• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

If you define “Athletics” as just football and baseball, yes.

If you define it as all NCAA Sports, this take is completely wrong.
The SEC had 9 schools in the top 25 of the Directors Cup last year. You can tell me why the Directors Cup isn’t a good measure (“they play a lot more sports than we do” always seemed to be the argument against Stanford being #1), but it seems like the SEC has a pretty good case at being the best Athletics conference to me.

For the record, I hate the SEC and all the SEC fan boys. But objectively, it doesn't seem crazy to say they are the best.

Last edited:
I don’t know that I understand all the panic and hand wringing. It’s college sports. Wake will play in a conference. We’ll root for Wake and things will go on.

It’s not like it’s been the real ACC ever since they added the northern schools anyway
Yeah this is kind of where I’m at. Remember that nobody is talking about new schools or different schools passing us. It’s the same pool of schools and the same athletes. There’s no shiny new thing coming up in our rear view mirror who is going to overtake us and get rich while we get poor. It’s the same schools competing for the same athletes playing the same game in the same TV slots. The pie will get divvied up differently over time and we’re talking about forces here that aren’t entirely within our control.

Keep hiring good coaches, putting them in good facilities, keep recruiting and landing good players and competing and playing hard. Do all this and there will be a room at the table for Wake Forest somewhere. No one is coming up to take our place. The place may not be where we’ve exactly been before but keep doing these things and we will have a place somewhere in this new landscape. With change there is also opportunity.

The SEC had 9 schools in the top 25 of the Directors Cup last year. You can tell me why the Directors Cup isn’t a good measure (“they play a lot more sports than we do” always seemed to be the argument against Stanford being #1), but it seems like the SEC has a pretty good case at being the best Athletics conference to me.

For the record, I hate the SEC and all the SEC fan boys. But objectively, it doesn't seem crazy to say they are the best.
Florida got crushed by Notre Dame in the women’s lacrosse tournament last weekend…..not that this matters to the overall point of the debate just wanted to make a contribution to the conversation

It also doesn't exactly keep people happy. It was the reason why Nebraska and Missouri left the Big 12 and it didn't keep Texas and Oklahoma in the B12.

But I think the big difference is that their model was built on eyeballs. If it's built on winning games, then you have a slightly different story (but probably the same outcome come 2030ish)
Well, we definitely should not cater to schools we expect to walk at their first opportunity. Milk them for as much as we can while we can. If they want to restructure to their advantage now, it has to come with a trade off later.

I will be fully clear. The Never any Hope ? Schtick...long standing.

Feeling that what matters is winning conference championships and being in tournaments that give you a chance to win a national championship. Not Schtick. Consistently being in Gasparilla Bowls etc ? that's fine... if that's what you all see as the goal ? great. I don't. I want to win ACC or whatever conference we are in championships in football. I want to be relevant on a national stage by going to the NCAA Tournament in basketball. That's my standard for success in the team I root for. If that makes me an asshat so be it.
So dumb. That’s how all of us feel. But, most of us aren’t going to act like we are as bad
Don't agree. The Grant of Rights gives leverage to the schools that want to keep the conference together and keep the revenues at an even split. That GOR leverage evaporates if a majority of schools are willing break up the conference.

One option could be to break up the ACC and have 8 teams leave for the Big 12, which would be the Big 20, and would suck, even for Clemson and FSU.

The other option is that for those that are threatening to leave the ACC to make a deal to stay in the ACC for a bigger piece of the pie (also, to allow Clemson and others to wait until a better deal than joining the lame Big 12 - Big 20, which they can do at anytime) comes around.

My guess is that if 8 or more schools express a willingness to break up the ACC and end the GOR, in the short term, they will agree to stay in the ACC for a greater share of the revenues. Either option sucks for WF, but I not buying that there are 8 schools willing to leave the ACC and join the Big 12 right now. There are too many schools in that group that want to keep their Big 10 and SEC options open.
Would be badass if Clemson and FSU are convincing the others to join an exodus to the Big12. Then when the GOR is officially dissolved, they say FU to Louisville and the other asshats and leave them stranded while they go to the SEC.

I don't. Wake's my team. Ride or die.
I'm not shitting on Wake. I am shitting on the idea that making 7 bowls in a row is a huge accomplishment. Literally over half the teams in the FBS go to a bowl every year. Going to a bowl should be the MINIMUM expectation. And i can't stand that so many people are ok with essentially just having a winning record every year.

I hate the idea that we are Wake Forest so we should be thrilled with that. I think Wake can be better. I think the standard should be higher. I see no reason why Wake shouldn't compete for a conference Championship in football every year.
You keep talking like most schools have accomplished what we have. What percentage have gone to as many consecutive bowls as we have?

We all agree that just going to a bowl shouldn’t be our ultimate goal on a given year. Fucking Alabama isn’t going to compete for a conference championship every year.

Our viewership was above two of the magnificent seven schools. Take that bitches!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230516_190845_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230516_190845_Chrome.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 54
Probably being naïve, but have a hard time believing UNC and UVA are going to vote to dissolve the ACC.
Why wouldn’t they. If the people that would cast the vote would be in line for a big pay raise with new revenue, of course they would.

Why wouldn’t they. If the people that would cast the vote would be in line for a big pay raise with new revenue, of course they would.

Exactly. These decisions aren’t made for the fans or by the fans. These decisions are made by ADs who figure they won’t last until 2036 so they need to cash out ASAP.

I’ve never understood this academic superiority BS. The height of privileged arrogance
Really? A bunch of nerds taking pride in their school’s academic reputation makes a lot more sense than bragging about the performance of a bunch of athletes they’ve never met.

Really? A bunch of nerds taking pride in their school’s academic reputation makes a lot more sense than bragging about the performance of a bunch of athletes they’ve never met.

There is a huge difference between taking pride in a schools academic reputation and belittling another schools reputation and lording it over them.

If we, for reasons that escape me, want to navel gaze about the best combo of sports and academics among major conferences, the Big 10 says hello.

Personally, I am bored to tears about all this academic bullshit. I'm mildly pleased when I see that WFU has some academic accomplishment (assuming I learn about it). But I am happy as fuck when we beat the crap out of someone in any sport.

The straws folks grasp for in troubling times...
Meh. As an ACC alum (not FSU, State, or Louisville), perfectly reasonable to take pride in the fact that the ACC is a strong academic conference. It matters, at least on some level.

Exactly. These decisions aren’t made for the fans or by the fans. These decisions are made by ADs who figure they won’t last until 2036 so they need to cash out ASAP.
Not a huge difference, but I assume the decision to actually leave the conference would be decided by presidents and boards.

Back