• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

If not from TV where does the $$$$$ come from?
It's not TV market size per se, it's national TV ratings. TV ratings for college football games in the NY area are modest compared to, say, Birmingham AL, but the NY market is so big that there are still lots of people in NY watching college football. Meanwhile, even though Birmingham is relatively small, almost everyone is watching college football, esp. Bama, Auburn and GA. Atlanta is both large and has many viewers. It all adds up and the conferences with the most viewers get the most money.

not when you are talking about getting a tv deal for one school
No school other than ND has big enough national appeal to get its own national TV deal.

AL, TheOSU, GA, TX—all of them know they are better off in their P2 conferences than in any individual TV deal.

No school other than ND has big enough national appeal to get its own national TV deal.

AL, TheOSU, GA, TX—all of them know they are better off in their P2 conferences than in any individual TV deal.
Depends on what you mean by “national.” Army had its own deal with CBSSN.

not when you are talking about getting a tv deal for one school
Where UMass is and how many alum it has doesn’t matter if no one is tuning in. Every one in the country now gets things like ACCN, B10 Network, and SECN. They used to be trying to get picked up in new markets. They aren’t anymore.

The Patriot League has a basketball deal with CBSSN. Wazzu and Oregon State just inked at TV deal with CW for 2024 football games. There is a need for programming; so, in the unlikely event WF went independent, WF would get a TV deal. It would suck though.

There aren't many schools that can thrive as an independent, and WF is not one of them. Would guess that for years; one of the strongest tools that WF uses in recruiting for all sports is that its a member of the ACC. Just don't think playing Chicago State multiple times in basketball (the only current D-1 basketball independent) would help WF's brand.

TV markets were important when BTN and SECN were trying to get cable companies to add those channels to their regional cable packages. We're post-regional cable now. Wake wouldn't be judged by the size of the Winston-Salem market, but the size of the national fanbase.

Kennon birdies #9 to tie Brennan at +2. Good for him that he bounced back. The BYU guy parred; so, now it's down to Brennan and BYU's #1.

Might just be me but I'd rather stick with whatever the ACC looks like well before joining the Big 10. I'd rather play the regional schools we backfill with than (assuming UNC, State stay) have to fake excitement for the conference matchups against Indiana and Rutgers.
I agree with you IF UNC and State stay. As I’ve said before, if we stay with UNC, Duke, State, UVA, and VT then I don’t care much about what the rest of the conference looks like.

Might just be me but I'd rather stick with whatever the ACC looks like well before joining the Big 10. I'd rather play the regional schools we backfill with than (assuming UNC, State stay) have to fake excitement for the conference matchups against Indiana and Rutgers.
It would be great if UNC, State (and Duke) would commit to sticking with the ACC.

But we now live in a post-PAC-12 apocalypse world. Now if top football programs like Clemson and FSU manage to leave the ACC and be accepted into the Power 2, then there would be panic among the remaining schools. The ones that could get accepted into the P2 would probably bolt and other schools might bolt for the B12 in fear of the ACC collapsing. It all depends on whether the GOR and exit fees stand up in court.

A UNC trustee has already hinted that leaving the ACC is a possibility.

As I have noted before, AD Currie has made a commitment to having Wake compete at "the highest level of intercollegiate athletics"? Does "highest level" mean P2, P4 or just FBS?

At Wake Forest, we are uncompromised on our commitment to compete at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics while delivering a World Class Student-Athlete Experience. With our 2.7 million Demon Deacons fans ranking as the fastest growing fanbase in America since 2019, 10 NCAA championships, elite athletics facilities, and a dynamic home city in the heart of North Carolina, we will continue to deliver value to the ACC.

Last edited:
It would be great if UNC, State (and Duke) would commit to sticking with the ACC.

But we now live in a post-PAC-12 apocalypse world. Now if top football programs like Clemson and FSU manage to leave the ACC and be accepted into the Power 2, then there would be panic among the remaining schools. The ones that could get accepted into the P2 would probably bolt and other schools might bolt for the B12 in fear of the ACC collapsing. It all depends on whether the GOR and exit fees stand up in court.

A UNC trustee has already hinted that leaving the ACC is a possibility.

As I have noted before, AD Currie has made a commitment to having Wake compete at "the highest level of intercollegiate athletics"? Does "highest level" mean P2, P4 or just FBS?

At Wake Forest, we are uncompromised on our commitment to compete at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics while delivering a World Class Student-Athlete Experience. With our 2.7 million Demon Deacons fans ranking as the fastest growing fanbase in America since 2019, 10 NCAA championships, elite athletics facilities, and a dynamic home city in the heart of North Carolina, we will continue to deliver value to the ACC.
The NC schools’ relationship with the ACC is unlike anything in any other conference. I don’t think any want to leave. I don’t really care what one UNC trustee says. There will always be some rich moron spouting his mouth.

Careful what the holes wish for.... Piscataway? Really??

The NC schools’ relationship with the ACC is unlike anything in any other conference. I don’t think any want to leave...
They may not want to leave, but they may have to leave in order to close the current $17M deficit in their current athletic budget and to procure the $20M+ in new funds that they will need to fund revenue sharing.

...In some regards, the ACC is like this resort’s lavish façade itself: a projection of perfection, a shining example of a collegiate conference of old. It is a collection of mostly high-academic institutions with broad-based, successful athletic programs led by a commissioner who exudes confidence, a man carrying the banner of purity and decency in a money-hungry, dollar-chasing industry quickly evolving into a semi-professional business.

But within this oceanside luxury resort, among its carpeted hallways, inside its spacious convention space and around its marbled lobby bar, there exists grime. There is unsaid animosity here, uncomfortable squirming and awkward moments. There are eye-rolls, glares and even the occasional public barb.

Despite the jovial and optimistic nature of its leader, commissioner Jim Phillips, and regardless of its Olympic sports trophies and lofty graduate rates, the ACC is a fractured family — one growing more fragmented with each passing day.

Two of its most unruly children, Florida State and Clemson, are causing disruption as they work to leave the family behind. A half-dozen of their siblings wish they had the resources and wherewithal to join them. And another group, clinging to their morals and missions, are content, nestled quietly in their beds, avoiding trouble at all costs, an angry fist raised toward their misbehaving brethren.

Dad is trying his best to hold intact the group, steer the ship into smooth waters, salvage his family and protect it from the same affliction suffered by their cross-country neighbor: the Pac-12.

Back at one of their campuses, trouble brews. A third child grows restless...

..Every new change within college athletics exacerbates the revenue gap between the SEC and Big Ten and everyone else.

Take for instance, the new CFP distribution model, where the SEC and Big Ten each get about 29% of the annual distribution. The ACC and Big 12 will receive around 17% and 15%. Or how about the new television contracts, where the SEC and Big Ten schools will soon earn in excess of $70 million annually with the ACC at least $20 million behind.

“With the CFP numbers, we’re now talking about being $40 million behind every year,” said Florida State athletic director Michael Alford.

The latest, impending change in college sports is the biggest in perhaps its more than 100 year history: a costly new model permitting direct revenue sharing with athletes as part of a settlement of three consolidated antitrust cases.

One ACC school is budgeting to spend an additional $30 million annually in a combination of revenue sharing for current athletes, back damages to former athletes and an expansion of scholarships. Phillips described the impending settlement as a “seismic shift” in the industry and a decision that should be made jointly among the power conferences and NCAA, with each individual board expected to potentially authorize the adoption of the settlement next week.

For the ACC, the new model’s stiff tab is made more difficult to swallow when the competition is generating millions more...

They may not want to leave, but they may have to leave in order to close the current $17M deficit in their current athletic budget and to procure the $20M+ in new funds that they will need to fund revenue sharing.

I just will never buy that it will take more than $50 mil to run a successful program at a school like Clemson. They won’t “have” to leave. They will leave out of greed and to line their pockets. It certainly won’t equate with more on-field success in most cases.

This is what I imagine is (and should be) keeping Currie up at night.

"There is another landing spot for FSU and Clemson: a new, restructured ACC — a similar plan discussed among seven schools last spring.

The idea back then: 8-10 schools vote to break away from the league, end the grant of rights with a majority decision and reform with a TV deal that is just as valuable but with fewer mouths to feed, so to speak."

This is what I imagine is (and should be) keeping Currie up at night.

"There is another landing spot for FSU and Clemson: a new, restructured ACC — a similar plan discussed among seven schools last spring.

The idea back then: 8-10 schools vote to break away from the league, end the grant of rights with a majority decision and reform with a TV deal that is just as valuable but with fewer mouths to feed, so to speak."
Agreed

Back