• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Crashed a tailgate this weekend hosted by a friend of a friend who claims to be donating the big bucks to Tigers athletics. The location and amenities of his tailgate made that seem possible. Of course he brings up Clemson leaving the ACC, claiming on good authority it would be announced before Oct 25. Chatting with him later, I start with asking where Clemson is going to go and what value Clemson brings to B1G or SEC. He admits SEC doesn't really need them, but would take them to prevent the B1G from taking them. And the B1G would want them to expand into the south and challenge the SEC. I then tried to focus on the monetary value part, why would either conference dilute the per school payout to get them or would Clemson take a reduced share like other newcomers. That's when he stopped answering the question and stuck to bragging about how much prestige Clemson brings and how much better they'll be when they can start paying athletes more. I reminded him TV money can't go to players and I think he'd had enough of me.
Very similar to my Clemson discussions. The we need more money. Ok what are you going to do with it? Build more facilities? Already the best no? Pay DaBo $20 million a year? Pay the AD $20, corrupt the entire school? the money is not going to scholarships. You can’t pay the players, Oh but - this is no joke what I was told by an in the know person. We make the program bigger so we can spend more money and the corporations that we do business with they pay the players.

so fucking stupid, Clemson can’t escape it’s redneck past, the ACC powers hate us schtict is so old, you cheated for decades and got caught. Dabo Has changed the culture but can’t outrun the stupid.

Clemson going to the SEC would turn them into South Carolina, a middling program. BIG great let’s see Clemson Iowa, Clemson Illinois Clemson wiscy NW. Geez.

Last edited:
The Big 12 has publicly said they are trying to be the best bball conference. It may not bring football money but it still brings money.

Very similar to my Clemson discussions. The we need more money. Ok what are you going to do with it? Build more facilities? Already the best no? Pay DaBo $20 million a year? Pay the AD $20, corrupt the entire school? the money is not going to scholarships. You can’t pay the p,Ayer’s. Oh bit …l and this is no joke what I was told by an in the know person. We make the program bigger so we can spend more money and the corporations that we do business with they pay the players.

so fucking stupid, Clemson can’t escape it’s redneck past, the ACC powers hate us schtict is so old, you cheated for decades and got caught. Dabo Has changed the culture but can’t outrun the stupid.

Clemson going to the SEC would turn them into South Carolina, a middling program. BIG great let’s see Clemson Iowa, Clemson Illinois Clemson wiscy NW. Geez.

Clemson fancies itself as an Alabama/UGA/Ohio St type program now so they are worried (and rightfully so) about the increasing revenue gap and continuing to lose ground on these programs.

But their biggest setback was NIL - Now it's legal to funnel money to players which Clemson worked very successfully under the radar over the past 10+ years and landed them boatloads of talent.

NIL, and Clemson's refusal to understand that you can supplement your roster through the portal. Shocker that Dabo is slow to evolve.

Clemson fancies itself as an Alabama/UGA/Ohio St type program now so they are worried (and rightfully so) about the increasing revenue gap and continuing to lose ground on these programs.

But their biggest setback was NIL - Now it's legal to funnel money to players which Clemson worked very successfully under the radar over the past 10+ years and landed them boatloads of talent.

10+ ?

More like 50+

Good point, biff.

Have a great story about Danny Ford dropping off cash in a duffel bag to Tony Rice's house

Tulane if you're trying to create the magnolia league, but I'd rather be one of the few privates playing big ball. Much better to add USF and keep space in FL (and figure out a way to kill the 12 and get UCF).

But why would you elevate Tulane? Let it die and let their players come here.

ECU would be fun regionally but same point. Are they a back up to UNC if UNC goes somewhere?

I don't understand hesitating on OSU and WSU. Just go ahead and do it.
Who, us or the Mountain West? We don't need the Corvalis and Pullman/Moscow markets. They're both up and down in football (up this season) but historically terrible in hoops. USF and UCF are more attractive. Hell, so is Tulane.

And deacdixie is right about the B12. They currently are the best hoops conference in the country and want to remain tops, so Gonzaga makes sense as a partial member.

Back