• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I'm going to be 60 in 2036. Most of the current football coaches will be retired by then. So dumb to sign an agreement for that long.
Was it dumb for a university to give you a lifetime contract (I'm assuming you have one)? :giggle:

Was it dumb for a university to give you a lifetime contract (I'm assuming you have one)? :giggle:
It would have been dumb for me to agree to it if there was as much money on the academic side of the university as there is on athletics.

Washington State, Oregon State, UConn and Tulane or Memphis with four pods of five teams?

Kinda like that better even than having Clemson and FSU
hard to see our way through the financial chaos that Clemson/FSU departures will cause. At some point soon the current ACC broadcast contract is going to be cancelled, and there are going to be numerous ACC programs who experience a very sudden economic shortfall.

I’m confident that Wake Forest athletics can survive after the current ACC collapses, but we need to be financially prepared for that.

Wouldn't be shocked if Clemson's strategy is to hope (or perhaps have knowledge of) that some of the others in the ACC will either also sue or at least oppose suing Clemson, and that a fractured ACC will capitulate, settle and let a group of schools out of the GOR with limited compensation. It had been previously reported that the ACC's magnificent 7 (FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, NC State, UVA and VT) might want to leave the ACC en masse. If the seven can't join another conference, maybe they think they can form their own conference and negotiate a larger payout per school than the current ACC deal. To me, that would be the worst case scenario for WF. FWIW, I can see ESPN pulling some strings here. The four letter network has played a big role in the radical changes in college sports.

Also, WF would never get invited join the Big East, unless Duke wanted to join and demanded that WF come with them. Don't see that happening.

Last edited:
I think you can safely assume Clemson knows where it is going (Big Ten I guess)? Otherwise, there would be no reason to file the suit.
Probably. Or maybe a flex to force a more advantageous asymmetric revenue distribution.

It seems like this is all pointing to profitable football programs trying to avoid sharing revenue with programs that are significantly less profitable/popular, with the possibility of schools like Vandy or northwestern being jettisoned in the future.

If that is the case, logic would dictate that Wake athletics would find its way to a competitive equilibrium with similarly profitable football programs.

Wouldn't be shocked if Clemson's strategy is to hope (or perhaps have knowledge of) that some of the others in the ACC will either also sue or at least oppose suing Clemson, and that a fractured ACC will capitulate, settle and let a group of schools out of the GOR with limited compensation. It had been previously reported that the ACC's magnificent 7 (FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, NC State, UVA and VT) might want to leave the ACC in masse. If the seven can't join another conference, maybe they think they can form their own conference and negotiate a larger payout per school than the current ACC deal. To me, that would be the worst case scenario for WF. FWIW, I can see ESPN pulling some strings here. The four letter network has played a big role in the radical changes in college sports.

Also, WF would never get invited join the Big East, unless Duke wanted to join and demanded that WF come with them. Don't see that happening.
Not after the court storming fiasco. DR called, Duke will never play in the Joel again.

Just like the poster I was replying to, I was using random schools that really do not move the needle for the fan base. Certainly Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St, Wisconsin, Nebraska, USC, Oregon and Washington would.

You have Georgia at Death Valley in 2029, so go ahead and chalk up another loss.

I'm going to be 60 in 2036. Most of the current football coaches will be retired by then. So dumb to sign an agreement for that long.
Why is it patently dumb? The lifespan of a conference, like a corporation, is theoretically infinite so the fact that you will be what you consider old in 2036 (though I can tell you that 60 is not old) or that current football coaches might be retired is of no consequence.
There were reasons that the deal was a good one and that is why all the schools signed it. The two big ones were conference stability and bargaining power. There was a rush to negotiate better media deals and to react to MD leaving the conference.

Think about it - without the GOR agreement the ACC could already look like the PAC-2...

Back