• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

7vmlkp.jpg

They would stand to lose money by joining the ACC. Not happening. They play footsy with the Big 10 and big 10 can’t bring them in. Move on

Wake alums pretending we have leverage. Dangerous times.

Like the PGA tour, don't know how to act as broke guy in the room. Better humble ourselves and do what we can to stay. Not pretend we are what we aren't.

As much as Donald is being doom and gloom, in a sense he’s right. While we have had decent TV numbers in the past couple of years— what’s stopping us from bumming out and they crash again? Even then, with Wake’s perception, we aren’t a big brand nationally speaking that any other conference desperately wants to add especially when we’re probably the fifth biggest brand in our own state. I get we’re on the up-and-up but it just feels like any hope that we’ll wind up not in the Sun Belt or the American is a little optimistic

They would stand to lose money by joining the ACC. Not happening. They play footsy with the Big 10 and big 10 can’t bring them in. Move on

Once it was learned that they had a full vote with half-assed ACC membership, that's just wrong....

As much as Donald is being doom and gloom, in a sense he’s right. While we have had decent TV numbers in the past couple of years— what’s stopping us from bumming out and they crash again? Even then, with Wake’s perception, we aren’t a big brand nationally speaking that any other conference desperately wants to add especially when we’re probably the fifth biggest brand in our own state. I get we’re on the up-and-up but it just feels like any hope that we’ll wind up not in the Sun Belt or the American is a little optimistic
In a sense yes but we are averaging middle of the pack viewership numbers with decent football results but nothing dominating and very shitty basketball years. If we can string together some great basketball with football for the next half decade, we very well may have a decent spot at the table.

Prior to Coach K, Duke wasn't a big brand nationally either. It just takes a couple special seasons. I just hope they don't come to late for us but I have this sense that the next couple years could be very special for Deacon fans in the revenue sports, especially basketball.

Honestly, we’re probably 6th in the state.

Make Stanford the charter member of the Magnolia League

We’ll join with Duke once GoR expires

Vanderbilt and Northwestern will join when the super leagues discard them

I know just the man to be the commish

Last edited:
Wake will end up in a second-tier conference and that'll be fine. There will be lots of good schools with high-level sports left in the cold when this all gets sorted out. In the meantime I'm really curious to see how far the Wake admin will go to help the ACC forestall the day of reckoning. They're saying all the right things now.

Make Stanford the charter member of the Magnolia League

We’ll join with Duke once GoR expires

Vanderbilt and Northwestern will join when the super leagues discard them

I know just the man to be the commish
Wake
BC
Vandy
Northwestern
Stanford
Rice
dook
Villanova
SMU
Tulane

No publics allowed. Georgetown - get a football team.

Wake will end up in a second-tier conference and that'll be fine. There will be lots of good schools with high-level sports left in the cold when this all gets sorted out. In the meantime I'm really curious to see how far the Wake admin will go to help the ACC forestall the day of reckoning. They're saying all the right things now.

Agree. Eventually the super conference, or whatever its called, doesn't need the South Carolinas and Minnesotas of the world. There are 15-30 teams that can and are willing to play at that level. If in 10-15 years we end up back in a league that has the most of Duke, UNC, NC State, GA Tech, UVA then I'll be fine. We can play regional games that matter and that will be "college sports." What UGA, OSU and that ilk play will be something different.

Agree. Eventually the super conference, or whatever its called, doesn't need the South Carolinas and Minnesotas of the world. There are 15-30 teams that can and are willing to play at that level. If in 10-15 years we end up back in a league that has the most of Duke, UNC, NC State, GA Tech, UVA then I'll be fine. We can play regional games that matter and that will be "college sports." What UGA, OSU and that ilk play will be something different.
And our league’s gonna have blackjack and hookers!

I see zero chance the SEC or Big 10 would want NC State. At absolute best they are 6th choice among ACC schools. And that is probably being kind. The schools they’d pursue would likely be Clemson, FSU, UNC, Miami and maybe UVa. So for them to torpedo expansion is baffling.
If you already have Florida or/and Florida State, Miami doesn’t really bring value to be on that list.

If you already have Florida or/and Florida State, Miami doesn’t really bring value to be on that list.
Miami ranks ahead of both UNC and NC State in terms of college football revenue (at least on the most current list I could find). And Gainesville and Tallahassee are a long drive away from Miami.

Back