• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

I was talking to my co-worker the other day, and he went to Penn State - he said it would be cool if they joined the ACC. So we have that going for us.

I don't think anyone would miss Ga Tech from an athletics standpoint. Obviously losing the ATL media market would not be good.

Not sure if this will happen or not, but Jim Delany is one of the biggest douches in sports. Hope these cable providers don't roll over to him, don't think they will.

And either way I think it's clear media members pretty freely throw out this shit knowing it will get them attention

Greg Swaim reporting that another ACC school will announce for B1G in next 7-10 days. GT seems to be most likely at this point if he's correct, but they don't border current state. I don't know if I believe this, but this could be a big domino.

Greg Swaim also said that Billy Donovan was a lock to leave Florida for NC State.

He is a clueless clown.

Our MD friend soooooooo wants the ACC to break up. Not going to happen. UNC is going nowhere.

Not sure if this will happen or not, but Jim Delany is one of the biggest douches in sports. Hope these cable providers don't roll over to him, don't think they will.
Hopefully the cable provider offices are ran by ACC executives

TV markets are more important if you have a network, less so if you don't. The Big Ten is after subscribers to the BTN, the ACC is after viewers for its games. This is why schools like GT and MD are a greater gain for them than a loss for us.

Granted an ACC Network is something that has been floated, so that would change things

So Wake is gonna get their share of another $50 million from GT too? Shaka Smart, come on down! :D

I hope it's $50mil, more likely $25-30 (completely random guess).

Why are we even responding, all other ACC schools supported the lawsuit to not let Maryland out of their contract with the ACC, they surely would look foolish now wanting to leave with that payout hanging over their heads also.

Seeing multiple reports now that GT has applied and B1G has approved membership. Who knows.

fwiw, in the event the ACC is no longer viable, the UNC BOT is apparently a fan of the B1G, while the AD and staff want the SEC. Both lobbying the (lame-duck, incompetent) Chancellor with their picks

Wake is doomed.

At least we already have quite a bit of familiarity with our future conference opponents in the Big South. Lucky thing we scheduled all those games with Liberty, Presby, and Gardner Webb.

WF: Big South FB champs in 2016!!!!!!!

I just did a search on Google News and saw nothing about this. Georgia Tech would be insane to have voted to charge themselves a $50 million exit fee.

Wake is doomed.

At least we already have quite a bit of familiarity with our future conference opponents in the Big South. Lucky thing we scheduled all those games with Liberty, Presby, and Gardner Webb.

hey, at least i will get to see them and i only have to drive 20 minutes...

Wake is doomed.

Can't wait to see 81Deac and Braces for crediting Wellman's great leadership turning Wake into an unattractive athletic program.

David Glenn had a bit on his show today calling out the hacks reporting GT to the B1G. Paraphrasing: Says that they may know something, but if so they are being intentionally vague and misleading. It's regular for Jim Delaney to seek approval on several schools, Maryland apparently had been contacted for several years after receiving approval from Big Ten Presidents. Apparently GT has been approved by B1G presidents along with several other schools but that doesnt really mean anything either way for whether they are likely to go or not, or if they've even been officially offered.

Back