• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

PTI segment yesterday said that SMU hit up 30 of their largest boosters and quickly cobbled together $100MM for mostly NIL to compete in the ACC; assumption most of it going to football; lack of ACC media rights be-damned. Maybe FSU should try this approach, in their case getting their orange barons or whomever to pony up vs. SMU's oil $$.
Yeah, SMU doesn't need our television revenue. They just needed to be in a power 5, er 4, conference so they can recruit with the big boys. Say what you want about expansion, adding the Dallas and SF markets without having to share any of that revenue for a while is good for the ACC.

Something tells me WSU and OSU will be about as successful with their suits as SueConn was with the ACC.

PTI segment yesterday said that SMU hit up 30 of their largest boosters and quickly cobbled together $100MM for mostly NIL to compete in the ACC; assumption most of it going to football; lack of ACC media rights be-damned. Maybe FSU should try this approach, in their case getting their orange barons or whomever to pony up vs. SMU's oil $$.
Lol at the idea of fsu boosters stepping up the plate.

Yeah, SMU doesn't need our television revenue. They just needed to be in a power 5, er 4, conference so they can recruit with the big boys. Say what you want about expansion, adding the Dallas and SF markets without having to share any of that revenue for a while is good for the ACC.

Something tells me WSU and OSU will be about as successful with their suits as SueConn was with the ACC.
Agree with the first part; as for the 2nd part, WSU and the Beavers already won the first round of the legal battle against the Pac-12, and got to believe that they are smart enough to try to limit the litigation to friendly jurisdictions and judges until the case settles, and guessing it will settle with Wazzu and Oregon State getting a bigger share of whatever is paid to the Pac-12 this year (looking like the Pac-12 will get at least one CFP participant, and possibly two; so, a lot of money could be coming to the Pac-12 before they conference is closed out), and with those schools retaining the rate to keep the Pac-12 name and IP to allow those two to build their own conference and negotiate their own media rights.

Really a shame that the conference fell apart; this will be a great season for the Pac-12. Feel like if this had happened a year or two ago, the Pac-12 may not have cratered. Do Utah and the Arizona schools really want to be in a conference with Cincy, Houston and UCF? There has to be some buyer's remorse on their side as the Pac-12 is hot this year, and next year, who is fired up for Arizona State v. UCF?

I don't know if there's buyer remorse or not but I think it's definitely making them pause a little bit if the choices are between maintaining somewhat traditional games with Wazzu/Oregon State vs playing the schools you mentioned. Oregon, Washington, and USC weren't gonna be a part of that equation moving forward (even if the Pac12 had this season a couple years back) and they're the top three schools in the conference this year

I wonder if ESPN regrets not negotiating a compromise with the Pac-12.

I mean I seem to recall some schools specifically said they weren't interested in bringing OSU WSU along.

This might be some crazy genius stuff here. Solves the problem of the PAC 12 and MWC surviving, and that not all MWC football programs are even decent. Plus, not mentioned, the Big Sky seems to have like a third of the top 25 FCS programs in the country. Have three conferences involved, tied together, relegating up and down.

"One of the key questions: Will the NCAA and CFP even consider the two separate conferences?"

I mean, how could they not? This is no different than bigger money conference A stealing smaller money conference Bs two best teams. Has been happening every year now, and the conferences still are recognized.

What is different is that the two worst teams aren't typically shipped out or claimed by a lower money conference.* How would that be the differentiator in what is one conference vs two?
*OSU and WSU exception that proves rule

This is two conferences, with a scheduling alliance, and contractual agreements about what theft between conferences is acceptable.

I think their pretend $7.5 million and $5 million numbers are too low. I would watch this and follow it. If it works, and draws interest, it could substitute for the idea that 32 or 48 or 60 schools, selected by random realignment happenings in the past, crystallize and withdraw into a Super League and pull the ladder up behind them.

A bit more, although this seems to be coming from Boise State and not Oliver Luck/OSU/WSU.

Sapakoff was calling for Wake to be axed from the ACC for being too small 20 years ago .

If Clemson leaves, the ACC could keep TV cameras out of Death Valley for a decade

Back