• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

An excerpt from Currie's message today:

Good Afternoon Demon Deacon Nation,

Sandwiched between two fun basketball wins inside Joel Coliseum yesterday afternoon and what we hope will be a festive and safe holiday weekend for you and your loved ones, we bring you this special edition of From the Quad following today’s news that Florida State has authorized legal action against the Atlantic Coast Conference. You can also read the ACC’s statement here.

We are not surprised by the comments from this morning’s FSU Board of Trustees meeting indicating their dissatisfaction with the ACC which mirrored their complaints from their August board meeting. And, as I shared in From the Quad earlier this week, we understand and share their disappointment in not being selected for the College Football Playoff.

Regardless of how FSU feels, the ACC’s status as the top academic and athletic conference in the country, our long standing partnership with ESPN, the growth of the ACC Network, our grant-of-rights through 2036, and our 18 leading institutions in the nation’s most dynamic states and markets give us tremendous strength as a league. We are excited about Stanford, Cal, and SMU joining as full members next summer as well as the adoption of the innovative success-initiative revenue distribution model that will provide significant opportunities for institutions who have invested in, and achieved, competitive success.

As articulated in the Strategic Framework, Wake Forest is committed to meaningful, mutual partnerships. Indeed, as a charter member of the ACC, the conference represents one of Wake Forest’s oldest and most strategic partnerships.

The ACC office was prepared for this action and has already taken proactive legal steps in anticipation of this FSU action. I am confident in the leadership of the ACC Board of Directors and Executive Committee, including our President Susan R. Wente, Ph.D., and Commissioner Jim Phillips, in protecting and enhancing our league amidst a time of unprecedented evolution in college sports.

At Wake Forest, we are uncompromised on our commitment to compete at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics while delivering a World Class Student-Athlete Experience. With our 2.7 million Demon Deacons fans ranking as the fastest growing fanbase in America since 2019, 10 NCAA championships, elite athletics facilities, and a dynamic home city in the heart of North Carolina, we will continue to deliver value to the ACC.

Student-athletes choose Wake Forest because of the opportunity to obtain an elite and distinctive education while competing with the best and against the best on the country’s biggest stages. While today’s announcement from Florida State may create anxiety for some, and will surely provide plenty of content for radio talk shows, rest assured that Wake Forest is in a strong position. Our focus continues towards our vision of being A Model Intercollegiate Athletics Program centered on our five core goals led by providing a World Class Student-Athlete Experience.
It’s very obvious that he left Wente’s PhD and didn’t include it for Philips!

I really worry about where we end up in all this. I think our commissioner is an idiot. FSU has been mad for a while and they’re idiots but he’s done nothing to make this better. He should have been all over the place lobbying beforehand for FSU and getting in Boo Corrigan’s ear. And after, if that failed, he should have been messaging outrage all over the place and encouraged other schools to follow suit. This dude doesn’t gaf about the ACC. I’d rather have almost anyone other than him.

The bench in NC is generally about as prejudicial to anything Womble says as this crowd is to anything I post.
Not trying to troll. Do you mean "deferential" rather than prejudicial?

huh-confused.gif

Yea whatever. It ain’t good.

Unless you represent the other side. One thing you know for sure: the won’t try the case. Have no clue how many jury strikes they get. Draft a mean ass 10-12 page letter. Daily.

Elevator chicken shit broke ass blow hards.

Unless you represent the other side. One thing you know for sure: the won’t try the case. Have no clue how many jury strikes they get. Draft a mean ass 10-12 page letter. Daily.

“Yeah whatever. They’re just words. You know what I mean despite what I said, I mean typed, I mean…I’m a lawyer, ok. Don’t you get it?!”

Last edited:

One thing we know for sure. The ACC GOR is not going to a jury trial. Cmon man. This is an MSJ at the worst.

I’m currently in the market to hire an attorney. Anyone with good leads? I don’t have a very high bar (pun very much intended).

One stipulation. I lack experience in the field, so I’m going to need someone who’s familiar with all that fancy “lawyer talk”; you know, like, we show up to court and they don’t mistakenly use ‘prejudiced’ or ‘deferential’ when they mean ‘prejudicial,’ etc. That kind of expertise in the industry vernacular sounds really tricky to me.

I’m currently in the market to hire an attorney. Anyone with good leads? I don’t have a very high bar (pun very much intended).

One stipulation. I lack experience in the field, so I’m going to need someone who’s familiar with all that fancy “lawyer talk”; you know, like, we show up to court and they don’t mistakenly use ‘prejudiced’ or ‘deferential’ when they mean ‘prejudicial,’ etc. That kind of expertise in the industry vernacular sounds really tricky to me.
I'm a Wake Forest graduate with a fairly good grasp of vocabulary and the law.

I don't know what "the bench in NC is generally about as prejudicial to anything Womble says as this crowd is to anything I post" means either.

I don't know if it means judges are deferential to Womble or prejudiced against Womble. I can't make prejudicial (detrimental) work.

DR seems to be trying to share with us not in the know something about Womble and the NC judiciary. I don't know what it is!

If the self-reference is that the board is prejudiced against what DR says (which makes more sense than that the board is deferential to DR), that suggests that the behavior of both Womble and NC judges is predictable relative to the other, and that it can be predicted the judges will be prejudiced against Womble.

That's a pretty impressive thing for Womble to overcome the past century or so!

An excerpt from Currie's message today:

Good Afternoon Demon Deacon Nation,

...The ACC office was prepared for this action and has already taken proactive legal steps in anticipation of this FSU action. I am confident in the leadership of the ACC Board of Directors and Executive Committee, including our President Susan R. Wente, Ph.D., and Commissioner Jim Phillips, in protecting and enhancing our league amidst a time of unprecedented evolution in college sports...

Hey, John, you forgot to put "Ph.D." after Jim Phillips' name! :D

nothing to see here.jpeg

Last edited:
Back