• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Absent even revenue sharing of streaming/TV and other similar revenues there is zero chance Pro / Rel will happen in major D1 college football. There’s too much money at stake. Say you‘re Michigan State or Iowa. You’re one bad season away from setting back your program a decade or more with zero hope of getting the state legislature to invest in your athletic department top make up revenue shortfalls that result from being sent down. It impacts way more than just the football program.

This looks pretty promising:

The ACC should pursue a franchising business model in China and maybe Europe. The CUAFL could use the ACC brand and we’d give them a few coaches and a quarterback or two and also help set up their TV rights and distribution. Then we take like 60% of the revenue and distribute it to ACC schools. Think of how much money we’d get!! China has a like a billion people! I bet ND would fully join on then.

That link didn’t work for me.

The Maryland example

Falling fortunes in new leagues also can be costly at the box office. Last season, Maryland had the second-worst average announced attendance in the Big Ten (31,934) despite finishing 8-5, including 4-5 in the league. Of the top 33 biggest home crowds in Maryland history, only four have come since 2014, when the Terrapins moved to the Big Ten from the ACC.

It has never finished with a winning record in league play since then, marking a downfall from its heyday in the ACC, where it was a founding member and won the league title in 2001 under coach Ralph Friedgen. Of the top 33 home crowds at Maryland, 22 came during his tenure from 2001-2010, when his teams went 75-50.

“Sentimentally, I would have wanted to stay in the ACC, but financially I understand why they didn’t,” Friedgen told USA TODAY Sports.

So would the SEC do it to keep the b10 out of the south? Would they pass on FSU until they see if the rest of the ACC would fail? Seems like at the least, voting to add the 3 at limited shares increases the actual payout available for performance payout so other than trying to kill the ACC or get a reduced payout why vote no? But no one else should vote to let them out early no matter what, so it doesn't add anything.

If they choose to depart, either they owe the ACC a massive check or the ACC should simply refuse to have any of their home games in any sport on any media outlet.

move Maryland's campus to china and they can come back to the acc

That link didn’t work for me.

The Maryland example

Falling fortunes in new leagues also can be costly at the box office. Last season, Maryland had the second-worst average announced attendance in the Big Ten (31,934) despite finishing 8-5, including 4-5 in the league. Of the top 33 biggest home crowds in Maryland history, only four have come since 2014, when the Terrapins moved to the Big Ten from the ACC.

It has never finished with a winning record in league play since then, marking a downfall from its heyday in the ACC, where it was a founding member and won the league title in 2001 under coach Ralph Friedgen. Of the top 33 home crowds at Maryland, 22 came during his tenure from 2001-2010, when his teams went 75-50.

“Sentimentally, I would have wanted to stay in the ACC, but financially I understand why they didn’t,” Friedgen told USA TODAY Sports.
The last line of this post tells you all you need to know. Money drives almost everything in college sports. Just the way it is.

The last line of this post tells you all you need to know. Money drives almost everything in college sports. Just the way it is.

And always has been. Football should have been separated from other sports years ago.

Despite the Aug. 15 date passing, SI is still reporting FSU may announce its plans to leave the ACC by 2025 "in a matter of days or weeks." Probably just trolling for clicks, but if they do make such an announcement, what does voting looking like at that stage for the Stanford/Cal/SMU play?

From SI: https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg...tball-expansion-florida-state-acc-exit-rumors
How many votes do schools need to effectively terminate the GOR? is it only 6 or 8? If so I do wonder if FSU think they have the votes to be making this much noise or at least think the loud threat sways a couple on the fence to get out now before things start to fall apart after the pac12 debacle?

FWIW, the WF men's soccer team plays at Maryland in less than two weeks. Not sure, but this might be the first WF v. MD regularly scheduled game in any sport since the Terps bolted the ACC (NCAA tourney games like WF v. MD baseball aren't scheduled). WF has a home and home set with the Terps in football in the next few years.

Back