• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

How does some dope writing for football scoop dot net mean there is any kind of “sign” for us
You did not read the article. It’s a ranking of schools done by a strategist who I’ve actually heard of. These are the kind of people that conference leadership is talking to.

For some time I've felt that our only hope of surviving a breakaway of "big boy" football schools is if the number settles in the 70 range; much below that we'd probably get left out.

For some time I've felt that our only hope of surviving a breakaway of "big boy" football schools is if the number settles in the 70 range; much below that we'd probably get left out.

We will be left out. Time to just accept that. There’s no scenario where things change that Wake Forest is at the table.

Oh cool a strategist. Almost as reliably correct as a consultant

Including variables such as "fan support" and then providing results out to a digit past the decimal point is a way of giving the appearance of accuracy and rigor that can't be there. In the summary he doesn't provide any discussion of how he handles uncertainty in his numbers.

If I remember correctly, ACC Network viewership is not captured by standard TV metrics. Is that accounted for?

Also, he includes USN&WR rank as a factor. Their methodology changed significantly recently and moved some schools a lot.

We will be left out. Time to just accept that. There’s no scenario where things change that Wake Forest is at the table.
I generally agree with this, but I don’t think this is quite this case if our basketball program was up. Being able to say we offer a top notch and traditional bball program with a top tier baseball program becomes much more enticing

Unfortunately basketballs downturn leaves us little to offer

I generally agree with this, but I don’t think this is quite this case if our basketball program was up. Being able to say we offer a top notch and traditional bball program with a top tier baseball program becomes much more enticing

Unfortunately basketballs downturn leaves us little to offer

Which of the two conferences is interested in uconn? The clear best basketball program right now in the NY market?

Which of the two conferences is interested in uconn? The clear best basketball program right now in the NY market?
The Big XII was going to before the PAC 12 fell apart.

I think there is a lot of benefit to Yormarks strategy of shifting to being the best basketball conference. Between the tournament money and international basketball fandom, I think there is a reasonable route there for football light conferences to still get their money

That being said I think Chip Kelly has/had it right. It’s too late now, but NCAA football should have created their own super league/season and left schools/conferences in place for everything else. Football and the schools could still make their money, rivalries and geographical conferences stay in place. Oh well

We'll still be in the ACC when realignment shakes out. Albeit a much different ACC that will likely be a Group of 5 level conference. I think the SEC and Big 10 plan is to do what they can to relegate the ACC and Big 12 to the Group of 5 so they can control 12-14 slots in a 16 team playoff. They've obviously already killed off the Pac 12. The ACC and Big 12 are next.

We'll still be in the ACC when realignment shakes out. Albeit a much different ACC that will likely be a Group of 5 level conference. I think the SEC and Big 10 plan is to do what they can to relegate the ACC and Big 12 to the Group of 5 so they can control 12-14 slots in a 16 team playoff. They've obviously already killed off the Pac 12. The ACC and Big 12 are next.

TITCR. Then I can’t see them accepting not having 100% control of all the postseason eventually. They will take their ball and go play with themselves and most every other college will have their own domain.

TITCR. Then I can’t see them accepting not having 100% control of all the postseason eventually. They will take their ball and go play with themselves and most every other college will have their own domain.
Maybe long term, but I think they have to keep up the appearance of letting everyone have a spot at the table or risk losing interest from large swaths of the country. I'm a huge college football fan but my interest is waning with NIL, the portal-john, and realignment. I can't say I'd have more than a passing casual interest in an annual Big 10 - SEC playoff.

Maybe long term, but I think they have to keep up the appearance of letting everyone have a spot at the table or risk losing interest from large swaths of the country. I'm a huge college football fan but my interest is waning with NIL, the portal-john, and realignment. I can't say I'd have more than a passing casual interest in an annual Big 10 - SEC playoff.

0 interest in their cfp slobberfest.

Why?

Next year, that would make the ACC/Big 12 a thirty team conference... Seems like a lot. Perhaps, the conference tournament would be played in an AAU like format:

Reno_Adjusted_5.jpg

IIRC, the ACC gets more CFP money than the Big 12, and the ACC gets more from its media contract; the ACC has its own network; what does the ACC get by merging with or affliating with the Big 12.

Not asking to adversarial, just curious what the ACC gets by an affliation with Texas Tech, Baylor, UCF and Cincy and the rest of the programs that neither the Big 10 nor the SEC wanted.
Simple survival. A couple million more right now compared to multi-millions less in the long run doesn’t work out imo.

Plenty of folks (myself included) will agree with you. However gambling will insure there’s a huge audience, and most importantly in all of this they won’t have to share at all. The idea of sharing is antithetical to any of this movement.

So how can the ACC get ahead with gambling? Why not sell out all the way?

Back