• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Seems like Stanford will get an invite to the B10 if they want it. They have more money than god and are just too important culturally and politically. B10 should want to take them even if it dilutes the cash a bit.

That "choice of law" thing with FSU seems plausible. They way I read it, FSU would bolt, the ACC would sue for the fee, FSU would argue that FL law governs, and in the meantime the FL legislature would write a law with retroactive effect saying FSU can't be held liable for breaching the GOR.
This seems quite unlikely to work to me. Any claim that Florida law would apply feels pretty weak, considering that the GOR is a contract between schools in several different states, centered around a conference headquartered in North Carolina. And there could be a problem under the Contracts Clause of the Constitution if the Florida legislature tries to retroactively declare this contract unenforceable

Article I, Section 10 of the Florida Constitution would seem problematic to this strategy:

SECTION 10. Prohibited laws.—No bill of attainder, ex post facto law or law impairing the obligation of contracts shall be passed.
Link
Strong pull here @KitchinDeac. Pos.

FSU is dumb. Their team sucks. Their fans wear jorts and they don't deserve Lenny Ham. Hopefully they become 5-7 pariahs in our league.

One "feature" of the ACC GoR according to one lawyer is that there is no specified venue gor litigation. Thus, first you have to litigate where to litigate. Florida? NC? Federal court?
I mean, this is almost certainly wrong. If there is no venue specified, you can bring the suit in any court with personal jurisdiction over the parties, which would likely be courts in both Florida and North Carolina. And as for state v. federal court, that is not a complicated issue

If need be to survive as nd is playing hard to get and should be kicked out of the ACC all together, would not be opposed to adding stanford and cal to the newly minted APC (Atlantic Pacific Conference).

I mean, they are real academic schools and not glorified high schools like in the sec, for example.

It's gonna be funny when USC, UCLA, etc, fans are watching Mountain West's Washington St play in the CFP, after going undefeated against a mediocre schedule.
In a sense that was the national championship this year…TCU left for dead after the SWC imploded (ended up in Mountain West), playing against Georgia. Meanwhile Bevo has been irrelevant for most college kids lifetimes.

In a sense that was the national championship this year…TCU left for dead after the SWC imploded (ended up in Mountain West), playing against Georgia. Meanwhile Bevo has been irrelevant for most college kids lifetimes.
TCU has been in the Big 12 for over a decade. But I see your point in that the Big 12 was left for dead.

Still like the idea of testing the waters and heading across the pond. With NIL, who cares what athletes do during the year? All ACC schools already have a footprint there academically. It’ll just make the footprint even bigger. And it would still allow it to be called the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Last edited:
There's absolutely nothing to do in the mod west IS part of the problem.
I totally disagree. Lincoln was an awesome town when we played them when we fumbled the opening kickoff. Great morning tailgate, great night life afterwards. Same with Columbus, Ann Arbor, Madison, Bloomington, and yes NW (because of Chicago).

I‘ll give you W. Lafayette and Iowa City. E. Lansing, kind of like NCSU, but hotter chicks.

Last edited:
Still like the idea of testing the waters and heading across the pond. With NIL, who cares what athletes do during the year? All ACC schools already have a footprint there academically. It’ll just make the footprint even bigger. And it would still allow it to be called the Atlantic Coast Conference.

What college sports do they play across the pond?

This is all about football and they don’t play it over there

“Nowadays there are over 1 million children who play organized tackle football across Europe each year; this number grows every year as more teams are created around Europe and more people begin participating in various leagues throughout their countries.”

And yes, American football and not soccer. Why do you think the NFL, as well as NCAA have tested the waters with games? It surely isn’t because people in the US wanted to wake up at the ass crack of dawn.

Last edited:
nd is the "golden" goose and a logical ACC fit academically and size wise.

All the others are just window dressing.

Just think of the ACC and nd headlines if we get this done for nd all-in!

With the big20 filling out their numbers, the time is now!!

Ryan McGee to f$u, on a 3 game losing streak to Wake: "Sometimes, 'ya ain't as big a deal as 'ya think you are...."

Back