• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

man you know SMU and its rich asshole Texan boosters was primed for an eventual Big 12 or SEC invite but then they're gonna settle for free ACC membership
Plus SMU is about our size with about $2 billion endowment & 7000 undergrads.

I don't get what NDs endgame is here. We are sprinting into mega conferences where they will dump the NCAA and control access to any sort of football championship. Eventually ND has to go somewhere right?
No, not when their new AD (now Chairman of NBC sports Pete Bavacqua) gets them a new $60 mill per year NBC contract next year. They won’t need a football conference I wouldn’t imagine.

No, not when their new AD (now Chairman of NBC sports Pete Bavacqua) gets them a new $60 mill per year NBC contract next year. They won’t need a football conference I wouldn’t imagine.

Conflict of interest?!

Shocker.

We need some serious outside the box thinking on this one to survive as a league, IMHO. Someone is going to figure a way out of the GOR with all of this money flying around.

Shocker.

We need some serious outside the box thinking on this one to survive as a league, IMHO. Someone is going to figure a way out of the GOR with all of this money flying around.
Is there a lot of money flying around? I see a lot of schools taking less money because the broadcast money ISN’T there

Can't believe it has to be said, but the ACC will not be adding any of

JMU
Rice
Temple
Memphis
UAB

SMU would fall all over themselves for an ACC invite right now. They basically already are.

Is there a lot of money flying around? I see a lot of schools taking less money because the broadcast money ISN’T there
Wasn’t referring to broadcast money - I mean just money in general. I could totally see a Florida State and even a Clemson somehow ditching the ACC regardless of the GOR. They could both probably come up with the cash in short order (over a defined payment period for the revenue lost…let’s say ten years) IF there is the sense that it’s a do or die moment to join a stable conference. I feel like this happens if the ACC sits on their hands and does nothing (or fails miserably with expanding the league and securing some kind of long term game plan) - just waiting until 2036 is a death sentence for the league. It would be a carbon copy of the USC/UCLA defaults and then it all falls apart.

I didn’t think the GOR would be able to be broken until ‘Private Equity’ came up with FSU. NCAA football is going the way of pro sports almost…different than every other sport for a lot of different reasons (most of which I don’t fully understand). If a PE group had an opportunity to secure the TV rights of a perceived elite football team or if they could do some kind of debt deal, I could see someone coming to the table with an offer that the donks at FSU would take. I guess they’d have to get approval from all sorts of regulatory bodies, but it’s Florida and it’s Florida State football - they’d get approval with nobody else regulating any of this shit. That’s the reference to money flying around and being concerned about some school figuring their way out of the GOR. Don’t think it would come from a traditional source, but institutions can raise a lot of money if they need and want to and FSU/Clemson aren’t going to wait and find themselves in a desperate situation like a lot of other schools are in at the moment.

ETA: For example, look at what happened with Barstool Sports today. I know they’re not Fox or ESPN, but some group somewhere who wants to develop a foothold in this market and drive content no matter the cost might take a shot at it if they’re backed with the cash.

Last edited:
Still say, might as well be the true visionaries and go east in terms of a European division footprint.

Isn’t the issue with the GOR not only the potential payment to get out of it but also that the school isn’t that desirable to other conferences from a media vantage point since the ACC retains any media money - which theoretically is the impetus for wanting the school to start with?

Sure long term maybe it makes sense but if the SEC isn’t seeing any of that money for over a decade…

Still say, might as well be the true visionaries and go east in terms of a European division footprint.
I didn’t pay much attention when this came up pages ago, but it has merit. Trap a foothold early and maybe futbol broadcast rights overseas open a new revenue stream. Road game in Edinburgh .

Back