's soccer.
I feel real bad for him. Doesn't the Ram's Club have a balance of $1B or something stupid?

With respect to whether or not U*NC would vote to dissolve the ACC, it has already been conclusively proven that there is no depth that institution will not sink to in order to chase football glory that they will never reach. In a million years. You can talk about delusional fan bases all you want, but those yahoos take the cake when it comes to that.

Wake's biggest issue is that there are only tens of Wake fans that didn't go to Wake...unlike the Clemsons (due to FB championships) or FSU (for previous success and a shit-hole state).
growing up in NC, everyone was a Carolina fan or lesser State. Duke only has fans because of their BB history...i expect that to simmer down under their new coach.
Wake is everyone’s second favorite team it seems like though that gets us views

Wake is everyone’s second favorite team it seems like though that gets us views
giphy.gif

As long as Wake stays in a "power-ish" conference, and can compete for the same national championships as UNC, Bama and Ohio State, then I'll be okay with things.

If we drop a division and compete for a lesser championship, I will be upset by it all.
We aren’t going to be in a power-ish conference though. That’s the problem - we don’t have the national brand or television fanbase to get a spot in one of those conferences. Wake is likely moving down the ranks to group of 5 in this scenario, our athletics budget probably gets halved, and eventually our football program goes down in quality to the level of an ECU or Memphis because we aren’t getting Power 5 recruits any more.

We aren’t going to be in a power-ish conference though. That’s the problem - we don’t have the national brand or television fanbase to get a spot in one of those conferences. Wake is likely moving down the ranks to group of 5 in this scenario, our athletics budget probably gets halved, and eventually our football program goes down in quality to the level of an ECU or Memphis because we aren’t getting Power 5 recruits any more.
That depends on how many teams end up in the big leagues. There are only so many roster spots. Now any player that has a good year at Wake is out the door in this landscape.

That depends on how many teams end up in the big leagues. There are only so many roster spots. Now any player that has a good year at Wake is out the door in this landscape.
Thing is, all the NCAA rules that we have now for D1 football or athletics are just as arbitrary as the conferences. If 50 universities decide to form their own super league, there is nothing preventing the remaining schools from creating their own division with its own rules. These programs that are going to get left out of the power conferences don’t have to just roll over and submit and become some unregulated feeder league.

Maybe. But, its foolish to act like for WF its a fait accompli. The future is uncertain. No power conference team has fallen out of power conference since the realignment started decades ago. The last one to essentially get left out was TCU, and they played their way back into the Big 12 (after stints in the WAC, CUSA, Mountain West and brief acceptance of a Big East bid). The best thing WF can do is continue to win in all sports, particularly football and basketball. FWIW, winning a CWS would help as well.

Maybe. But, its foolish to act like for WF its a fait accompli. The future is uncertain. No power conference team has fallen out of power conference since the realignment started decades ago. The last one to essentially get left out was TCU, and they played their way back into the Big 12 (after stints in the WAC, CUSA, Mountain West and brief acceptance of a Big East bid). The best thing WF can do is continue to win in all sports, particularly football and basketball. FWIW, winning a CWS would help as well.
This isn’t true. The Big East was a power conference. UConn is hanging out alone in Storrs. USF still isn’t in a power conference. Cincy just got back to one.

Back