• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Yeah I just did some quick web browsing and it seems the number of grad degrees available at Wake continues to shrink pretty dramatically and is far surpassed by the number available at Rice. There were way more offered at Wake when I was in school almost thirty years ago. I'm sure you academic types can readily ID the reasons but I would think Wake would not want the grad school to get too small.

Yeah I just did some quick web browsing and it seems the number of grad degrees available at Wake continues to shrink pretty dramatically and is far surpassed by the number available at Rice. There were way more offered at Wake when I was in school almost thirty years ago. I'm sure you academic types can readily ID the reasons but I would think Wake would not want the grad school to get too small.
It’s honestly a respectable decision by WF, especially with our focus on humanities which is shrinking many places. It’s irresponsible to be giving grad degrees in the humanities unless you have an extremely established program at an Ivy or equivalent institution these days.

Wouldn't we need to find two more teams to get to 20?

At some point maybe you have to look at trying to blunt the 12 - maybe take UCF (FSU won't like- but they are looking to get out anyway), WVU (good for Pitt), and maybe Cin (good for Louis).

https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg...ball-expansion-big-12-colorado-arizona-report

Would love to grab Oregon, Washington, and Stanford and somehow get ND on board if the PAC implodes. Then make four pods of five teams and a two week acc championship
This isn't happening. Oregon, Washington, Stanford and ND are already prime Big Ten targets. ND isn't giving up independence and the other schools aren't leaving the Pac 12 to join the ACC if BIG comes calling. And BIG will come calling because USC and UCLA need travel partners.

Also, agreed that until something happens, all this is pure speculation.

This isn't happening. Oregon, Washington, Stanford and ND are already prime Big Ten targets. ND isn't giving up independence and the other schools aren't leaving the Pac 12 to join the ACC if BIG comes calling. And BIG will come calling because USC and UCLA need travel partners.

Also, agreed that until something happens, all this is pure speculation.

Just more big20 schools to suck at postseason.

“When it comes to conference realignment, Notre Dame, Miami, Arizona State and USF are all a little more desirable and have a little more clout today than they did yesterday.

The Association of American Universities — AAU — announced the addition of six new members on Thursday, including the aforementioned four schools, plus UC Riverside and George Washington.”

“Currently there are only a few AAU schools at the FBS level that are not in a Power Five football conference.

Those include: Tulane (AAC), Rice (AAC), USF (AAC) and Buffalo (MAC).”

It’s laughable that the SEC and Big Ten would willingly break off from the wildly popular and wildly profitable men’s basketball NCAA Tournament. The women’s tournament is about to make a nice amount too. A competing SEC vs Big Ten tournament would net a fraction of what they get from the Big Dance.

That’s galaxy brain nonsense by a conference searching for any edge.
Now while the NCAA tourney is wildly popular it may be harder to figure on comparing that money wise to football. P5 football brings in 80-85% of all of our money. The NCAA has allowed themselves to get locked into the same grant of rights umbrella with CBS/Turner/Tru for the same exact $1.1 billion per year thru 2032. ($338,887 per unit for each win)
College football drives it.

Wouldn't we need to find two more teams to get to 20?

At some point maybe you have to look at trying to blunt the 12 - maybe take UCF (FSU won't like- but they are looking to get out anyway), WVU (good for Pitt), and maybe Cin (good for Louis).
Why would Cincy leave B12? Why would UCF?

Why would Cincy leave B12? Why would UCF?
They won’t. When all is said and done there will be three mega conferences. SEC Big Ten and Big XII. Big XII will absorb the Pac leftovers and the non-magnificents, including Wake. Everyone else in the country will be considered mid major.

Now while the NCAA tourney is wildly popular it may be harder to figure on comparing that money wise to football. P5 football brings in 80-85% of all of our money. The NCAA has allowed themselves to get locked into the same grant of rights umbrella with CBS/Turner/Tru for the same exact $1.1 billion per year thru 2032. ($338,887 per unit for each win)
College football drives it.

Sure. But why would the SEC and Big Ten leave NCAA Tournament money behind?

They won’t. When all is said and done there will be three mega conferences. SEC Big Ten and Big XII. Big XII will absorb the Pac leftovers and the non-magnificents, including Wake. Everyone else in the country will be considered mid major.

The Big12 isn't coming near us once the ACC music finally stops.

Sure. But why would the SEC and Big Ten leave NCAA Tournament money behind?
Didn’t really say they would or wouldn’t. But bball isn’t the driver of things anymore is my point. NCAA way back in 2016 or so stupidly signed that CBS extension for the same money all the way thru 2032. Sounds like Swofford with ACC tying us up thru 2026 for same money. Meanwhile B10 signs new deal for $1.15 bill per year and gets USC & UCLA.

The Big12 isn't coming near us once the ACC music finally stops.
Now they might not but in 5-10 years if we keep bball and football in upward trajectories why would they not? They were talking about adding UConn a week ago whose football program has been a joke

Now they might not but in 5-10 years if we keep bball and football in upward trajectories why would they not? They were talking about adding UConn a week ago whose football program has been a joke

Because we are a dialtone in the national landscape of basketball even when we are good. We don't generate viewers or revenue and that is really all that matters anymore.

We can’t really know how Wake will be viewed in a decade, but 3-4 Final Fours plus a natty under Forbes would at least make it interesting. There’s a lot of national bandwagonners we could potentially attract during that time.

We can’t really know how Wake will be viewed in a decade, but 3-4 Final Fours plus a natty under Forbes would at least make it interesting. There’s a lot of national bandwagonners we could potentially attract during that time.
if that happens i will get a picture of forbes tattooed on my ass

Because we are a dialtone in the national landscape of basketball even when we are good. We don't generate viewers or revenue and that is really all that matters anymore.
Where do you think all the Duke fans came from? It became a national brand after winning....

Also our viewership numbers for football the last two years have been middle of the ACC.

Back