• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Staying in the Big East is likely better for basketball recruiting from UConn's POV. It is still primarily a northeastern conference and NYC metro area along with Philly and DC areas will always be a hotbed.
Is conference affiliation a thing in recruiting anymore?

Maybe Philly kids don’t want to play in Blacksburg and Clemson?

Maybe Philly kids don’t want to play in Blacksburg and Clemson?
I’m sure they don’t. But the productive players on almost all rosters aren’t being recruited out of HS. I’m sure the perspective of a transfer is very different.

I’m sure they don’t. But the productive players on almost all rosters aren’t being recruited out of HS. I’m sure the perspective of a transfer is very different.

Transfers may be more motivated to return home or play closer to home.

Transfers may be more motivated to return home or play closer to home.
It’s certainly possible. I just think eventually it’s all money. The biggest recruiting advantage is revenue. If the ACC offers more money than the Be, then it makes sense.

Staying in the Big East is likely better for basketball recruiting from UConn's POV. It is still primarily a northeastern conference and NYC metro area along with Philly and DC areas will always be a hotbed.
Omaha, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indy, Cincinnati is half the conference ex-UCONN.
But fair: Providence, NYC, NJ, Philly, DC.

In the ACC, BC, Cuse, Pitt is basically it for old rivals. They shared a conference with Miami, VT, Lville and ND as well, but there’s no natural connection there.

It’s closer than you’d think and my gut says they’d jump at the chance to upgrade their football situation and get to play against old rivals Cuse/Pitt, kick BC’s ass on the regular, and take their shot at Duke/UNC annually.

Is it possible that the ACC could fall apart before June 30, 2024? This guy says it's possible and he explains why and how it could happen.

I'm skeptical, but I also never anticipated that TX/OK and USC/UCLA would bolt from their conferences and that the PAC12 would completely fall apart.

Is it possible that the ACC could fall apart before June 30, 2024? This guy says it's possible and he explains why and how it could happen.

I'm skeptical, but I also never anticipated that TX/OK and USC/UCLA would bolt from their conferences and that the PAC12 would completely fall apart.

Never heard of this guy. Conference realignment is all about saying something different and inflammatory for clicks.

Never heard of this guy. Conference realignment is all about saying something different and inflammatory for clicks.
I never heard of him either, but that doesn’t mean it could not happen. It doesn’t seem likely but it’s a plausible scenario.

It also explains the desperation that the ACC showed by taking Stanford, Cal and SMU.

Anything could happen this summer. The inflammatory nonsense works because of the real nonsense. I’ll never forget after the first game in South Bend getting on the Wake bus to Chicago and finding out Maryland was bolting for the Big Ten. That was a complete shock to the system and everything else seems like a “well of course it happened” gut punch.

All these guys do is throw endless amounts of shit at a wall and pretend they’re some genius when they are right. Blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Agree with the "anything could happen" sentiment except:

The 2024-5 college athletic season will go forward as presently scheduled. Schedules are set (or more accurately, have been set by each conference's TV 'partner' and revenue distribution has been agreed upon). No one is fucking with that.

The big deadline is August 15, 2024.

Even FSU agrees that the ACC Constitution requires a member school to give written notice to the conference and the fellow member schools by that date to withdraw for the next (2025-6) academic year. So, if FSU or Clemson or any other school wants this upcoming academic year to be their last in the ACC, they have 4 months to withdraw. Unless FSU or Clemson win their cases with a motion (before discovery and trial), which is unlikely, they won't know the financial penalty owed to the ACC if they withdraw by that date. If they don't give notice by August 15, they will remain in the ACC for the next two years.

Beyond that deadline, agree anything could happen, and most of the possibilities are not great for WF.

Last edited:
Once again the ACC kicked ass in the NCAAT and obviously #5 seed Wake and #4 seed Pitt deserved bids.

Isn't there a greater payout to the ACC schools for their NCAAT success?

Couldn't hurt, right??

Once again the ACC kicked ass in the NCAAT and obviously #5 seed Wake and #4 seed Pitt deserved bids.

Isn't there a greater payout to the ACC schools for their NCAAT success?

Couldn't hurt, right??
Yes there is. This is why I think some collusion against ACC bball is occurring. I read an article several years ago (that of course I can’t find now) that actually said the ACC cuts into the Big 10 and SEC pretty substantially monetarily just from the NCAAT success.

Last edited:
I don't know if the Wake admin starting with Hatch realized that for a lot of students, the only thing separating Wake from all of the other pretty good southern liberal arts schools was playing in the ACC

With Wake getting pounded in college rankings, dropping down to a non-P5 level conference really distorts what Wake Forest is and why a lot of alums went there

I don't know if the Wake admin starting with Hatch realized that for a lot of students, the only thing separating Wake from all of the other pretty good southern liberal arts schools was playing in the ACC

With Wake getting pounded in college rankings, dropping down to a non-P5 level conference really distorts what Wake Forest is and why a lot of alums went there
It is 100% the reason I went to Wake.

the NCAA gives money to conferences based on number of games each conference's teams appear in.

so the ACC will earn payouts for 17 or 18 games, depending on whether NC State beats Purdue.

other conferences:
SEC 16 or 17
B1G 15 or 16
Big XII 15
Big East 11 or 12
MWC 10
PAC 10

The unit counts end as of the Final Four, so NC State would not earn another unit for winning Saturday. The ACC is locked in at 17 units for this year, as are all other conferences.

Back