• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Just felt the need to say that I understand why UNC is the biggest brand in the ACC, but yet again their attendance suggests otherwise. Mack Brown even got asked about it extensively in the postgame and questions about UNC attendance are all over social media. I’m 100% sure that we brought more fans to the Belk Bowl than they did last night (and their attendance in the same stadium against UofSC earlier this year was also crap).
this is where the argument about Bowl games are special for the fans falls apart for me. the destinations in general are just not special...

They played there two years ago, they also played there to start the season (in a game that actually mattered, and had pretty decent attendance - not as many fans as South Carolina, but still decent). It really made little sense for the ACC to send them there for the 3rd time in 2 calendar years, but FSU's omission from the CFP threw everything for a loop.

15-20 years ago, this location easily sold out UVA/West Virginia, UNC/West Virginia, and UNC/BC matchups, and last night they barely had a need to open the upper level. Bowl games are slowly dying on the vine (attendance wise), but ESPN needs the programming and the bowl execs sure don't want to lose their golden goose, but they've got to find a way to incentivize the players currently opting out to play in the future.

They played there two years ago, they also played there to start the season (in a game that actually mattered, and had pretty decent attendance - not as many fans as South Carolina, but still decent). It really made little sense for the ACC to send them there for the 3rd time in 2 calendar years, but FSU's omission from the CFP threw everything for a loop.

15-20 years ago, this location easily sold out UVA/West Virginia, UNC/West Virginia, and UNC/BC matchups, and last night they barely had a need to open the upper level. Bowl games are slowly dying on the vine (attendance wise), but ESPN needs the programming and the bowl execs sure don't want to lose their golden goose, but they've got to find a way to incentivize the players currently opting out to play in the future.
I would argue that the precise reason they got sent there was in the hopes of better attendance since it’s in Charlotte. I’m of the mindset an interesting location for a bowl game (as long as relatively accessible) matters far less than opponent. They were playing a new, interesting opponent and no one showed. Don’t forget that their attendance for the ACC Championship game was also pretty poor considering the location.

I would argue that the precise reason they got sent there was in the hopes of better attendance since it’s in Charlotte. I’m of the mindset an interesting location for a bowl game (as long as relatively accessible) matters far less than opponent. They were playing a new, interesting opponent and no one showed. Don’t forget that their attendance for the ACC Championship game was also pretty poor considering the location.
It’s unfair to expect a fair weather fan base to show up to a bowl game when the weather isn’t great. Now if the performance impacted their coveted preseason ranking on the other hand…

This one didn’t have to be special. It was just down the road.
Even if local, many bowl games are played in NFL stadia. That makes them special to the college teams. For most of the players, the bowl games will be their only opportunities to dress in NFL locker rooms and play on NFL fields.

The NFL has been the dream for the players since they started playing football. For most, a bowl game in an NFL stadium is as close as they will get.

does UNC get any good attendance for football games after basketball season has started?

Maybe a night game against NC State but that's about it

That advantage wouldn’t last long though. Donations and attendance would drop significantly, while conference money would also fall drastically. We’d even out soon and again be at a disadvantage because of academic requirements.
The only counter to that is, we’ve kinda sucked forever, and at least in my experience our “ core” fan base has pretty much been the same 15k or so folks that I’ve been seeing in the stands, tailgate lots and concourses for years regardless of record; adjusting obviously over the decades as folks age out. If we end up out of the NIL race to mutual annihilation of the sport. and instead average but long term fans like me can still see our $$ helps support players in all sports get a free or subsidized education while enjoying elite facilities, we may still be able to find our niche. But your overall observation is correct; our support from the highest level (not to mention t.v. $$) would take a massive hit.

I’m not as concerned about future conference affiliation as I am about our athletics department adjusting to a much much smaller budget. In the likely scenario where we lose major conference affiliation, we likely also lose 30+ million dollars a year in revenue. We would likely have to cut a number of our sports programs.

You thinking scholarships or operating budget? If you look closely at deacon club mailings, you'll see we've been slowly endowing scholarships in Olympic sports for a decade. We're also running at a minimum number of sports, most of which are highly competitive, and have resisted regular calls to offer new sports. The Olympic sports are also relatively small parts of our annual operating budget.

Probably just as likely is Title IX being overturned and colleges doing some unexpected things with sports they offer.

It’s borderline Elrod stuff.

Pull in Oregon and Washington-who took half shares from the big 10-a deal the ACC could have beat-and the trajectory of this discussion completely changes. Probably the one pitch he could have hit and he watched it drift by.
True?

You thinking scholarships or operating budget? If you look closely at deacon club mailings, you'll see we've been slowly endowing scholarships in Olympic sports for a decade. We're also running at a minimum number of sports, most of which are highly competitive, and have resisted regular calls to offer new sports. The Olympic sports are also relatively small parts of our annual operating budget.

Probably just as likely is Title IX being overturned and colleges doing some unexpected things with sports they offer.
I honestly didn’t believe that Division 1 Football schools could adhere to title 9 with the minimum number of sports programs, so that’s my misunderstanding. I just can’t envision how Wake could operate an athletics program of our scale on probably 1/4 of the current budget.

Just felt the need to say that I understand why UNC is the biggest brand in the ACC, but yet again their attendance suggests otherwise. Mack Brown even got asked about it extensively in the postgame and questions about UNC attendance are all over social media. I’m 100% sure that we brought more fans to the Belk Bowl than they did last night (and their attendance in the same stadium against UofSC earlier this year was also crap).
I see people wearing Carolina gear at least once a week in Providence or Boston. Their brand is huge, regardless of attendance.

I don't see Title IX being overturned. If anything, I could see it going the other way. Compliance with Title IX has been a "best effort" to create equal opportunity. I could see some judge forcing strict compliance. That is, if 52% of the student body is women, then 52% of athletic scholarship opportunities and dollars have to be allocated to women. That is difficult to achieve with 85 football scholarships.

Wake already runs a very lean athletics program. I’d imagine we will be able to budget appropriately

I think it's time for a taxpayer revolt on the publics at funding time. These schools are owned by the state. You get an $80 million tv contract. We cut funding by say $50 million. Why should the taxpayer not get a break. Taxpayers own the brand.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I think it's time for a taxpayer revolt on the publics at funding time. These schools are owned by the state. You get an $80 million tv contract. We cut funding by say $50 million. Why should the taxpayer not get a break. Taxpayers own the brand.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Mack I love you but what do you think has been happening at state legislatures over the last 30 years

Back