• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

The other 4 conferences don't have the votes or legislative support to shut the ACC, ND, BE, and 4 other conferences out of a fair payout from a new playoff system (they won't get ND vote because ND wants to remain independent). They are only 48 schools and 4 of 11 BCS votes (assuming WAC is dead). If they do decide to break away it would be impossible to break away without the ACC, Congress would stop the move and business wise it would be anti competitive to where people could be threatened with jail time. Don't think ESPN couldn't be dragged into some legal hot water as well as there is building evidence they were helping move conference members around and getting schools like Pitt and FSU to sign contracts in bad faith.

Last edited:
The payout will go to the conferences. Where we will get fucked is in the qualification process. Just like the BCS bowls now, there are conferences that send teams more often than others. Any qualification system that includes strength of schedule will hurt the ACC. Additionally, we have no top teams to ride coattails to the playoff. No SC, Texas, Bama, tOSU etc etc.....anything short of an automatic qualifier hurts us, and it doesn't appear that an auto bid is possible.

The payout will go to the conferences. Where we will get fucked is in the qualification process. Just like the BCS bowls now, there are conferences that send teams more often than others. Any qualification system that includes strength of schedule will hurt the ACC. Additionally, we have no top teams to ride coattails to the playoff. No SC, Texas, Bama, tOSU etc etc.....anything short of an automatic qualifier hurts us, and it doesn't appear that an auto bid is possible.

Yes, the ACC will be hurt because of the weakness of the same teams that think they are too good for the ACC.

Yes, the ACC will be hurt because of the weakness of the same teams that think they are too good for the ACC.

Too good for the ACC? I think you are missing the point. I hope the ACC can figure it out and keep the conference together, but I also understand the people wanting to jump ship. When your rival is crushing you in revenue simply because they happen to be in a different conference, you have to find a way to close the gap.

Like this is really about money to any of you fans. You think you are going to a conference with big football teams and that you are magically going to become world beaters lol. The truth is in 5 years when you and FSU and whoever else that leaves doesn't come close to sniffing a playoff or BCS game and rarely finish above 5th or 6th in the conference are going to ask yourself why did we leave we could be playing for a BCS or Playoff game right now. So fans need to stop dragging money into the equation because most could give a shit about it. The same goes for WVU.

As a Wake fan I would take being in a conference with BE and ACC remnants and winning over being a bottom dweller in any other conference. What would be nice is if the big basketball programs stayed behind and shut out the big 4 conferences from a tourney. I would at least hope that the other 80 fbs teams would refuse to play these big 4 teams in any sport if they try to shun them out.

The ignorance of the small private school, basketball centric fans in this thread is a huge example of why this conference is going to pieces.

well there is a hive board to read. And the people on this board have nothing to do with why the conference is going to shit. The conference is going to shit because our so called football schools can't put a product on the field even though they bring in top 10 classes. These fball schools need to look at themselves as being the problem instead of the ACC.

The ignorance of the small private school, basketball centric fans in this thread is a huge example of why this conference is going to pieces.

If the schools which lay claim to the title of "football school" were actually worth a damn in the sport, the conference wouldn't be close to going to pieces.

Too good for the ACC? I think you are missing the point. I hope the ACC can figure it out and keep the conference together, but I also understand the people wanting to jump ship. When your rival is crushing you in revenue simply because they happen to be in a different conference, you have to find a way to close the gap.

I'd start by not getting blown to fucking pieces by a Big East team on national TV. If you don't think Clemson's embarrassing performance in the Orange Bowl did not effect the perception of the conference and, thus, the television deal, I don't know what to tell you. Except for VT, the top teams in the ACC have not been the least bit nationally relevant the past 4-5 years. That's why this deal is bad. You can blame the 'small private school, basketball centric' programs if you like, but that isn't the problem. Vandy isn't pulling the SEC down, and Northwestern isn't pulling the Big Ten down. If anything, Wake's recent commitment to football has been bad for the conference because it takes an easy win off the table.

Last edited:

If being in different conferences was the only reason why Tech, Clemson, and FSU are behind UGA, SC, and UF then they'd at least be dominant in the ACC.

If being in different conferences was the only reason why Tech, Clemson, and FSU are behind UGA, SC, and UF then they'd at least be dominant in the ACC.

If FSU thought it was embarrassing to lose to Wake in football, wait until TCU is whipping their ass.

Well Clemson just went to the Orange Bowl. Scar didn't come close to the BCS even though they smashed Clemson. Then Scar goes out and splashes a bunch of money to hire a good head coach for a basketball program that has zero history or tradition. It absolutely is about money, not sure how this is hard to see...

But Clemson isn't a perennial ACC leader and they got embarrassed in the Orange Bowl which is probably one of the reasons for such a poor TV deal. The ACC got the TV deal FSU, Clemson, and Tech deserve. Instead of getting better, FSU, Clemson, and Tech want the best deal that Texas and Oklahoma deserve.

Well Clemson just went to the Orange Bowl. Scar didn't come close to the BCS even though they smashed Clemson. Then Scar goes out and splashes a bunch of money to hire a good head coach for a basketball program that has zero history or tradition. It absolutely is about money, not sure how this is hard to see...

You realize that K-State wasn't paying Frank Martin shit, and K-State is a Big 12 school, which Clemson wants to be, so that it can pay a big name basketball coach...

Most BCS programs can easily afford to pay one mens basketball coach 2 mil a year, so that's a stupid excuse.

But Clemson isn't a perennial ACC leader and they got embarrassed in the Orange Bowl which is probably one of the reasons for such a poor TV deal. The ACC got the TV deal FSU, Clemson, and Tech deserve. Instead of getting better, FSU, Clemson, and Tech want the best deal that Texas and Oklahoma deserve.

Well the problem is expecting Clemson or GT to be the Texas or Ohio St. of the conference. You'll get no argument out of me that the ACC got the tv contract that it deserves. That still doesn't change the fact that we are significantly behind three other conferences in tv revenue and have a much less likely chance to send a team to a four team playoff, regardless of the qualification process.

Like I said, I'd rather the ACC stay together. I think the huge basketball fan bases would support an ACC Network. I think we are the best fit for ND. I can also see why people want to jump though....you can't ignore the money.

I can also see why people want to jump though....you can't ignore the money.

I think it all boils down to that, the rest of the "reasons" those fanbases list are just bullshit. Those schools (FSU, Clemson) couldn't earn that money themselves, so they want to go to a conference with schools that can earn for them. My question is whether those schools are counting on the losses they'll take on the field, and in revenue, from moving from the top of the ACC totem pole to the middle of the Big 12. How happy will those fanbases be when they're only winning 6 or 7 games a season vs. teams all the way across the country, whom they share no rivalry with.

I think it all boils down to that, the rest of the "reasons" those fanbases list are just bullshit. Those schools (FSU, Clemson) couldn't earn that money themselves, so they want to go to a conference with schools that can earn for them. My question is whether those schools are counting on the losses they'll take on the field, and in revenue, from moving from the top of the ACC totem pole to the middle of the Big 12. How happy will those fanbases be when they're only winning 6 or 7 games a season vs. teams all the way across the country, whom they share no rivalry with.

They obviously don't think they'll be mid pack, which they will be. They probably think Texas and OU will drag them up. I honestly don't think they are looking past the money. As to your other point, what rivalries?
I think Clemson cares about Scar, GT, and FSU most.....

Back