• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Yeah, it's better to go to a bowl than not, but come on. This is our bowl streak.
View attachment 3450
I see 4 opponents from the supposedly only 2 conferences that matter.

And let's see. Since 2011, the first year it was called the Belk Bowl (now Duke's Mayo), every ACC team (not counting Wake's 2 appearances) has been one of the so-called Magnificent 7 (minus Duke and Louisville once each -- but UL played UGA that year !).

Pinstripe Bowl has had Miami and VT in recent years

Carolina, VT (several times), and UVA in the Military Bowl in recent years

Gator Bowl gets all kinds of big name teams

Gasparilla Bowl rarely has ACC teams, but did have the might UF a year before us

It's so weird to see people breaking down a bowl streak. For P5 conferences, "bowl streak" is exactly the same as an over .500 streak. That's all it is. The bowl and opponent don't really matter. Wins do.

Here are the ACC wins over the last 7 years minus the fluky COVID year of 2020:

76 Clemson

49 Wake
48 Pitt
46 State
44 Miami
43 FSU
42 VT
41 Louisville

36 BC
36 Duke
35 UNC
35 Cuse
34 UVa
32 Tech

One great program. Seven programs at around 7-8 wins. Six 5-6 win programs.

That's the ACC and where we stand.

For more than twenty years, the "prevailing wisdom" was that:

a) WF would lose the game of 'Musical Chairs" through each round of expansion (has not happened yet)
b) WF would be unable to compete as conferences consolidated and through the advent of NIL and the transfer portal (WF has found its greatest success in all sports, except in men's basketball, where it has recently improved)

Eventually, the naysayers may prove to finally get it right, but love how those predicting WF's demise have been loud wrong for so long. So, keep going with the Captain Obvious takes about how WF is going to get screwed. Maybe you will finally find your nut...

I don't disagree with the factual accuracy of the first part of this. But do you not think the ACC is a zombie conference? I think the risk now is much larger than in the past.

If I were in charge, I'd forget about the SEC and the B10 (because that ain't happening in a way that preserves the ACC), get with the most desirable remaining teams in the Pac10 and B12 and create what I hope would become a third meaningful conference. Anything else is wishful thinking, most especially any hope that the ACC will remain a meaningful conference. Because sadly all that matters now (in our entire culture; not just sports) is money, and the money thing makes the ACC a zombie conference. Or at least the functional equivalent of Glen underneath that dumpster.

First they destroyed the ACC Basketball tournament. Now they are going to destroy football. Bastards.

You mean the guy that said UConn was coming to the ACC, TCU was heading to the SEC, UW/Oregon to the Big Ten, amongst other things that have been blatantly wrong?
He’s not a nobody though. That doesn’t mean he’s right.

Hold up. So the big plan FSU, UNC, etc seem to be so excited about is joining UCF, Houston, WVU, etc in the Big XII?

I will be fully clear. The Never any Hope ? Schtick...long standing.

Feeling that what matters is winning conference championships and being in tournaments that give you a chance to win a national championship. Not Schtick. Consistently being in Gasparilla Bowls etc ? that's fine... if that's what you all see as the goal ? great. I don't. I want to win ACC or whatever conference we are in championships in football. I want to be relevant on a national stage by going to the NCAA Tournament in basketball. That's my standard for success in the team I root for. If that makes me an asshat so be it.

And the only teams doing a better job of that in the ACC are Clemson and the team that beat Wake in the ACC Championship, Pitt.

Feeling that what matters is winning conference championships and being in tournaments that give you a chance to win a national championship. Not Schtick. Consistently being in Gasparilla Bowls etc ? that's fine... if that's what you all see as the goal ? great. I don't. I want to win ACC or whatever conference we are in championships in football. I want to be relevant on a national stage by going to the NCAA Tournament in basketball. That's my standard for success in the team I root for. If that makes me an asshat so be it.
There are multiple measures of success. It still means something if you make the postseason and don’t win it all in every sport. If you want national championships in football then you went to the wrong school. It’s never going to happen even if the ACC becomes the most powerful league in history.

There are multiple measures of success. It still means something if you make the postseason and don’t win it all in every sport. If you want national championships in football then you went to the wrong school. It’s never going to happen even if the ACC becomes the most powerful league in history.
i said win conference championships in football...i don't think that is an unreasonable expectation at all. And believe it or not, Wake's athletic success played a minimal factor in where i decided to go to school

So much wrong with this post.

We went to Gasparilla bowl once. We also went to Gator and a couple "bigger bowls" than Gasparilla.

We all want the same success, which is to win conference championships and compete for national titles.

Realistically, there have been 6 or so football programs who have cometed for national championships over the past 15 years. If anything less than being one of those 6 is a failure you, then you have too high of expectations.

If you can't enjoy the small victories, like Jamie Newman beating State in Raleigh to get us bowl eligible and ruin State's chance at a NY6 bowl that year, then I don't know what to tell you. If you can't enjoy watching historic offenses the past few seasons, I don't know what to tell ya.

Downplaying what Clawson has done with tie smallest P5 program in America does indeed make you an ass hat, if you're actually a fan of Wake Forest.

i said win conference championships in football...i don't think that is an unreasonable expectation at all. And believe it or not, Wake's athletic success played a minimal factor in where i decided to go to school
I mean we did make the ACCCG. Had a chance to win the championship. How many teams in a division with Dabo-era Clemson can say that they did that

Back