• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I am happy for FSU to leave if their boosters want to pony up the exit fee and buy out their 13 years worth of media rights.

Congrats to USF for joining the SEC and winning the SEC East.

It's already been reported multiple times that this has been explored in depth.

The numbers don't work.
IDK but I am curious if the act of expansion itself might trigger an out under the GOR. It may not be an option at all, outside of ND (LOL).

There's also a good chance adding more teams will backfire on conferences like adding more content is backfiring on streaming services now. Adding teams may look cool until there's no market for filler games with no rivalry juice like Arizona vs. UCF. The Big XII is getting full price for everyone now but that won't last in the next contract.

There's also a good chance adding more teams will backfire on conferences like adding more content is backfiring on streaming services now. Adding teams may look cool until there's no market for filler games like Arizona vs. UCF.
I don't understand how addition for addition's sake is supposed to increase revenue in a cord-cutting environment. The ACC expanded into the most populated corridor of the country and we're losing ground to the people who cornered the market on the Ozarks and the Northern Tier.

FWIW people who are pretty decently connected to FSU think it's about stadium renovations.

Not saying they're not trying to pull out but I think that one isn't about leaving the ACC

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FSU fans even getting dragged by Clemson folks on Twitter for acting all high and mighty. I mean if Clemson (who also is pretty eager to get out of the ACC by all accounts if they can get an SEC invite) is dragging you for going public like this FSU...idk man.

IDK but I am curious if the act of expansion itself might trigger an out under the GOR. It may not be an option at all, outside of ND (LOL).
At least from my conversations last week, it doesn't.

The issue is you would need ESPN to add~300MM a year for four schools to add more than like 3-4 million to each school. That is why it hasn't happened, ESPN is broke.

I don't understand how addition for addition's sake is supposed to increase revenue in a cord-cutting environment. The ACC expanded into the most populated corridor of the country and we're losing ground to the people who cornered the market on the Ozarks and the Northern Tier.

Because nobody gives a fuck about Syracuse and BC.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey I'll eat my crow even a couple of the FSU writers are a little bit taken aback with... how much was said. A lot of the talk was simply that they'd send some signals not actually come out and say the damn thing

I don't begrudge FSU trustees for wanting to get that paycheck, FSU fans for wanting to play in a conference more deeply rooted in the south and with a slightly higher profile, and FSU at large for wanting to make a move to the SEC.

I do think it's hilarious to act like they need money to compete on the national stage when they're outspending almost everybody in the ACC at present in football and are 32-32 over the last 8 years in conference play and have 10 fewer wins than fucking Wake Forest football over 6 years.

At least from my conversations last week, it doesn't.

The issue is you would need ESPN to add~300MM a year for four schools to add more than like 3-4 million to each school. That is why it hasn't happened, ESPN is broke.
Nobody in the national media wants to talk about this part. There are so many ways SEC football house of cards could fall apart. Disney closing their wallets is one of them.

Florida State, Mississippi State, what's the difference
Several million dollars and having to go up north for a bowl game. Otherwise it's the same thing, especially for fans.

I'm not too shocked about the Trustees being up at arms because they'd have a say in spending that extra cash. Fans should be more concerned about NIL and winning games.

Back