• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

The choice is between a conference champion or a conference loser.

The "super-sizing" of college football will eventually dilute interest in the product. It's like if the live music business decided that the only survivors would be large arenas and sheds, so midsize and intimate places places that cater to both the ticket-buyers and artists would either fade into oblivion or say "me too" and expand into an overproduced and formulaic experience.

Agree with Down East. Bomani Jones has done a good job of making the point that college football is local. 95% of the teams know they have no shot of playing for a championship. But it really matters to fan bases if they beat their rivals, local teams, conference teams, etc. I care deeply about Wake v State every year, for example. If the sport as a whole isn’t as fun and is only NFL minor league, that won’t matter as much.

5jph7t.jpg

It's hilarious to think the President's of Michigan, Ohio State, UVA, USC etc. Are gonna sit back and let the Covid infected rube SEC morons control college football. The checker playing conference. Checkmate is coming.

The SEC sees the power on the field of play. The graduates of real schools see the power in the soft seated, humble fucks, that don't donate to Atheletics. They run our Alma Maters.

I was about to share that too. Key parts:

Setting aside the five split “reverse mirror” telecasts where two games were simultaneously sent to different portions of the country on ABC and the other game was available to each section on ESPN2, here is how the 193 single-game telecasts broke down…

• 58 games between either independents or teams from different conferences (including all five Army-Navy games played during that period)
  • 55 SEC-only games
  • 49 Big Ten-only games
  • 13 ACC-only games
  • 12 Big 12-only games
  • Five Pac-12-only games
  • One American Athletic Conference-only game (2017 South Florida at UCF)

Based on that logic, the goal for this alliance should be the following:
1. Change the CFP to conference champs only so tough noncon games aren't punished.
2. Starve the beast by depriving the SEC of Pac-12, Big Ten, and ACC opponents aside from rivalry games (FSU-UF, Clemson-SC, GT-UGA, and maybe Miami-UF)
3. Schedule at least 4 potential "Four Million Dollar" noncon games for each conference, 6 total (2 ACC/Big Ten, 2 ACC/Pac-12, 2 Pac-12/Big Ten).

I was about to share that too. Key parts:

Based on that logic, the goal for this alliance should be the following:
1. Change the CFP to conference champs only so tough noncon games aren't punished.
2. Starve the beast by depriving the SEC of Pac-12, Big Ten, and ACC opponents aside from rivalry games (FSU-UF, Clemson-SC, GT-UGA, and maybe Miami-UF)
3. Schedule at least 4 potential "Four Million Dollar" noncon games for each conference, 6 total (2 ACC/Big Ten, 2 ACC/Pac-12, 2 Pac-12/Big Ten).
Excellent. The people that use data. Fuck the rest. We are talking about a conference populated by anti vaccine dumb fucks. If they win, the whole fucking country is doomed.

The Athletic article talks about the 4 million (plus) VIEWER games. Of the 193 such games in their list, almost half included at least one of Ohio State, Michigan and Alabama. The SEC had the most, and will be adding more with TX and OK. B1G wants to keep up.

We have lots of time. Two thirds of the SEC will be in Covid jail this fall. They won't have a season. Teams going there should cancel right now.

FWIW, the SEC cheats in every imaginable aspect. They will cheat when it comes to testing this season. If Dan Mullen thinks he's about to lose a game to a COVID forfeit, there is zero chance his roster is going to have a full round of accurate tests. You can substitute Mullen's name for essentially every coach in the SEC, except for possibly Clark Lea. As long as a player doesn't die on the field from COVID, which is a risk that SEC schools and their fanbase are willing to take, no high profile SEC teams are going to lose games due to COVID absences/forfeits.

If I'm cipherin' correctly, partnering with the PAC 12 and Big 10 for 3 games per season, and assuming you'd play each of those 26 teams once home/away before starting the rotation again, we'd get Ohio State, Michigan, SoCal, etc. in W-S once every 17 years; same for us to go to places like the Horse Shoe, Big House and Rose Bowl. And that's assuming the alliance would not hook up teams like Clemson/Ohio State much more frequently than that, which means we may only see some of the marquee teams at our place once every 25 years or so.
But I don't see scheduling like the above with an equal rotation among all teams; in fact, I could envision the t.v. power$ reserving the right to "help" the conferences set nonconference games forr the upcoming season as late as February or March.
Get ready for a steady helping of Wake/Northwestern games.

Last edited:
WF most frequent Pac 12 opponents:

Washington State
Oregon State
Arizona

Big 10 opponents:

Rutgers
Minnesota
Purdue
Yes, Northwestern (who WF has oddly kind of owned, even when we weren't very good; I had heard that WF wanted to continue to play NW, and they didn't want to continue the series).

Even so, I like it.

I agree, DownEast. And that's fine with me. It would be a three-way version of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Clemson would play Ohio State, Michigan, maybe Oregon and Wisconsin. I'd be more than happy with some Wake/Northwestern games. Bring back Wake/Stanford. Aloha Bowl matchup against Arizona State. The challenge would be if such an alliance could set up games from one season to the next with 9 months lead time.

I agree, DownEast. And that's fine with me. It would be a three-way version of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Clemson would play Ohio State, Michigan, maybe Oregon and Wisconsin. I'd be more than happy with some Wake/Northwestern games. Bring back Wake/Stanford. Aloha Bowl matchup against Arizona State. The challenge would be if such an alliance could set up games from one season to the next with 9 months lead time.

I'd think so, particularly if w/o knowing your opponent you'd at least be aware if it will be a home or away contest. But it will probably be based on what's best for the t.v. boys. If that means in 2022 locking in Ohio State/Clemson for 2024 and 2025, or waiting until January of 2024 to pick the best matchup's for the current season based on more recent results and projections, they'll make it work in their best interest.

I could see scheduling an alliance game in a way that is similar to the way the ACC-B1G challenge is schduled: "this week, (e. g. the third weekend in September), is reserved for an alliance (home/away) game. Specific opponent to be named in August."

Back