• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

This might be best thing to happen for ACC and Wake’s interests - $500 mm is enough to likely keep UNC, Clemson, UVA happy. I could care less if Miami leaves
Not when SCAR is bringing in 50 million a year than Clemson over from the SEC ESPN contract.

How much more $$$ would FSU make in the Big 12 compared to the ACC? Seems pretty clear it's a massive uphill battle for FSU to get into the SEC. While there may be further consolidation towards the big two conferences at some point, I don't know that the Big 10 is interested in further slicing the revenue pie and adding a member wanting a full share of the money. The teams they added recently took large concessions to get out of the sinking ship that was the Pac 12 and that's why the Big 10 let them in to start with

I mean I get that FSU has this grand theory that on the open market they're worth way more than their current piece of the money, but do we have any real evidence that this is the case?

Furthermore, while I know it's all about the money, the ACC gets an automatic bid into the playoffs starting next year. Why go to the Big 12 if you're FSU when you can stay in the ACC and win it for the playoff bid?

Crazy world in which we live. There are millions of dollars paid to fired coaches to not coach. FSU is needing just half a billion to leave the conference. Meanwhile, I'm upset that McDonald's two burrito combo has moved into the $7.50 range.

How much more $$$ would FSU make in the Big 12 compared to the ACC? Seems pretty clear it's a massive uphill battle for FSU to get into the SEC. While there may be further consolidation towards the big two conferences at some point, I don't know that the Big 10 is interested in further slicing the revenue pie and adding a member wanting a full share of the money. The teams they added recently took large concessions to get out of the sinking ship that was the Pac 12 and that's why the Big 10 let them in to start with

I mean I get that FSU has this grand theory that on the open market they're worth way more than their current piece of the piece, but do we have any real evidence that this is the cases?

Furthermore, while I know it's all about the money, the ACC gets an automatic bid into the playoffs starting next year. Why go to the Big 12 if you're FSU when you can stay in the ACC and win it for the playoff bid?
I believe the Big 12 actually makes less money. They also have a shorter GOR/TV contract and the next contracts are going to be smaller.

What sucks for FSU is they are subject so sunshine law so unlike all the other schools, they have to do all this in public. Another reason not to be the sacrificial lamb.

No, that was the 2018 season, hence the "last 5 years" comment, but whatever - that was they year they lucked into a dream schedule. Put another way they have 2 playoff appearances in their history and one was the single year they were ACC members.
Yes, so in the last six years of the CFP, Notre Dame has made it twice. In both seasons they lost to Clemson - once in the ACCCG, which they overcame, and once in the playoff by a lopsided margin.

If 2018-19 Notre Dame plays Clemson in the regular season as a ACC team, they get exposed, and they don’t make the playoff.

At no point during Clemson’s peak run (which has subsided) was Notre Dame a better football team than Clemson. Meaning they would have had to get lucky to be the second team in from the ACC. I don’t think that would have happened.

I think Notre Dame’s academic selectivity in recruiting, relative to Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, etc., has been a bigger detriment to their football fortunes than not being a member of a conference.

why do they need all that SEC/Big 10 money? They are a government entity, they should make themselves more efficient and just do more with less.

I like this. Cut their scholarships to 75 and pass the savings on to the taxpayers.

We inch one step closer to a sovereign wealth fund buying up FSU athletics.

I wonder if Seminole Nation could throw some of that new Hard Rock Bet money over to FSU.

9hM7.gif

Back