• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

Issues with Swafford are that he should have been paying more attention to schools not located in NC and VA. While he has correctly worked on football revenue, these schools do not feel that they have been treated as equals. It does not matter if it is true, this is how their leadership feels and it is affecting their behavior.

Secondly, he negotiated a long-term deal while ACC football and ACC basketball are not performing well. I would have gambled on a shorter term contract and gambled that our teams can improve over the next few years.

From what I've seen with the new Big XII contract expanding to 12 wouldn't cause per school revenue to increase based on clauses that prevent a new negotiation. Texas probably agreed to these clauses to make expansion less attractive during the contract since a CCG could screw their NC chances up, and they already earn more revenue than any college program because of additional revenue from LHN.

What is a look in and how does it work?

I believe it simply means that ESPN is willing to renegotiate the contract at the 5 year and/or 10 year period. If Va Tech or someone else wins a national championship or two during that period, I would think it would increase the value of the contract during renegotiation.

We can also renegotiate if we expand further. I'm sure adding Notre Dame would increase the value of the contract, for instance.

Based on what I have read, it is a mechanism that allows the TV contract to be brought up to market value. I imagine there is some kind of agreed upon valuation formula and appraisal process. Otherwise, it wouldn't really mean much.

Good column. Would be a lot better if he didn't turn into bkf at the end.

No shit. We'd be getting more at the beginning of this contract otherwise. My question was whether the contract could be negotiated downward.

I have no idea, but I have a hard time believing that ACC football will get worse.

Playoff system? Get ready for your Boise State-types to have less access

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...for-your-boise-statetypes-to-have-less-access

"Worse, in that it looks like for the first time since 1994, Notre Dame won't have at least de facto automatic access to a major bowl. Four years before the BCS was born, the Irish got into the 1994 Fiesta Bowl at 6-4-1. No more it would seem. Unless something drastic happens, Notre Dame is going to have the same access to the playoff as ... Army."

Playoff system? Get ready for your Boise State-types to have less access

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...for-your-boise-statetypes-to-have-less-access

"Worse, in that it looks like for the first time since 1994, Notre Dame won't have at least de facto automatic access to a major bowl. Four years before the BCS was born, the Irish got into the 1994 Fiesta Bowl at 6-4-1. No more it would seem. Unless something drastic happens, Notre Dame is going to have the same access to the playoff as ... Army."

These could be dominoes that need to fall for ND to make a move.

Looks like the ACC had more $ per school than previously expected:
10:08 a.m. — Spetman announces that FSU received more than it had expected from the ACC in conference distribution money. The Seminoles received $1.6 million more than the conference had originally told them. Were expecting about $14.1 million given in payouts on Dec. 1 (of last year) and June 1 (of this year). On June 1, the school received the additional money, totaling just short of $16 million for the year.

This means, that previously reported $500,000 budget shortfall the athletic department had from this past school year’s budget cycle, has now been cleared. FSU is in the black for that budget. Spetman said there also should not be a budget shortfall, as previously reported, for the next budgetary cycle. The athletics budget is in the black.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_fsu/2012/06/updates-florida-states-board-of-trustees-meet-in-sarasota.html

Maybe this eases the pressure a bit.

Back