• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I would be very surprised if the ACC offered a bigger revenue share to F$U. That would mean other schools would be voting to have less money for themselves.
Ain’t happening.
If I were counsel for the ACC, settling on any basis compromising in any regard the GOR wouldn’t be happening either. You better believe that would make the difference to State, UNC and UVA challenging the GOR agreement.
I‘d make FSU take every step of that Walk of Shame. That would end up in the AD, the pres, and the entire board who voted for it being history.

Considering we kick Womble’s ass regularly while barely paying attention, this seems like another horrible decision by Phillips.

Use the same lawyers you’ve always used dumbass. All they did was win and at a fair price unlike those wasteful folks at Womble.

Another horrible impact of heading to Charlotte Is that the bench there barely has ACC homers on it. Sadly the best Superor Court Judge in Mecklenburg (that Strickland guy) is conflicted out. Same with WDNC where that case will now be removed. Whole different game in MDNC.
I recognized that at the time and wondered why we would do that.

Lulz at hiring Womble, they have to be doing a happy dance about the insane amount they are about to bill. The case is going to be in business court, not Meck Superior.
True about first and second, but not that sure the second makes any difference.

Wait … did Donnie Ross call other lawyers “blowhards”…. Hahaha this thread delivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s very obvious that he left Wente’s PhD and didn’t include it for Philips!
I don't know about Philips but I think it must be in Wente's contract at Wake that hers is included in all references. I have never seen her listed as anything but Dr. Wente or Susan Wente, PhD

Some college presidents come out of academia and have PhDs. Some do not. So it makes sense to specify it there.

Ain’t happening.
If I were counsel for the ACC, settling on any basis compromising in any regard the GOR wouldn’t be happening either. You better believe that would make the difference to State, UNC and UVA challenging the GOR agreement.
I‘d make FSU take every step of that Walk of Shame. That would end up in the AD, the pres, and the entire board who voted for it being history.
I'm still not getting why FSU is talking about leaving when they have no apparent offer or interest from the SEC or B1G. I agree - let them wail and gnash teeth as much as they want and don't give in to them on anything.

The comments on what Currie said are insane. Despite EVERYTHING F$U has said this past year, he did not mention Florida State once in a negative light, all he did was speak to what he believed were the strengths of the conference. Yet FSU fans are out in droves trashing us for whatever reason? I will not miss that fanbase once they leave. At all.

Last edited:
FSU leaves and the ACC will be just fine… if Clemson and UNC leave then it’s a problem. But FSU? Elite ACC schools should have never gotten in bed with rednecks in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (theACC.com) - “Florida State’s decision to file action against the Conference is in direct conflict with their longstanding obligations and is a clear violation of their legal commitments to the other members of the Conference. All ACC members, including Florida State, willingly and knowingly re-signed the current Grant of Rights in 2016, which is wholly enforceable and binding through 2036. Each university has benefited from this agreement, receiving millions of dollars in revenue and neither Florida State nor any other institution, has ever challenged its legitimacy.
“As a league, we are proud of the successes of our student-athletes and that the ACC has won the most NCAA National Championships over the past two and half years while also achieving the highest graduation success and academic performance rates among all FBS conferences, so it is especially disappointing that FSU would choose to pursue this unprecedented and overreaching approach.
“We are confident that the Grant of Rights, which has been honored by all other universities who signed similar agreements, will be affirmed by the courts and the Conference’s legal counsel will vigorously enforce the agreement in the best interests of the ACC’s current and incoming members.”

I like the headline's inclusion of "Statement from...Jim Phillips, Ph.D." :rolleyes:

I am always skeptical of anyone who feels compelled to unnecessarily remind the world that he has a Ph.D., especially when the degree is in "education administration" from Tennessee. :rolleyes:

Sorry, Jim, I ain't the least bit impressed with your Ph.D. In fact, I think you have been failing miserably in your job since the day you took over as ACC commish.
Shitting on where someone got a degree always strikes as incredibly childish and stupid. I don’t care where he got his PhD from. The man put in the work and earned it. Don’t be a petty asshat

The comments on what Currie said are insane. Despite EVERYTHING F$U has said this past year, he did not mention Florida State once in a negative light, all he did was speak to what he believed were the strengths of the conference. Yet FSU fans are out in droves trashing us for whatever reason? I will not miss that fanbase once they leave. At all.
His response was exactly what it should have been.

Shitting on where someone got a degree always strikes as incredibly childish and stupid. I don’t care where he got his PhD from. The man put in the work and earned it. Don’t be a petty asshat
I didn’t make the statement but I will chuckle anyway. I think that most folks recognize the difference between where someone got their PhD these days.

Considering we kick Womble’s ass regularly while barely paying attention, this seems like another horrible decision by Phillips.

Use the same lawyers you’ve always used dumbass. All they did was win and at a fair price unlike those wasteful folks at Womble.

Another horrible impact of heading to Charlotte Is that the bench there barely has ACC homers on it. Sadly the best Superor Court Judge in Mecklenburg (that Strickland guy) is conflicted out. Same with WDNC where that case will now be removed. Whole different game in MDNC.
when have you kicked womble’s ass?

when have you kicked womble’s ass?
I’ll add that we’re comparing a local personal injury firm with Big Law? And I say this as an education lawyer in a 8 lawyer firm, but my husband is a Big Law partner and comparing our firms would be like comparing two entirely different professions. Similar to what just happened here.

Seems like this is case of someone wanting a huge raise without another job offer out there. That generally doesn’t work out. Either you end up staying at your current firm and there is resentment on both sides or you are in the job market.

Back