• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Reports have stated that neither FSU or Clemson has been vetted by the B1G, while at least 5 other ACC Schools have, so they may not fit into B1G's long terms expansion plans.

Guessing those 5 would be UVA, UNC, Ga Tech, Miami and one of NC State, Va Tech or Duke. I sure that the first 4 all hold more appeal to the Big10, then any of the last three. But not enough to make it pay.

I'm still pumped about this. Despite the numbers posted by RR above, public perception of late seemed to be that the Big XII was a better conference, or at least in a better spot, than the ACC. The Big XII isn't a good conference. The Big XII sucks. The only reason they seemed superior was because they assembled a bunch of C+/B- schools that neither the Big Ten nor SEC would ever want, and all its members seem to have enough self-awareness to realize that fact, whereas the ACC has a couple of higher-tier schools that are publicly bellyaching. This is a power play that adds stability, neuters the malcontents, and serves as a backstop if they ever do leave.

Do I hate that this is what the collegiate sports landscape has become? Yes. Do I wish we could go back to a 9-team ACC? In a heartbeat. But that's not the reality we live in, and that means this is a great move and a great day. Go Deacs.
I wouldn't say I'm pumped, but it's a sigh of relief that it was the PAC-12 that died and not the ACC. And it's good that we're adding the Dallas and SF Bay markets without giving out much $$ to the new schools - they were clearly desperate. And while Cal and Stanford will suck in football for the foreseeable future, Stanford has always been seriously good in non-revenue sports. And it means Rachel Heck and Megha Ganne will be getting together more regularly. But I wouldn't say the B-12 sucks. I thought they did quite well for themselves adding Zona, ASU, Utah and Colorado, especially with Coach Prime breathing life back into their football program. The SEC and Big-10 are clearly the dominant 2 conferences, and the ACC and B-12 are behind them as high majors but still well ahead of the mid-majors.

And Numbers, I don't know where FSU and Clemson go. There is a yuge buyout fee and no sitting offers from the SEC. The SEC already has the SC and FL tv markets. It doesn't need the Tallahassee and western SC markets. From everything I've read, the 1 ACC school the SEC might want to poach is UNC, which delivers the entire state of NC. So for now, FSU and Clemson can just suck it.

what I take away from this is that for Cal and Stanford, assuming money drove this decision, an invitation from the B1G wasn't coming, ever

otherwise, they just locked themselves into a long-term contract with unfavorable finances, relatively speaking, for the first 7 years

but hey, glad they're in and that the ACC remains #3
#3 in terms of TV revenue, but #1 in terms of NCAA championships in 2022-2023. And now the ACC adds the best college sports program in the country - Stanford has won the Learfield Director's Cup, awarded for the most successful college sports program, 26 of the 29 years the Cup has been in existence.

The more I think about it the more I'm in the camp of where are FSU and Clemson going exactly?

I do think the SEC MAY be inclined to take them but at the current juncture that's no guarantee. Neither is going to the Big 10 IMO and I don't see Florida/Georgia/South Carolina breaking from their stonewall against adding their traditional rivals to the conference.

For all the moaning FSU has done, I think Clemson has a better shot at an SEC invite than FSU if they were picking a "next team up" today.

They need to quit the bitchin', or just pay the GOR exit fee and head out to the AAC now.

That's where they'd be invited. No sec. No big20.

#3 in terms of TV revenue, but #1 in terms of NCAA championships in 2022-2023. And now the ACC adds the best college sports program in the country - Stanford has won the Learfield Director's Cup, awarded for the most successful college sports program, 26 of the 29 years the Cup has been in existence.
I'm excited to welcome ACC legend Katie Ledecky.

The ACC is the last buzzard to the carcass. Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Washington and Oregon were all better fixes to the one problem we have (football) than these three. We could have had any of those teams and yet we get a death penalty team, the only public school in the world that doesn't care about football and the Alabama of sports that don't make any money. We're the last ones to the lunch room on pizza day. Enjoy the gluten free veggie toast, everybody.

Selfishly I am happy. SMU is an easy trip for the occasional sporting event. My FIL played football for SMU and my MIL was a cheerleader there. Time to take them down in football like we did the Aggies. Just need to beat the Longhorns and the triple crown will be complete.

The ACC is the last buzzard to the carcass. Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Washington and Oregon were all better fixes to the one problem we have (football) than these three. We could have had any of those teams and yet we get a death penalty team, the only public school in the world that doesn't care about football and the Alabama of sports that don't make any money. We're the last ones to the lunch room on pizza day. Enjoy the gluten free veggie toast, everybody.
The ACC was never going to land either Oregon or Washington as the Big 10 could get them whenever the Big 10 wanted (which is what they did and both schools will get more money from the Big 10 than the ACC could offer). The Arizona schools and the mountain time zone schools are a far better geographic and rivalry fit for the Big 12; also, don't see how any of those schools "fix" whatever football problem you are referring to. Colorado was the worst Power V program in the country in recent years; Arizona State is about to go on probation; Arizona has been a non-factor in football for decades. Utah has a solid program, but they are in Utah; they add very little in the form of media rights.

As was posted by Rambling Red earlier, the Big 12 wanted Stanford and Cal (they wanted to be in the biggest state in the union), and both schools balked. They wanted to be in the ACC, and were willing to sacrifice financially to do so. Not sure why people ignore how good Stanford football has been over the last 15 years. Stanford football recruits nationally on the most elite levels in every region of the country. Unlike the rest of the ACC, Stanford routinely beats Notre Dame (like last year), Stanford also routinely beats USC, and Big 10 teams.... in the Rose Bowl (kind of a big game; that's not something that Colorado or Arizona or Arizona State, ever do).

Last edited:
So now the 4 major conferences can be described as:

Big 12- subpar academics, some championships

SEC- average academics, tons of championships

Big 10- very good academics, complete and utter failure at championships

ACC- elite academics, lots of championships

The ACC was never going to land either Oregon or Washington as the Big 10 could get them whenever the Big 10 wanted (which is what they did and both schools will get more money from the Big 10 than the ACC could offer). The Arizona schools and the mountain time zone schools are a far better geographic and rivalry fit for the Big 12; also, don't see how any of those schools "fix" whatever football problem you are referring to. Colorado was the worst Power V program in the country in recent years; Arizona State is about to go on probation; Arizona has been a non-factor in football for decades. Utah has a solid program, but they are in Utah; they add very little in the form of media rights.

As was posted by Rambling Red earlier, the Big 12 wanted Stanford and Cal (they wanted to be in the biggest state in the union), and both schools balked. They wanted to be in the ACC, and were willing to sacrifice financially to do so. Not sure why people ignore how good Stanford football has been over the last 15 years. Stanford football recruits nationally on the most elite levels in every region of the country. Unlike the rest of the ACC, Stanford routinely beats Notre Dame (like last year), Stanford also routinely beats USC, and Big 10 teams.... in the Rose Bowl (kind of a big game; that's not something that Colorado or Arizona or Arizona State, ever do).

Stanford and Cal suck right now and joining the ACC isn't going to make them any better.

Realistically wouldn’t this negatively impact Calford recruiting? It’d be a hard sell that you have to go across the entire country every other Saturday

Stanford has more major conference football championships over the last 20 years than Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah combined

Realistically wouldn’t this negatively impact Calford recruiting? It’d be a hard sell that you have to go across the entire country every other Saturday
Three or four Saturdays a season. 4 home games. 4 road games. 1 road game every other year will be each other.

Stanford and Cal suck right now and joining the ACC isn't going to make them any better.
Can tell it bums you out that the ACC didn't implode. Too bad for you that it did not happen.

So, now the best you can do is say that Cal and Stanford suck right now. So, what? They aren't even in the ACC yet. The ACC doesn't need Stanford to be good this year or next.

Florida sucks right now too, but like Florida, Stanford has proven that they can recruit and play on top 10 level. Troy Taylor was a good hire; Stanford could be elite again soon.

Back